Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

owning an Acquarium in Germany

16 posts in this topic

Hi to all Fish lovers out there! I recently listed my Arowana - Chinese Fengshui fish for sale on Ebay, and to my worst nightmare, KVR guys came to my home stating Animal protection and with Animal protection Zoo authorities, took the Arowana fish away , stating that it is too small for my Tank. My current tank is 800l and that is only sufficient to 1 pair of Oscars according to the Authorities.  And the even worst bit, is that, I am supposed to pay the Animal shelter home a monthly payment of 100Euros for the fish expenses/maintenance until I build a Bigger tank or I sell to someone else, who is also supposed to own a bigger tank. This is ridiculous! Has anyone encountered such issues before? I am at loggerheads now, neither can I build a bigger tank for 3000l nor can I afford this 100Euro expense month on month, until I find a suitable buyer for my fish!! 

25 minutes ago, Ohrwurm said:

Has anyone encountered such issues before?

It seems to me like a pretty unique experience!

It's not ridiculous, it's the law, of which you had sadly not informed yourself. 800l is pretty small, assuming these fish are full grown. Will they want proof of the new fishtank before giving them back to you?...

Those same guys should go and check out the polar bear in th zoo, that really is pure cruelty.

1 hour ago, Ohrwurm said:

My current tank is 800l and that is only sufficient to 1 pair of Oscars according to the Authorities.  And the even worst bit, is that, I am supposed to pay the Animal shelter home a monthly payment of 100Euros for the fish expenses/maintenance until I build a Bigger tank or I sell to someone else, who is also supposed to own a bigger tank. This is ridiculous! Has anyone encountered such issues before? I am at loggerheads now, neither can I build a bigger tank for 3000l nor can I afford this 100Euro expense month on month, until I find a suitable buyer for my fish!! 

How many fish did you have in your 800L tank and how difficult are they to sell?

9 hours ago, Ohrwurm said:

KVR guys came to my home stating Animal protection and with Animal protection Zoo authorities, took the Arowana fish away , stating that it is too small for my Tank.

Just a thought...there are some very elaborate EBay scams, did you check the identity of these people?  Did you receive any documentation from them?

Nevertheless, your tank is too small.

Why did they come by? Is it illegal to sell Arowana? I dont think that you wrote in your Ebay offer that you are selling Arowanas and asking to keep them in a small tank. Nor did you give the size of the tank they are currently living in? So where would they know this from? Sounds fishy.

I see that they are an endangered species and banned in some countries. This might explain something.

However I am curious

How did they get your address?

Why did you let them in? Don't let anyone in, tell them to write.

Why didn't you call the police? 

1 hour ago, black1 said:

However I am curious

How did they get your address?

Why did you let them in? Don't let anyone in, tell them to write.

Why didn't you call the police? 

All their other faults aside, eBay is pretty serious about preventing trade in endangered species and products derived from them (no doubt due to fear of the bad publicity they would otherwise incur). It's entirely possible that someone saw the OP's auction/ad on eBay - could have been a concerned citizen or (more likely) a competitor - and reported it to eBay and/or the authorities. The authorities got the address from eBay - either proactively or via request - and KVR paid her a visit.

That scenario is much more likely than some random scammers obtaining her address and showing up at her door to confiscate the fish, and somehow getting the animal shelter involved in it. Given the specifics of the situation as described, I don't think it's logical or productive to question the authenticity of the authorities in this case.

I take it that the ad was on eBay Kleinanzeigen. I don't think eBay allows sale of animals?

The size of the tank may have been apparent from the photos posted.  Also, some advertisers post their full address.  Not advisable for any private ad.  Might have simply been the authorities posing as prospective buyers and arranged an appointment. Questions may also be asked as to whether this is a business activity or a genuine private sale.  

It would be interesting to know if the OP has already paid towards the 'Tierheim' costs and if she know exactly where the fish are being kept. 

Overall, it's a good thing that animal welfare is taken seriously.  Of the Tierheims I know, volunteers work tirelessly to investigate potential cruelty particularly by breeders. eBay Kleinanzeigen is scoured daily.  They can even recognize home interiors from photos posted when sellers use different user names.  

6 minutes ago, AdHa said:

If you can read German... looks like these fish are a PITA to own (apparently they need to be chipped and CITES certified).

https://www.einrichtungsbeispiele.de/zierfische/diverse-biotope/arowana-slnk.html#S8

Though they are readily available in Germany with these.  Tank size is mentioned as important.  They do not like small tanks and hurt themselves by jumping out.

9 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Though they are readily available in Germany with these.  Tank size is mentioned as important.  They do not like small tanks and hurt themselves by jumping out.

Regarding tanks and animal welfare....tortoises are often kept in Terrariums here in Germany...mostly far too small.  Seemingly this is absolutely unsuitable causing them severe stress and often injury.