The "why it is difficult to leave" thread

205 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Strange how you bragg about your barn conversion but scoff at mine!  

Difference being, we chose to buy on a hill instead of in the flood plain of a snow melt "tsunami" and we had a surveyor in first, unlike yours.

We sold the place in 1999 to a nice Brit couple. It's been rented out for years. Some have taken pics:

Image result for les brageaux

Which is the real reason you despise me and try to belittle me, Lavender Rain?

I am curious!

Maybe you could post your answer on lisa13’s True Confessions thread!

I have never had any contact to you, have never sent a PM or phoned you or anything.

3 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

There are pros and cons to every decision and every situation in life. I think what is making it so difficult in this case, John, is that you and Nicole were hoping to get out of Hamburg and move to what you thought was paradise. Unfortunately, you've discovered that your neighbors are French assholes (pardon the redundancy ;)) and that the islanders don't share your love of dogs and cats or the environment, to put it mildly.

Moving from one end of Europe to another is definitely a major step and, as I said, is probably one that you hoped would vastly improve your life situation and give you a place to grow old in the sun. Finding out that things aren't like you imagined them to be is certainly disheartening. And even if all the negatives are external, you'll still blame yourself for making the decision in the first place, which means cutting your losses and leaving would be tantamount to admitting failure in your mind. I think that, above all else, is what is making it so difficult for you to leave.

Whatever your decision, please don't make it based on a picture of goats on the side of the road or some  tree that you can see from your house. Make up a list of all the pros and cons, analyze it carefully together, and reach a consensus.

BTW: If you're looking for something more rural, you'll certainly find it in Schleswig-Holstein, once you get outside the Hamburg satellite towns.

That is an excellent post, by the way!🙏🏻👍🏼 Thank you.

4 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Whatever your decision, please don't make it based on a picture of goats on the side of the road or some  tree that you can see from your house.

Of course not, and I already heard a lot of hints from John that he and Nicole are basing their decision on long, hard thinking. And facts.

On the other hand, I kind of understand what John is saying in this topic.

Memory is a funny thing. You retain silly snapshots (such as John's cows on the road) and mundane anecdotes (I remember the only airconditioning on Gozo being in the local bank's ATM room) all mixed up with beautiful views like Emkay's sunset and Hoop's Welsh mountains.

I wish I could go back to Gozo and get my glasses all fogged up again at the bank ATM, with the sun blazing down outside... hundreds of birds chirping in the trees in the evening at the local bus stop (the only place where hunting them was prohibited), shitting on the cars illegally parked below... :D

43 minutes ago, john g. said:

That is an excellent post, by the way!🙏🏻👍🏼 Thank you.

For Jeffo, it was quite a mature post. I think was one of his most sensible. Well done. I mean that.

Do you wish to return to the cooler north John? Or maybe you'd like to come to the warmer south like Bayern or Baden Wurtemberg. Lifestyle down here is amazing.

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

Difference being, we chose to buy on a hill instead of in the flood plain of a snow melt "tsunami" and we had a surveyor in first, unlike yours.

We sold the place in 1999 to a nice Brit couple. It's been rented out for years. Some have taken pics:

Image result for les brageaux

Very nice looking property. Bringing thus back on topic, I would find it hard to give up a place so charming even if it made good sense.

I'm sure it only looked like that after the people who bought it fixed it up.

You know j² has never finished a project he's started (but it's always someone else's fault).

4 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Whatever your decision, please don't make it based on a picture of goats on the side of the road or some  tree that you can see from your house. Make up a list of all the pros and cons, analyze it carefully together, and reach a consensus

I am confident that john g is capable of taking an informed adult decision. Being an adult and all. :)

6 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

You know j² has never finished a project he's started (but it's always someone else's fault).

How would I know that?

How do you know that?

8 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I'm sure it only looked like that after the people who bought it fixed it up.

Sorry, obviously you can't read. It was my parents project not mine. I made it clear earlier. I was sort of the labourer on it.

Get out of that squat in Berlin and get some air old chap. I've been busy today outside...

4 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

No.. You said 'we'  3times and that indicates you were involved with the complete project.. 

That would be the incomplete complete project then? :lol: 

27 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Very nice looking property. Bringing thus back on topic, I would find it hard to give up a place so charming even if it made good sense.

I left for the Gulf just before the limestone chippings were laid in the yard. My mother offered it to me after her death but at the time I was single so it would have been a millstone.

10 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

No.. You said 'we'  3times and that indicates you were involved with the complete project.. 

Yes, I worked with my parents as a team of three of us. God you are stupid.

So dad was around to clean up after your messes and mum couldn't keep up with your shit after dad passed.

God you're an vile sack of manure.

So, half way through page 2,     posts (pretty blandly), and the usual suspects swoop and yet another thread piddles off into the void. You just can't help yourselves. Not that I am a particular fan of many of his posts, but really.

BORING, people, BORING.

5 minutes ago, kiplette said:

So, half way through page 2,     posts (pretty blandly), and the usual suspects swoop and yet another thread piddles off into the void. You just can't help yourselves. Not that I am a particular fan of many of his posts, but really.

BORING, people, BORING.

I wear my cardigan with pride. I am the Val Doonican of TT....

13 minutes ago, kiplette said:

BORING, people, BORING.

Indeed.

11 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I've mentioned before how tiny my apartment is but try as I might I just haven't been able to find a new place that would be worth leaving my garden.

Here is the bamboo I planted about 5 years ago. It was just a few short, spindly canes when it went in, and I had doubts it would survive in our wretched soil, but look at it now! 

IMG_20190617_193947_compress8.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! You also have  your " my tree !":rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

I am confident that john g is capable of taking an informed adult decision. Being an adult and all. :)

I appreciate your comment! Equally, I DO appreciate the comments some others have made in a " sharing mode."

The idea behind this thread is not only OUR  " dilemma " but an open topic for others to express their feelings, emotions, experiences etc.

Inclusive!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, kiplette said:

BORING, people, BORING.

12 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Indeed.

These are the tactics these neo-Stalinists attempt. Humiliation and ridcicule. It will fail.

This guy is actually left wing and really cool.