The "why it is difficult to leave" thread

205 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

5dd99b40e962e_Screenshot2019-11-23at21.4

0.24 MB = 0.24 Megabyte = 0.24 * 1,024 Kilobyte = 0.24 * 1,024 KB = 245.76 KB

I'm refering to the fact that it states kB i.e. kilo bytes as above and in the warning it states kb i.e. kilo bits.

8 minutes ago, rodisi said:

I'm refering to the fact that it states kB i.e. kilo bytes as above and in the warning it states kb i.e. kilo bits.

That's just a typo in the program texts. The limit is 240 kilobytes of image data per post.

Like PandaMunich said, if you hit the limit once, you have to refresh the page to make the forum software forget that you did, or you'll keep getting the same error message no matter what size files you try to upload.

There are pros and cons to every decision and every situation in life. I think what is making it so difficult in this case, John, is that you and Nicole were hoping to get out of Hamburg and move to what you thought was paradise. Unfortunately, you've discovered that your neighbors are French assholes (pardon the redundancy ;)) and that the islanders don't share your love of dogs and cats or the environment, to put it mildly.

Moving from one end of Europe to another is definitely a major step and, as I said, is probably one that you hoped would vastly improve your life situation and give you a place to grow old in the sun. Finding out that things aren't like you imagined them to be is certainly disheartening. And even if all the negatives are external, you'll still blame yourself for making the decision in the first place, which means cutting your losses and leaving would be tantamount to admitting failure in your mind. I think that, above all else, is what is making it so difficult for you to leave.

Whatever your decision, please don't make it based on a picture of goats on the side of the road or some  tree that you can see from your house. Make up a list of all the pros and cons, analyze it carefully together, and reach a consensus.

BTW: If you're looking for something more rural, you'll certainly find it in Schleswig-Holstein, once you get outside the Hamburg satellite towns.

Of course this sport I could do it anywhere, and actually I prefer riding in the woods which is forbidden in Germany so we are stuck to riding only in private cross tracks.  But the difference is that in Germany I do have the time for hobbies and I don't have to work 70 hours a week or more like I used to do back home.   And I couldn't do any winter sports back home.

Team.jpg.7e1da10de03ceabd0a579f0be7d5721

Good, affordable medical care would be high on my priority list. That's the main reason I can't move back to the U.S. to be closer to my son/family.

14 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

There are pros and cons to every decision and every situation in life. I think what is making it so difficult in this case, John, is that you and Nicole were hoping to get out of Hamburg and move to what you thought was paradise. Unfortunately, you've discovered that your neighbors are French assholes (pardon the redundancy ;)) and that the islanders don't share your love of dogs and cats or the environment, to put it mildly.

Moving from one end of Europe to another is certainly a major step and, as I said, is probably one that you hoped would vastly improve your life situation and give you a place to grow old in the sun. Finding out that things aren't like you imagined them to be is certainly disheartening. And even if all the negatives are external, you'll still blame yourself for making the decision in the first place, which means cutting your losses and leaving would be tantamount to admitting failure in your mind. I think that, above all else, is what is making it so difficult for you to leave.

Whatever your decision, please don't make it based on a picture of goats on the side of the road or some  tree that you can see from your house. Make up a list of all the pros and cons, analyze it carefully together, and reach a consensus.

BTW: If you're looking for something more rural, you'll certainly find it in Schleswig-Holstein, once you get outside the Hamburg satellite towns.

It is not any old tree, Jeffo! Unfortunately, it´s not a larch

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0zVsxUbbjM

1 hour ago, john g. said:

It is not any old tree, Jeffo! Unfortunately, it´s not a larch

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0zVsxUbbjM

I was going to include that Monty Python clip John! You stole my fire!

John, you've done what many of us Brits dream of, upping sticks and moving to the sun. It used to be called the Dordogne Dream or the Peter Mayle "Year in Provence" but even as he found there were negatives to "days of wine and olives". One of the disads down there is the quality of medical care which is far away from mountain villages. Another is the attitudes of the locals, man the treatment of animals there would affect me badly. I can't even go near a Tierheim in Germany (I donate to them lots instead). As we found in France, getting locals to do anything properly is a nightmare, especially if renovating an old barn like we did.

I strongly suspect that the true nightmare would be getting hired to do any work at all for j²'s wife - because j² would stand around the whole time kibitzing, telling the workers that they're not doing it properly, whilst endlessly waxing nostalgic about his glory days in Saudi Arabia.

That's why the workers only last a day before abandoning the project (and all hope of working for a sane person).

20 hours ago, hooperski said:

I enjoy riding my motorbike through stunning scenery like this.

Being out in the quiet open spaces like this just fills me with joy.

Ha ha.  Making them not quiet open spaces.  

40 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

As we found in France, getting locals to do anything properly is a nightmare, especially if renovating an old barn like we did.

Strange how you bragg about your barn conversion but scoff at mine!  

Just sayin'

26 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I strongly suspect that the true nightmare would be getting hired to do any work at all for j²'s wife - because j² would stand around the whole time kibitzing, telling the workers that they're not doing it properly, whilst endlessly waxing nostalgic about his glory days in Saudi Arabia.

Can you just fucking leave it out? The barn in question was 300 years old, it was my parents project and I worked on it a lot way before I flew to the Gulf or met my wife. You are so fucking arrogant and tiresome.

We worded hard on the project, made huge bonfires, cleared out barns of cowmuck, all the dusty hard work. Then ended the day round a huge log fire. Bliss. But similar to John's situation, the long drive down from Britain became tiring for my Dad, who was getting on. Owning a holiday place is harder work than people think.

Oh man, the carp I used to catch in those lakes down there were huge. 6lb beauties in quiet secret lakes who battled and bent my rod. Like a a scene from Thoreau's Walden.

John, you ought really to write something of your experiences down there. I'd love to read it.

6 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

John, you ought really to write something of your experiences down there. I'd love to read it.

He has...

Just click on his profile picture and click on "Activity"...    Its all there!   :lol:

56 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I strongly suspect that the true nightmare would be getting hired to do any work at all for j²'s wife - because j² would stand around the whole time kibitzing, telling the workers that they're not doing it properly, whilst endlessly waxing nostalgic about his glory days in Saudi Arabia....

....and outlandish U.S. conspiracy theories that's consumed him from propagandists internet sites. 

37 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

ON that we agree.

John. get a digital recorder and just start talking.

'this one time...in a Brazilian prison...'

Hi Tor! That will happen one day!

Brazilian and Argentine cop shops and Paraguayan military prison-why they were difficult to leave!!😀

That's why it's difficult for john g to leave TT for a day, got to write those long and short memories some place.