The "why it is difficult to leave" thread

312 posts in this topic

Nice post. Keep 'em coming. Wish you luck with the Greek residence permit. Will it  not have repercussions on your residence in Germany? Cannot see them giving you a German permit if you already have a Greek one... or maybe they do not need to know?

My residence permit was issued days before my nationality came through... I have it from Someone On The Inside that They (French administration) have "filled their quotas" and have stopped issuing French nationality to Brits. I must be one of the Last of the Mohicans on French soil. I doubt they will be broadcasting that one. Or admitting to it officially. Guess they are allowed to let in and keep out who they like. But it certainly tallies with my own personal experience of trying to secure full EU pre-Brexit rights. WA residence is poor half-baked seconds.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

My residence permit was issued days before my nationality came through... I have it from Someone On The Inside that They (French administration) have "filled their quotas" and have stopped issuing French nationality to Brits. I must be one of the Last of the Mohicans on French soil. I doubt they will be broadcasting that one. Or admitting to it officially. Guess they are allowed to let in and keep out who they like. But it certainly tallies with my own personal experience of trying to secure full EU pre-Brexit rights. WA residence is poor half-baked seconds.

Is it just that they've stopped allowing dual French/UK nationality, which was to be expected after Brexshit? Recognition of dual nationalty is a right for EU nembers, as long as it is reciprocal for both countries.

Congratulations on your new status!

On 17/04/2021, 21:09:38, john g. said:

A tale!

Step by step...our house is still up for sale...and we have been renting a house in the next village on the coast with magnificent views for years for family visits...we have spent a fortune to make sure family have the best...including this fridge...we have spoken to the owners and let them know in advance we will leave asap. 

They are looking for Nachmieter...one guy phoned last night. He is a wealthy taverna owner in that village and we know him a bit. He belongs to one of the four families with money.

Moi: " we have spent a fortune and some stuff is brand new..can you make an offer in recognition of that? Beds, cupboards (made by a carpenter ), washing machine, sofa..the works..."

He answered: : the fridge needs HOURS of cleaning.."

( Lie: he has no key and has never been in the house...)

Further examples followed.

Today...Nicole facebooked a French friend whose boyfriend is a Dutch rastafarian in that village  and a cool guy and they have a mini-Pension for holiday makers... turned out the Dutch guy's 20-year-old son, Martin, has come to Crete and has just rented a small flat without furniture..,, (and , anyway, when you take over a place here, it is almost always in a disgraceful state, dirty, without furniture and God knows how many cucarachas...)

So Dad Alex and French partner Cecile arrived at the house and we showed them around.

" Alex, where's your son?"

Alex: " should he come?"

Son turned up 20 minutes later and we asked him what he needed ..he had a list.." two  beds, cupboards, settee, washing machine, lamps, fridge.."

" Ok, babe, the list is yours. You can have it all FREE...everything. All of the list is covered here...”

Martin: :"  don't you need anything?"

We/us: " you are 20...you need everything."

" Here is the key...get some strong friends and empty the place."

The look on his face was wonderful. TWO complete strangers just gave him his wish list...( karma ..Nicole and I have our stories...). :

Good luck young guy and fuck that lying, greedy son of a bitch who would likely have paid nothing and then flogged off some stuff to make himself even richer instead of spreading some good will.

By the way, the Fridge was the name of my favourite nightclub in Brixton (South London ) back in the 80s!!!:lol: Good dope for a fiver soon after going through the door!

Monty Python did The Larch way back then...we do The Fridge!!!

:P

IMG_6359 (002).jpg

Wow! We went to the house today to take final pictures and to leave the key. That young boy and his mates did a good job. Absolutely empty - they even took the knives and forks, the rubbish bin, the barbecue equipment, the remaining packet of Earl Grey, the stupid clock on the wall etc!

Permitted idealism for a young guy versus greed of the older cynical business people!

We are delighted!❤️👍❤️👍😂😂😂

PS: they even swept up nicely before taking the broom with them!!👍

On 4/20/2021, 8:47:53, john g. said:

So the cop shop in Agios it was today!

A bit off topic maybe. Is Agios for Agiostratis ?

I played for several years a combat simulation named Arma 3 and the "playing fields" were basically an accurate reproduction of two islands: Agiostratis and Lemno.

Greets!👍

Have just got back to Crete from Hamburg where I/ we spent two weeks trying to organise our return !

There was a slight problem❤️😂

At our friend's place in Hamburg one day after arriving-  I had a phone call from the Hamburg Gesundheitsamt! " Mr Gunn, you have just arrived in Germany. Please send us a copy of your corona test and your travel protocol thingy."

( Loose translation!)

" I sent that stuff before my departure from Greece. Ok, will resend."

" Mr Gunn, remember 10 days in quarantine."

Bloody hell😩

Welcome 1984...

So ten days fiddling my thumbs and then two doc appointments. Massive toothache and blocked ears.

Then in the last two or three days, full Corona test and contact with the Ausländeramt by email. Yesterday, they wrote to come for my Aufenthaltstitel interview on 30th June! Close to the edge, down by the river...

So , have booked yet another flight to finalise it.

