The "why it is difficult to leave" thread

324 posts in this topic

Getting closer! Flight booked to Hamburg for us and two dogs on October 29th!

Sorting out which shirts etc are a no-go in Hamburg at this time of year. Two suitcases only.

Priorities... much will remain here till the Spring when we will need to return to sort out even more shirts etc😂

( Edit: shirts ... that's my babe. Nicole... other stuff😄)...

I will keep paying the rent for the office out of loyalty to the old landlady Kaiope - I mean, I've even been paying German tax all these years whilst living here. ( But for legal reasons and to feed the 5,000 in Harburg😄🙁).

Stuff will remain in the office. Even the computer. I ain't carrying that big bugger back. I will need it in the Spring , anyway.

My technician is organising a 24 inch screen for Hamburg.. then I can bloody see it! 🙁

My eyesight is not the best but that should work! Taking months' worth of my special eyedrops with me! No prescription required- unlike in Germany, where I would need to go to an eye doctor - and the waiting time for a check up is several months in Harburg . Went through this some months ago- sod that. I couldn't buy the eye drops.

All those gloriously witty Cretan T-shirts? They can wait for my return. No use in a Hamburg winter.

We have potential buyers for the house. They live close to Hamburg and we will meet them there anyway. If not, ok. The house will be " winterfest." And carry on next year.

Strange it all is. 8 years of seeing old folk dressed in black walking up and down hilly paths carrying bags with mountain herbs, Greek Orthodox chapels every 30 yards or so, being called Mr John instead of Herr Gunn ( I LOVE the former ), the difficult local dialect, finding excuses to turn down the local delicacy of snails in olive oil, the glorious sunrises and sunsets, feta, goats are adorable, sigh...

But the downsides.. but not tonight. I am feeling surrealistic with this situation.

Crete, babe. Love you despite and despite... but a new life phase must take place. 

Kalo vradi❤️

Glad that all is going well with the travel back to Germany. I am in the process of trying to get things sorted for my move to Scotland at the end of this month. Will probably travel to Amsterdam and the on the ferry to Newcastle ( overnight ), more expensive but a lot shorted drive on the other side. Also if I fill up in Holland I have enough fuel to make it to Inverness.

Godspeed to both of you. And may the nocturnal, near-November North Sea be as calm as a mirror.

Am dealing with horrendous corruption in the US... maybe I'll retire in Germany after all... *deep sigh*.

More progress! I asked my technical guy in Hamburg to order me a brand new computer! And he has!

So when we get back to Hamburg soon- my biggest wish: a BIG screen! 27 inches!😇❤️😄

So I can see what is on the bloody thing, hopefully even in the evenings!

And very little Kabelsalat - my second wish! 

👀😂

On 07/10/2021, 13:13:07, Metall said:

Am dealing with horrendous corruption in the US... maybe I'll retire in Germany after all... *deep sigh*.

Do it, dear! I've heard the weather is great in Germany!

I recommend having 2 displays.  Can do work on one whilst use the other for mail, searching for files <whatever>

Well, HEM, that's what Murat also asked me about and offered it but I decided against. I get easily confused!😊😂

Aren't emails part of work anyway?😄

3 hours ago, john g. said:

So when we get back to Hamburg soon- my biggest wish: a BIG screen! 27 inches!

So I can see what is on the bloody thing, hopefully even in the evenings!

Why so modest, 55" is bigger than 27"! 

799€ at Otto.de, it costs over 1,000€ elsewhere.

And it also has an excellent soundbar (= speakers).

Philips 558M1RY/00 Gaming-Monitor (139,7 cm/55 ", 3840 x 2160 Pixel, 4K Ultra HD, 4 ms Reaktionszeit, 60 Hz, VA LCD)

https://www.otto.de/p/philips-558m1ry-00-gaming-monitor-139-7-cm-55-3840-x-2160-pixel-4k-ultra-hd-4-ms-reaktionszeit-60-hz-va-lcd-1410548574/#variationId=1410548575

d24cf13f-e4c1-5b3f-a2d1-eebc78629824.jpe

ezgif-6-32efe5da2067.jpg.ba6c0e300a16c1c

7 hours ago, HEM said:

I recommend having 2 displays.  Can do work on one whilst use the other for mail, searching for files <whatever>

Seconded.  For me having two screens works better than I ever though it would.  If/when I buy a Windows 11 machine I'll seriously consider three screens!  

This moving business, this changing of climate, this packing of suitcases and stuff. I KNOW we've had a long, hot summer but can I really only find ONE pair of socks? 😂

I do remember having a clear out in August or so. Was I THAT drastic?🤣

Blimey! Packing for Friday!  Our suitcases ! Ok, the dogs will be under the seats in their own bags- so that's a different issue🤣

So Nicole says today  " John, what do you reckon? Is my suitcase heavy?"

" Yep. Blimey."

Smile from Nicole.. " my Barbie doll is in there!"😂

Gotta love that woman!❤️😂

By the way, I can hardly lift mine, either. All those indispensable shirts!😂

Greetings from leafy Harburg, all and sundry!😂

First tip: never ever fly on Oct 29th from Crete to Hamburg! It is the the last direct flight out of Crete till March or so and the queues stretched way out onto the pavement outside and having two dogs with us didn't help!

Quite nice here, to be honest! No rain😂, sunny and the dogs are loving the fallen leaves on the paths everywhere! 

Sorting out the internet stuff, slowly getting to grips with Anmeldung of this here and there. Dogs welcome on buses!❤️❤️👍👍👍

People here in Harburg ARE friendly and chatty! I had forgotten that! No dead dogs lying on pavements! Plus plus! Dix points!

Good to be back! 

Moaning can start later! We're in the honeymoon phase back here!😃

So one flat is now fully functioning and the neighbour is ... Greek!😂

And the other place, which will be the office and also habitable 😂, is almost there... carpenter sorting out the floor in an Altbau place and Telekom have to come and stuff like that... give it two-three weeks. The office is on the third floor and walking up there yesterday, we got to the second floor and a woman chatting on her SmartPhone whilst opening her door was chatting in Greek! 
We got chatting! Yep, she and her boyfriend are  Greek! And very friendly!

And this morning, had a Skype chat with a young lady who called me! I listened and said : " oh, you have a French accent!"

She: " Really? I'm Greek!😂".

I thought our plane tickets last week were from Greece and not TO Greece!😀

I am happy to keep the Greek connection going! 

Phoned my mate Pete in our Cretan village today. " Sunbathing, John, in the garden. Nice and warm , at least 23C today."

Aaaaggghhh🙁