Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

bringing homemade oil from india

57 posts in this topic

hallo everyone,

  does anyone have any experience in bringing homemade oils from India to Germany, ideally via parcel services? The reason I'm asking is that we make these cooking oils in huge volumes in our locality and it's very authentic, healthy, and most importantly not super expensive.

 

So, I'd like to gather some opinions from you guys for bringing some quantity of oil, say 10 litres, using some trustable parcel services. Please note that I'm interested in only using this oil for my own household cooking purposes and nothing else.

 

So, please share your experiences, tips for (cheap) parcel services, packaging, etc.

 

P.S I have looked into transfering residence to germany - zoll and it seems there are no issues in bringing food items for household purposes

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hallo?   well howdy doo!  " interested in only using this oil for my own household cooking purposes and nothing else"

 

inquiring minds want to know what else can, say 10 litres of homemade oils from India be used for?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

hallo?   well howdy doo!  " interested in only using this oil for my own household cooking purposes and nothing else"

 

inquiring minds want to know what else can, say 10 litres of homemade oils from India be used for?

 

Since it's oil and not perishable, it can be basically used for 5-6 months, or even up to an year. So, for two persons, we think this is not much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, puregerman said:

..

P.S I have looked into transfering residence to germany - zoll and it seems there are no issues in bringing food items for household purposes

 

This link is for when you first move to Germany.  As your location is listed as Saarbruecken then I assume that you are already here and you will order.  Therefore the regulations on shipping goods would apply instead.

 

There are restrictions on importing food from a Non-EU country.  And as this will be used for cooking then it probably falls under this category.  I assume that as you are Indian, then the oil does not contain any animal products, so then this is good and I don't see that there should be any restrictions applied in this case.

 

But the goods are still subject to tax & excise duty.  

 

I don't see any special excise on such products, so the normal VAT should be applied which is 19%.  However, there is a reduced VAT rate of 7% which applied to food products.  So if the company shipping the products can declare this as oil used for food purposes then you might be able to just pay the reduced VAT rate instead.

 

The amount is calculated based on the value, which can include postage costs.  

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I assume that as you are Indian, then the oil does not contain any animal products,

 

Unless it is ghee. There are restrictions on dairy products from outside the EU even if they are for personal use.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

 

Unless it is ghee. There are restrictions on dairy products from outside the EU even if they are for personal use.

 

 

I wasn't aware of that product.  But it seems that it is more butter than Oil right?  

But yes, as a dairy product then restrictions might apply.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Techsmex said:

inquiring minds want to know what else can, say 10 litres of homemade oils from India be used for?

 

Have you no imagination? No kink?

 

6 hours ago, puregerman said:

Since it's oil and not perishable, it can be basically used for 5-6 months, or even up to an year. So, for two persons, we think this is not much.

 

Oil is perishable, though. Just much slower than meat or dairy, etc.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But it seems that it is more butter than Oil right?  

 

When homemade fat content will probably vary, but commercial stuff is over 99 percent fat.  Like coconut oil, it solidifies at room temperature.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, puregerman said:

and most importantly not super expensive.

 

Lets start here, shipping to germany isnt necessarily cheap.  10 kilos will costs around ₹4500 so even just the postage assuming you dont have any legal issues, taxes etc will be around 5 or so euro per kilo.  Whilst 5 euro per kilo isnt much for cooking oil, I really doubt that this will end up being an inexpensive was to get oil. 

 

Also, though I have never shipped oil myself, I have been reading up on it to answer this thread, and it seems a lot of courier companies are (rightly) concerned about leakage etc, and oils often have special requirements.  For example see here: https://www.dhl.co.in/en/country_profile/import_guidelines_express.html

Both oil products and liquids are listed as "Commodities where you should contact your local Customer Service advisor to clarify shipping requirements"

 

6 hours ago, puregerman said:

Please note that I'm interested in only using this oil for my own household cooking purposes and nothing else.

 

I have no problem believing that, but its entirely possible that the people at the border will see a drum or two of cooking oil and think its for a restaurant and therefor requires all kinds of documentation. Id expect to have some questions to answer and some delays.  There will almost certainly need to be good documentation of the contents, I doubt a sticker saying "cooking oil" will be enough.

 

 

All in all, I think this is going to end up difficult and expensive.
 

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, alderhill said:

Have you no imagination? No kink?

my kinkmagination is good.  I was just hoping for some new thang.. ‘twas disappointed   😢 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I m interested  to know What oil you are referring? Recent days variety of Indian oils are available in many indian stores.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

 

This link is for when you first move to Germany.  As your location is listed as Saarbruecken then I assume that you are already here and you will order.  Therefore the regulations on shipping goods would apply instead.

 

There are restrictions on importing food from a Non-EU country.  And as this will be used for cooking then it probably falls under this category.  I assume that as you are Indian, then the oil does not contain any animal products, so then this is good and I don't see that there should be any restrictions applied in this case.

 

But the goods are still subject to tax & excise duty.  

 

I don't see any special excise on such products, so the normal VAT should be applied which is 19%.  However, there is a reduced VAT rate of 7% which applied to food products.  So if the company shipping the products can declare this as oil used for food purposes then you might be able to just pay the reduced VAT rate instead.

 

The amount is calculated based on the value, which can include postage costs.  

14 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

 

This link is for when you first move to Germany.  As your location is listed as Saarbruecken then I assume that you are already here and you will order.  Therefore the regulations on shipping goods would apply instead.

 

There are restrictions on importing food from a Non-EU country.  And as this will be used for cooking then it probably falls under this category.  I assume that as you are Indian, then the oil does not contain any animal products, so then this is good and I don't see that there should be any restrictions applied in this case.

