bringing homemade oil from india

57 posts in this topic

Unless this oil is from the sweat of lndian ladybugs, isn't there anything comparable in the entire EU?  Christ.  How do I bring in a container full of charcoal from Brazil?

On 23.11.2019, 03:01:59, puregerman said:

The reason I'm asking is that we make these cooking oils in huge volumes in our locality and it's very authentic, healthy, and most importantly not super expensive.

6 hours ago, puregerman said:

I think the quantity is the concern here.

8 hours ago, puregerman said:

The cost factor isn't the most important thing for us. It's the quality

Virgin organic unprocessed coconut oil is readily available in Europe.   Costs a bit though compared to cheap refined oils but it is a big thing here too.

Edit. By the way, you probably know this, but if you are disposing sort of waste cooking oil, it should go in Restmüll and never down the drain.

12 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Virgin organic unprocessed coconut oil is readily available in Europe.   Costs a bit though compared to cheap refined oils but it is a big thing here too.

Just wondering but where did the op say he wanted to ship coconut oil?

From whay I've read he only mentioned cooking oil.

Perhaps @puregerman would tell us what this oil actually is?

At a guess I would say it's most probably Mustard oil which is used extensively for cooking and as a massage oil.

52 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

At a guess I would say it's most probably Mustard oil which is used extensively for cooking and as a massage oil.

Mustard oil banned in Europe for consumption.   Commercial imports are labelled "not for consumption" though of course people who like mustard oil sensibly just ignore this.  But would customs regard 10 kg as massage oil for personal use a bit far fetched?   

Why is mustard oil banned? I have to agree with MikeMelga and the Romans when it comes to olive oil - the fruity Portuguese stuff only however. Perhaps just not the way he expressed it (yeah, pun). Lately the market in France has been flooded with really unpleasant, bitter oil from Tunisia - it seems to get mixed into indigenous oils and I whole-heartedly sympathise with the OP wanting to stick with the devil (s)he knows. There's a lot of rubbish out there. Fact.

My olive oil woes have led me to discover grape seed oil which has a completely neutral taste.

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Mustard oil banned in Europe for consumption.   Commercial imports are labelled "not for consumption" though of course people who like mustard oil sensibly just ignore this.  But would customs regard 10 kg as massage oil for personal use a bit far fetched?   

Quite right, it's been banned for years hence my guess as to it being Mustard Oil but we'll have to wait and see if the op will reply.

There are some edible mustard oils on the market, I have a Bio one from Ölmühle Solling and what I use a lot of is Avocado oil also from them.

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Bullshit, but ok.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/well/eat/is-it-better-to-cook-with-coconut-oil-or-olive-oil.html

Maybe it is time to move to something better.

It's not bullshit, it depends on what the op is using the oil for and my guess from what's been said so far is for cooking.

Olive oil has a very low smoke point in comparison to coconut oil, ghee and mustard oil so it's not suitable for this method of cooking.

Once Olive high oil reaches it's smoking point which can be as low as 105°c any health benefits will start to breakdown with the heat.

There's no disputing Olive oils health benefits but it's just not suitable for cooking and frying with, there are far better options like Peanut oil, Grapeseed and Avocado or Mustard Oil if you can stand it's pungent aroma and flavour.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

My olive oil woes have led me to discover grape seed oil which has a completely neutral taste.

For a while in the 90s, we used exclusively grapeseed oil. I think a doctor's rec to my dad, for heart health, etc. It's got a decent smoke point. 

Believe it or not, but good old fashioned lard is supposed to be actually good for frying, etc. Of course it has a smell and is an animal product... 

One thing to avoid is cottonseed oil, at least for men. It has known sperm-retarding properties and derivatives are the basis for many beta versions of the "Male Pill". In fact, a few daily tablespoons of cottonseed oil is probably enough to cause (probably, temporary...) male sterility. It's not 100% reliable of course, and there's some studies which show permanent irreversible sperm-production damage...

13 hours ago, puregerman said:

As a matter of fact, I just want to point out that coconut oil is “the best oil” that one can use for cooking. It has been used in India for 1000s of years as the primary source of cooking oil.

Nonsense. Of course various Indians cultures, in the more tropical southern climate anyway, have been a resource that grows all around them for a long time. And since that's what they have available near at hand, they should keep using it. Good for them. 

But coconut is not "the best" oil flat out. Simply not true. It really depends what you're doing, different oils for different purposes. A lovely olive oil used to do a fried rice or something would be a waste. And here, coconut oil is obviously imported anyway. Mostly from Sri Lanka or the Philippines from labels I check (and I always check labels for country of origin). Although coconut plantations/harvesting is less damaging than oil palm, it's all a matter of scale. Here in Europe, it's better to buy local oils, and canola/rape, sunflower, safflower, and oil et all are all wonderful options that in many cases will be better than coconut. In arctic Greenland or Canada, whale blubber will be the best you can get (and pretty healthy, too). In Mediterranean regions, olive oil makes sense. And so on. 

Personally, I use sunflower oil the most. It's local, grows easy and abundant, good for bees, good all-rounder and healthy. Rapeseed has a slight odour I really don't like.

