The "why it is difficult to leave" thread

331 posts in this topic

Yes! New office in place! Bloody big screen coming at 9 in the morning! All is set to go!聽

So all is well ( caveat- looking forward to visiting Crete in the springtime馃槀)!

This is one major reason we left. This is in our village , Kavousi. I know exactly where this is. What a state the dog was in ( now safely with Takis.)聽

5 minute walk from our house there.

This dog should be humanely put to sleep. She has had a terrible life,if you can call it that, and her cancer will kill her anyway. So sad. People who allow this to happen and treat animals so cruelly should be imprisoned for a long time.

It is a difficult moral/ ethical dilemma, Acton馃槱

We have loved dogs and cats on Crete in our 8 years there. We have had animals put to sleep by a vet because.. because... no chance of survival.. cancer and stuff. And we've paid a vet to operate on animals- even those who aren't ours. Some have been poisoned.. some have been run over and abandoned. Some we have fleetingly seen.

One dog , named amigo , was a stray in the village but our inn was full. He slept in the kitchen one night when it was raining but we had no resources. We reluctantly let him out the next day to wander around the village- and we got the news he'd been run over a couple of days later.

You see my profile pic on here? That's Max, chained by his neck for the first two years of his life.

Long story- adopted and the owner didn't give a shit. But his trauma had repercussions- he at some stage started biting people. The risk was too great- if he bit a child.

Tears in my eyes as I remember the vet looking at me and Max looking at me and me at him and the jab. And I had him killed. 馃檨

He was still young. And he loved chewing on a bone whilst resting on my lap on the sofa馃槹

So many such stories. And Crete has a long way to go re consciousness.

Takis never gives up - if an animal still wants to eat, it lives.

I'm reassessing my attitude. And it is painful.

I hope to find an update on the latest dog with cancer. I hope the dog can spend some happy times with his companions in the animal shelter.

Christmas Day update re the dog from Kavousi with cancer. Her name is Lisa and she's settling in nicely!

Countdown! We're off to Crete on Saturday with our dogs for 10 weeks or so. Quite amazing how quickly 6 months have gone by since we returned to Hamburg.

We have things to do- house still on the market ( the estate agent had been targetting Brits and Russians... don't think that's gonna pan out too well at the moment!) and there are the cats ( being fed and watered by a friend ) and we wonder whether the winter storms have damaged the house and whether water has seeped in (it ALWAYS does down there- whatever you do ).

We are looking forward to sun and sea but not looking forward to seeing stray dogs ( guaranteed ).

I've been so busy here I have hardly had time to meet most friends in Hamburg but hopefully later this summer.馃憤

Jassou Kriti馃槑.

Did you get to drink a beer with @tor?聽 *slightly jealous* ;)

Or is he singing in a different town?

Unfortunately not! I have been so busy south of the river and only went to Hamburg proper once- for a check on my聽dodgy eye at a hospital.

And in the winter months, too dark too early and I don't trust my vision when it's dark. I can't do evenings yet. It will hopefully be better in the summer after my eye op.