 

You got that 💯% right. It doesn't have any animal products whatsoever. Actually, the primary reason we’re interested in bringing (cooking) oil from our region is that we know how it's made and how good it is in terms of nutritional contents.

 

 

Quote

But the goods are still subject to tax & excise duty.  

 

I don't see any special excise on such products, so the normal VAT should be applied which is 19%.  However, there is a reduced VAT rate of 7% which applied to food products.  So if the company shipping the products can declare this as oil used for food purposes then you might be able to just pay the reduced VAT rate instead.

 

Danke, this is a useful information to know. 

 

However, I'm still not completely satisfied with why one should have to pay (VAT) tax for the food products one need for personal consumption.

 

Quote

 

The amount is calculated based on the value, which can include postage costs.  

 

Is the VAT calculated based on the Indian MRP - maximum retail price?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, snowingagain said:

 

Unless it is ghee. There are restrictions on dairy products from outside the EU even if they are for personal use.

I think we can make the ghee ourselves from the milk that's locally available in Deutschland :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, snowingagain said:

 

 

When homemade fat content will probably vary, but commercial stuff is over 99 percent fat.  Like coconut oil, it solidifies at room temperature.

 

As a matter of fact, I just want to point out that coconut oil is “the best oil” that one can use for cooking. It has been used in India for 1000s of years as the primary source of cooking oil.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

 

Lets start here, shipping to germany isnt necessarily cheap.  10 kilos will costs around ₹4500 so even just the postage assuming you dont have any legal issues, taxes etc will be around 5 or so euro per kilo.  Whilst 5 euro per kilo isnt much for cooking oil, I really doubt that this will end up being an inexpensive was to get oil. 

 

I agree with you on the shipping costs. I think India post parcel service is a cheaper alternative and it allows to ship 20 kilos at a time, which would cost around 12,0000 Rs. if I am not wrong.

 

The cost factor isn't the most important thing for us. It's the quality that is important and also whether you know what you're eating. My experience so far hasn't been good, to say the least, with cooking oils that I find in Asian/Oriental stores here. So does the “refined oil” from German supermarkets.

 

Simply, I cannot tell what oil is a particular one if one removes the label on the bottles. The very thing that defines oil is missing: be able to tell the name of the oil by just smelling it. This is the single most reason we're interested in having our own region grown oil.

 

12 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Also, though I have never shipped oil myself, I have been reading up on it to answer this thread, and it seems a lot of courier companies are (rightly) concerned about leakage etc, and oils often have special requirements.  For example see here: https://www.dhl.co.in/en/country_profile/import_guidelines_express.html

Both oil products and liquids are listed as "Commodities where you should contact your local Customer Service advisor to clarify shipping requirements"

 

Isn't this for importing to India? Does this also apply to export goods (foods)?

 

12 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

 

I have no problem believing that, but its entirely possible that the people at the border will see a drum or two of cooking oil and think its for a restaurant and therefor requires all kinds of documentation. Id expect to have some questions to answer and some delays.  There will almost certainly need to be good documentation of the contents, I doubt a sticker saying "cooking oil" will be enough.

 

 

All in all, I think this is going to end up difficult and expensive.
 

 

I think you've a point here. It'd be interesting to know some real world experiences and tips from someone who has done this or an expert in this regard.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

puregerman - this entire thing sounds horribly complex. Bear in mind this is Germany. Arguably worse than India. Back in India you can pay some "baksheesh" and "jigger" everything along a bit. I reckon this country is worse than the developing world for getting anything done.

 

Best to buy 20 packs of butter in Aldi and do it at home. Bugger the Germans.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, puregerman said:

 

As a matter of fact, I just want to point out that coconut oil is “the best oil” that one can use for cooking.

Bullshit, but ok.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/well/eat/is-it-better-to-cook-with-coconut-oil-or-olive-oil.html

 

37 minutes ago, puregerman said:

It has been used in India for 1000s of years as the primary source of cooking oil.

Maybe it is time to move to something better.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, puregerman said:

However, I'm still not completely satisfied with why one should have to pay (VAT) tax for the food products one need for personal consumption.

Actually, that is the very definition of VAT!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

 

Whatever shit people say and write, I don't care. There're always people who come up with stupid stuffs like this for 1000s of ulterior motives. I'm not here to correct or convince anyone to use coconut oil for cooking. We know & experienced the benefits of it for as long as we can remember and we will use it no matter whatever BS reasons people come up with. I mentioned this thing because OP brought this up.

 

Personally, I think such articles “claiming” this is better than that and that is worse than this, yada yada have political motives. They want everyone to use the said “better oil” because that's grown in the western world maybe and the other one doesn't. Whatever the reason maybe, I really don't want to go into these sort of things because I know it's a waste of time and as I pointed out earlier my goal is not to convince anyone. 

 

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Maybe it is time to move to something better.

 

 

you can move on to whatever is “better” for you. That's your concern :) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

puregerman - this entire thing sounds horribly complex. Bear in mind this is Germany. Arguably worse than India. Back in India you can pay some "baksheesh" and "jigger" everything along a bit. I reckon this country is worse than the developing world for getting anything done.

 

We still hope there's a completely legal way of bringing in foods for personal consumption, even if we pay the taxes. I think the quantity is the concern here.

 

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

Best to buy 20 packs of butter in Aldi and do it at home. Bugger the Germans.

 

We're trying to figure out a way of bringing in the oil. I think in the modern world we've to fight so much for oil.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0