11 hours ago, puregerman said:

Whatever shit people say and write, I don't care. There're always people who come up with stupid stuffs like this for 1000s of ulterior motives. I'm not here to correct or convince anyone to use coconut oil for cooking. We know & experienced the benefits of it for as long as we can remember and we will use it no matter whatever BS reasons people come up with. I mentioned this thing because OP brought this up.

Personally, I think such articles “claiming” this is better than that and that is worse than this, yada yada have political motives. They want everyone to use the said “better oil” because that's grown in the western world maybe and the other one doesn't. Whatever the reason maybe, I really don't want to go into these sort of things because I know it's a waste of time and as I pointed out earlier my goal is not to convince anyone. 

you can move on to whatever is “better” for you. That's your concern :) 

What a coincidence that you're not interested in hearing what's better this or that, and it's all political motives, and you're not convinced one thing is better than the other, yadda yadda yadda -- Unless it comes from, oh I dunno, some sort of nationalistic JAI HIND! Indian media, right?

14 hours ago, puregerman said:

As a matter of fact, I just want to point out that coconut oil is “the best oil” that one can use for cooking. It has been used in India for 1000s of years as the primary source of cooking oil.

I just made myself a paleo breakfast with bacon and egg cooked in coconut oil. Two rashers I got, one rasher cut into tiny pieces for my baby dog! Coconut oil is cool.

I think you've a point here. It'd be interesting to know some real world experiences and tips from someone who has done this or an expert in this regard.

I doubt you're going to find anyone so foolish who has already done this due to the costs and the paperwork. 

Zwiebelfisch already gave you on info on how to determine shipping costs. Have you got a quote yet?

We still hope there's a completely legal way of bringing in foods for personal consumption, even if we pay the taxes. I think the quantity is the concern here.

No, the quantity is the not problem. Importing food into the EU is very bureaucratic and the process is not cheap. You need to pay VAT and duty.

https://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/Zoelle/ATLAS/Zolltarif/EZT-Auskunftsanwendung/ezt-auskunftsanwendung_node.html

We're trying to figure out a way of bringing in the oil. I think in the modern world we've to fight so much for oil.

I think you're probably one of the few people in the world who thinks of oil for cooking when talking about fighting for oil. :wacko:

Please update your thread after you make the necessary inquiries. 

Lard is good for some things too.  Rendered some pork fat this week rather than throwing away as seemed such a waste.  It was from a fatty cured pork cut I had used as the base for a split pea soup.

16 hours ago, puregerman said:

However, I'm still not completely satisfied with why one should have to pay (VAT) tax for the food products one need for personal consumption.

Well sorry, but that's the law!  You don't need to like it, but you must accept it.

If you personally bring any goods (e.g. in your luggage) in when you enter Germany then you have a personal allowance.  But once you go over that, or if you ship goods then it is subject to tax & excise.  Otherwise everybody would ship things from other countries because they are cheaper and just claim "it is only for my own personal use/consumption".  And despite "free trade agreements", actually there is very little trade between countries that is totally free, fair, and open.

16 hours ago, puregerman said:

Is the VAT calculated based on the Indian MRP - maximum retail price?

The VAT is calculated based on the declared value of the goods + shipping costs (not always applied).  When shipping internationally, the shipper has to declare the value + postage costs of the goods in special forms shipped with the product. 

Customs will then look at this and compare the stated amount with what they would expect.  If it is within accepted ranges then they use the declared value, otherwise they reserve the right to use the average retail value.  This is to stop cases where the value is falsely declared, as this is a way to try to avoid customs & excise duty (and they know all the tricks!).  

2 hours ago, Metall said:

except that the OP might be a vegetarian. Just saying.

Sure.  This was more about the general talk of cooking oils and fats that this thread has produced.  I realised how wasteful throwing away fat from meat was. I have always made stock from bones of chickens, etc but had not thought of rendering fat although one of my first jobs was in a Shell canteen spreading dripping on bread for the breakfasts.  Do not eat much meat, so amounts are not overwhelming.

6 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

It's not bullshit, it depends on what the op is using the oil for and my guess from what's been said so far is for cooking.

Olive oil has a very low smoke point in comparison to coconut oil, ghee and mustard oil so it's not suitable for this method of cooking.

Once Olive high oil reaches it's smoking point which can be as low as 105°c any health benefits will start to breakdown with the heat.

105ªC??? Can you quote that??? I've seen smoke point temperatures for Olive Oil as high as 207ºC!! Definitely good enough a few degrees above 180ºC!

6 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

There's no disputing Olive oils health benefits but it's just not suitable for cooking and frying with, there are far better options like Peanut oil, Grapeseed and Avocado or Mustard Oil if you can stand it's pungent aroma and flavour.

Not saying Olive oil is the best for everything, but at least I don't claim to be, like the OP. For example we use sunflower oil for some cakes.

29 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Not saying Olive oil is the best for everything, but at least I don't claim to be, like the OP. For example we use sunflower oil for some cakes.

It is the best for a Tuscan olive oil cake with orange juice and orange zest. Very light and moreish.

For a carrot cake style cake then absolutely a neutral oil.