Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

bringing homemade oil from india

57 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Just wondering but where did the op say he wanted to ship coconut oil?

From whay I've read he only mentioned cooking oil.

Perhaps @puregerman would tell us what this oil actually is?

At a guess I would say it's most probably Mustard oil which is used extensively for cooking and as a massage oil.

Good catch to not derail the discussion anymore. I haven't mentioned the name(s) of cooking oils because I wanted information/suggestions regarding the ways to bring in oil for personal consumption and not solicit any recommendations for where one can buy an equivalent oil here in the EU region.

while I cannot mention a list of oils that I'd like to bring, I can say that it will be completely plant-based cold-pressed organic cooking oils that are locally made with some herbal spices & custom ingredients.

5 hours ago, Metall said:

Except that the OP might be a vegetarian. Just saying.

We're indeed vegetarians. But, not the kind of vegetarians who eat fish & its derived products and still call themselves as vegetarians.

However, we consume milk and milk-based products such as Joghurt, Butter, Ghee, etc.

16 hours ago, catjones said:

Unless this oil is from the sweat of lndian ladybugs, isn't there anything comparable in the entire EU?  Christ. 

Sorry, I think you misunderstood the whole point of this thread. We're trying to figure out ways of bringing in oil for personal use and not to find something equivalent which is available locally.

30 minutes ago, puregerman said:

We're indeed vegetarians. But, not the kind of vegetarians who eat fish & its derived products and still call themselves as vegetarians.

OMV (Oh My Veggies), hate that too. I'm a second-hand vegetarian myself since cows eat grass and I eat cows.

1 hour ago, puregerman said:

while I cannot mention a list of oils that I'd like to bring, I can say that it will be completely plant-based cold-pressed organic cooking oils that are locally made with some herbal spices & custom ingredients.

All this cryptic talk... It's CBD isn't it? 

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

OMV (Oh My Veggies), hate that too. I'm a second-hand vegetarian myself since cows eat grass and I eat cows.

Grass eats decomposed dead animals. So even plants are not vegetarians!

13 hours ago, puregerman said:

...oils that are locally made with some herbal spices & custom ingredients.

Ah, custom ingredients. Now there is real potential for the customs to have a ball with that... :ph34r:

On 23/11/2019, 22:42:22, puregerman said:

However, I'm still not completely satisfied with why one should have to pay (VAT) tax for the food products one need for personal consumption.

Roughly speaking, stuff that comes into a country that is carried by a private individual is often allowed as "personal use" but things sent postally or by couriers normally have to pay an import or other tax.  Thats just the way things are.  Same when I bought a tshirt from the us, I paid like 15 dollars for the shirt and the same again for taxes.

On 23/11/2019, 23:05:07, puregerman said:

Isn't this for importing to India? Does this also apply to export goods (foods)?

The point is that couriers have special rules for liquids.  They can leak, freeze and break their containers, all kinds of things that you dont normally worry about for standard postal items.

On 24/11/2019, 01:13:04, puregerman said:

We still hope there's a completely legal way of bringing in foods for personal consumption, even if we pay the taxes. I think the quantity is the concern here.

There are all kinds of rules for importing into the EU.  It is for sure possible, but even for personal use you have to follow the rules and that pretty much means its a cost question.

14 hours ago, puregerman said:

locally made with some herbal spices & custom ingredients.

Yeah, as optimista says, this rings alarm bells for me.  Im pretty sure you are going to need a full list of these additives and some kind of legal declaration that they are allowed.

On 23/11/2019, 23:05:07, puregerman said:

The cost factor isn't the most important thing for us. It's the quality that is important and also whether you know what you're eating.

This is true, I agree 100%, however Germany has some of the strictest quality laws in the world, and ironically this is why you will have problems.  Most of the hoops you have to jump through are at least in theory to ensure that you are not importing a low quality product.

At the end of the day its pretty simple.  Send a mate down to the local DHL office in india and ask if they will ship 10L of oil and if so how much it costs and whether they know of any special rules.  

The only other people who might know are the producers who maybe send overseas.

I think you're going to have a customs issue with importing oil with unknown ingredients. - there will be no label detailing contents, etc to comply with EU import regs.

I think OP should be asking in India about this, someone must have tried doing this before and presumably Indian postal and courier services can also help.  Or an european Indian expat community website as no one here seems to have any experience.   

I have to admit I'd be amazed if that goes through. Last year  I I tried (unsuccessfully) as a private person to send a bottle of Pimms from the UK to Germany and every company I asked basically said "No liquids", never mind any other issues. I realize *companies* ship liquids all the time, but there seems to be no mechanism for private individuals.

12 minutes ago, Marianne013 said:

I have to admit I'd be amazed if that goes through. Last year  I I tried (unsuccessfully) as a private person to send a bottle of Pimms from the UK to Germany and every company I asked basically said "No liquids", never mind any other issues. I realize *companies* ship liquids all the time, but there seems to be no mechanism for private individuals.

I have sent German wine to the UK.  But you can get Pimms here and it is cheaper than in the UK without even adding the extra postal charges.

17 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

I have sent German wine to the UK.  But you can get Pimms here and it is cheaper than in the UK without even adding the extra postal charges.

That wasn't the point. I know you can get Pimms in Germany, but it was meant as a present and was meant to be wrapped in wrapping paper etc.  I'm also aware these regulations change (they seem to have relented a bit), but when I tried none of the usual suspects would ship the stuff. But e.g. Royal Mail still  doesn't ship perfume internationally. The OPs best bet is to through an extra bottle into his suitcase the next time (s)he goes for a home visit.

14 minutes ago, Marianne013 said:

That wasn't the point. I know you can get Pimms in Germany, but it was meant as a present and was meant to be wrapped in wrapping paper etc.  But amazon normally do the gift wrap and card?

Sorry did not realise that it was being shipped to (a child?) someone who would get upset with out the pretty paper.  But amazon have a gift wrap service.

3 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Sorry did not realise that it was being shipped to (a child?) someone who would get upset with out the pretty paper.  But amazon have a gift wrap service.

Double sigh. Only because you haven't got friends who try and send you nice things with a personal touch, doesn't mean everyone doesn't either. Not that I mind a generic Amazon wrapping and card, but I assure you (as you clearly don't know), it's just not the same.

13 hours ago, Marianne013 said:

Not that I mind a generic Amazon wrapping and card, but I assure you, it's just not the same.

Just as an idea, if you ever want to ship a nice bottle again: Try a German upscale liquor shop and ask them if they offer a gift-wrap and shipping service. I have only ever done it from Germany in Germany (mostly vineyards, but also a shop), but all business was done by phone. I sent the card to the shop and they wrapped up the bottle and the card with nice wrapping paper and sent it.

On 11/23/2019, 11:21:31, jeremytwo said:

puregerman - this entire thing sounds horribly complex. Bear in mind this is Germany. Arguably worse than India. Back in India you can pay some "baksheesh" and "jigger" everything along a bit. I reckon this country is worse than the developing world for getting anything done.

Best to buy 20 packs of butter in Aldi and do it at home. Bugger the Germans.

Bugger the Germans! Why don't you fuck off back home then. Aaaah families money.