Cats were happy when I got back! ❤️

Nicole is staying on there with some stuff to sort out. 

Beach tomorrow!👍👍👍❤️❤️

Surely you knew about the quarantine in advance. What was the surprise?

Anyway, glad you are home safely with your kitties.

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Surely you knew about the quarantine in advance. What was the surprise?

Anyway, glad you are home safely with your kitties.

Just thought the same! But maybe John was feeling like Winston - Big Brother calling!

It is all go for you John!

No, we obviously misread the latest instructions😒.

Our mistake.

The Greeks let me back in without quarantine as I have a current full PCR test from Thursday in Hamburg.

Did notice the stress on the way into Germany as the pilot asked passengers to have their ID, corona test and that code thingy ready to show the police. There were about ten of them and one asked me about my Aufenthaltstitel😂.

" ich arbeite daran. Might take longer than Hamburg getting back into the Bundesliga, though."

He laughed and let me pass.

About 10 Greek cops this side as well. Managed to locate my Passenger Locator Form thingy somehow.. phew..brand new world. Wasn't easy. Had to fill in my Greek address yesterday to write to the Greek authorities. But our street has no name! It does now! An imaginary one! 

And I hate getting up at 5 to catch a flight..😒

Upside of quarantine in Hamburg! Curry delivery service!😂

59 minutes ago, john g. said:

Yesterday, they wrote to come for my Aufenthaltstitel interview on 30th June!

Thats leaving it to the very last minute...

Just now, john g. said:

I know! Slow, aren't they?😂

And then you have to go again in person to collect it 4 - 6 weeks later (at least in SH).

38 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Just thought the same! But maybe John was feeling like Winston - Big Brother calling!

It is all go for you John!

Thank you, dear Red❤️

Big Brother, jeez..

Bloke at the check in counter next to me at Hamburg Airport early this morning ( 6 am ). He was told he can't fly because something or other was older than ten days ago.

And then my " case worker " told me my suitcase hadn't been paid for! So 40 euros! Jeez, they messed around with the flight four times in the past month so no wonder we got confused.

Suitcase was nearly empty apart from 500 grams of Manchego cheese from Rewe and 6 small pots of Leberwurst! Worth it! Have been deprived for years!👍

And the woman next to me on the flight today with her 80 year old husband with dementia was turned away at the airport for their flight yesterday  because they couldn't find their code thingy and had to reschedule for this morning. 

He kept standing up to try to open to the overhead luggage thingy. " Schatzi, das darfst Du nicht."

And she asked the flight attendant to ask her husband to put on his mask " because he won't listen to me."

And it was a great tip by my Nicole to attach a blue and white ribbon to my suitcase because I can't tell one suitcase from another! Mine is ALWAYS the last to turn up anyway!😂

Well, I am ageing, dear!❤️

The eyes, the ears, the teeth, parts of my limbo... I am now in the Alter Sack phase!😂

Mind you, not having a tin opener with me on the Altiplano in Bolivia with an unopenable tin of tuna fish was always a part of my pessoa! Be gentle on me, please! I'm a sensitive Cancerian!!

Priorities when I returned home to Crete from Hamburg at the weekend...dog is somewhere!:lol:

IMG_6529 (002).jpg

Wow!! Lying on the sofa in the office  opposite our house three yards away this morning and with the patio door open.. hot here... had just spoken by WhatsApp to Nicole ( currently in Hamburg )  in German.. and I heard a female voice.. " hallo."

I went out , dressed or non-dressed with only shorts on.. and a couple were there.. " Sind Sie der John von Nicole? Und Sie sprechen Deutsch?"

( I got rid of the Siezen nonsense quickly- they were young! 60-ish😂)

They are from Hamburg.

Some bla bla and " was wollt Ihr?" 

" We want to buy a house in Kavousi.( our village.) Do you know if there is anything around here? We have been coming to Crete regularly for over 10 years."

" Give me 10 minutes. Just across the pathway". Found a T- shirt after, first dancing and singing " I'm too sexy for my life." etc.

Bla bla. Showed them around and questions. They saw four cats. "Das ist Molly und das ist Robin ."

" We would take them all."

They are very tierlieb and even know about Takis! Have a rescue dog from Crete etc.

Nur geil.

So they are coming back to the village to celebrate their Silver Wedding late September and we are invited and the reggae singer they have engaged is a friend of ours and their children, early 20s, want to see the house.

This looks good. They are lovely people. The husband is a Bauingenieur and is responsible for some new stupid Strasse in Hamburg and , apparently , the Staus.. " Du verursachst die ganzen Scheissstaus?"

" Ja."

A benefit of being older: with luck, you can see the funny side of life."

After the hugs later, I said: " even if you don't buy the house, I would love us to be friends."

Just happy to meet lovely people. Even if it doesn't work out.❤️

Progress! Back in Crete, enjoying gorgeous weather - but I sorted out my permanent residence stuff in Hamburg the other week and have secured an apartment in Harburg from 1st October. Dog friendly❤️. Next step: back to Hamburg ( checking flights ) this month for maybe a week to sort more stuff out and then back to Crete for a while- Autumn is cute here👍.

This will all take a while but we're getting there!