Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cat behaviour: Update: Finny has gone missing. Update! He's BACK!

41 posts in this topic

hit by a car, injury or death through fights with wild animals, dogs, or horrible people, people who take in an animal they assume is a stray, and getting trapped somewhere are the reasons I've known of first or second hand.

I hope you find him happy and healthy.

Is there some kind of local FB page, or info page? Lots of people are presumably inside a lot these days, and more people might see it online than on posters. 

We found ours 25 years ago in Sunderland by going round the streets like your son. He was a house cat, and not 'done' and we heard him yowling inside a hole in someone's garden fence. I shoved my arm through, blindly grabbed a cat, pulled him through and voila, our extremely posh pedigree Burmese (wedding present) cat was back.

I hope you find yours alive and well. 

Definitely put up posters asking ppl to check their shed's and garages and talk to vets in your area to ask if someone brought him in.

Empty your Hoover contents around your backyard. The smells are v strong for them to make it home 

YAY! He's back! He just waltzed in, like SusieT says, as if he were never away! Had a good meal and pretends everything is normal! Son is filming him now as he eats, for his daughter in Salzburg -- they are both over the moon! Son is very attached and was almost in tears.

12 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

YAY! He's back! He just waltzed in, like SusieT says, as if he were never away! Had a good meal and pretends everything is normal! Son is filming him now as he eats for his daughter in Salzburg -- they are both over the moon! Son is very attached and was almost in tears.

I shouldn’t be reading anything now! Fraufruit scolded me a few minutes ago ( bless her soul😂) somewhere else but I am happy about this!

Yeah, we are tin openers and lose cats and get some more and . yeah , they are a pain in the neck sometimes and will they please stop bringing us rats as a thank you ( RATS .. not mice😷😟) and , yeah, one of ours. Adi, died painfully the other week ( poison laid by some arsehole ) and I understand how relieved you are, arunadasi.

Sleep tight now!

He is totally spoiled. My son orders really expensive cat food online for him. And he is so cute! When he comes home he comes first to my window and peers in, tries to catch my eye -- and then I have to go and open the door in son's room. We can't have a cat-flap because the door is glass, so he has to inform us when he comes home. 

Just the other day we were saying we should attach a camera to him just to see where he goes and what he does all night -- it's a mystery! But he definitely has the good life.

47 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

He is totally spoiled. My son orders really expensive cat food online for him. And he is so cute! When he comes home he comes first to my window and peers in, tries to catch my eye -- and then I have to go and open the door in son's room. We can't have a cat-flap because the door is glass, so he has to inform us when he comes home. 

Just the other day we were saying we should attach a camera to him just to see where he goes and what he does all night -- it's a mystery! But he definitely has the good life.

Great idea- have you seen the series, where they have cameras fitted to wildlife, as well as fake rocks and tortoises?

An insight to the Life of Pets!!

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I have a cat flap in my glass door.  I bought the flap, got a glazier to make me a new glass for the door with a hole in it.  He installed the glass.  I installed the cat flap.  He put the old pane of glass in my storage room for me in case I need it later.  It wasn't exactly cheap though.

If Finny is wearing a collar you can put a GPS chip on it and track him.  You can buy those on amazon.

27 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I have a cat flap in my glass door.  I bought the flap, got a glazier to make me a new glass for the door with a hole in it.  He installed the glass.  I installed the cat flap.  He put the old pane of glass in my storage room for me in case I need it later.  It wasn't exactly cheap though.

Nope, it's a rented flat. We aren't even supposed to keep pets here -- though I did ask about getting a kitten but the kitten was supposed to be rehomed later, which never happened!

However, one flat downstairs keeps two cats. She's not too strict but she won't want the door fiddled with and anyway I won't stay here forever.

27 minutes ago, LeonG said:

If Finny is wearing a collar you can put a GPS chip on it and track him.  You can buy those on amazon.

Now that's a great idea! I'll look into it. Thanks.

5 hours ago, bramble said:

He might have got locked up in someone's garage or garden shed by mistake. This happens to cats a lot. You could ask around in the neighbourhood. 

He could have got out of a stew! We don't know. That's the funny thing but he's back so it's all irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, McDee said:

He could have got out of a stew! We don't know. That's the funny thing but he's back so it's all irrelevant. 

Yes, but it's good to keep this in mind for next time. I've had this happen to two of my cats in the past. The first one came back after missing for three weeks, with a hoarse voice and skinny as hell. It was during the summer holidays. We assume he got locked in a a garage until the people came back from their holidays. The other came back after two days missing, covered with dust - the kind you would find in a shed or cellar. 

He’s lovely @arunadasi.  Similar to our neighbour’s cat that she rescued from an animal charity in Italy. He had been hit by a car and abandoned. Lucky for him, the charity paid for several operations. He stays with us all day, every day and goes home at nighttime.  Quite a character with his one seeing eye and only three teeth! We call him Bob.

1012ABAF-6762-4CD2-9102-548AEA43F73A.jpe

9 hours ago, arunadasi said:

This morning, after a night of galivanting:

cat.jpg

Aw. Cutie 

Yesterday he went missing again, and came back in the evening as happy as Larry.

My curiosity has got the better of me, I've ordered this GPS cat-tracking device. It seems to be a German company, but they deliver to Ireland as well. It's hard to find the English language site, though.

https://tractive.com/de/pd/gps-tracker-cat

This page is very interesting for an inexperienced cat-parent:   https://tractive.com/blog/de/gut-zu-wissen/wie-lange-katze-verschwunden

13 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Yesterday he went missing again, and came back in the evening as happy as Larry.

My curiosity has got the better of me, I've ordered this GPS cat-tracking device. It seems to be a German company, but they deliver to Ireland as well. It's hard to find the English language site, though.

https://tractive.com/de/pd/gps-tracker-cat

This page is very interesting for an inexperienced cat-parent:   https://tractive.com/blog/de/gut-zu-wissen/wie-lange-katze-verschwunden

Reminds me of this documentary...;)