Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

permission to skip school at airport

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was wondering has anyone had any experience with traveling with kids outside of school holidays ?  Has anyone ever been asked for the permission from the school at the berlin airport? thanks!

We did a few years ago. We actually had permission from the school, which is difficult - but not impossible - to get. In my experience, they try to be accommodating to international families (or at least our school did).

While we were waiting to check in at the airport, we were challenged by a passing police patrol and had to show them our signed permission slip from the school.

If you read German papers, they regularly feature stories of people being caught with school-age kids at the airport while school is in session, hoping to get cheaper airfares by leaving a day or two early, before vacation starts. The fines can be pretty hefty.

With such an irritating holiday system as that which we have here, I'm really surprised the police stop people - just because the local Bundesland is working hard is no guarantee that those over the county boundary are doing the same...

40 minutes ago, black1 said:

Show an international passport and say you are a tourist

The Bundespolizei have access to the Melderegister.

52 minutes ago, black1 said:

Show an international passport and say you are a tourist

And when the cops ask your kids where they live?

On 19.11.2019, 12:19:54, berliner2007 said:

I was wondering has anyone had any experience with traveling with kids outside of school holidays ?

Yes - but going back about 12 years or so (Schleswig-Holstein).  In the few days before Christmas we flew with our son Hamburg => Manchester to visit my mother and to attend a concert in Buxton.  We took our son, aged 17 (but not daughter as she didn't want to go to the concert - son did) and requested (by letter) that the school permit our son to come with us.  We received written confirmation that this was OK - from that it was clear that the school director had asked his class teacher if it was OK & that was initialled.

We were not asked for it but we were prepared.  We were back before the last day of school - son was requested to give a brief report of his visit (that he actually got to meet some of the band that played...)

We were refused.  So next time did not ask, just lied.  No airport stuff though, just trains in Europe and Eurostar to UK.  No German checks because of Schengen.

So US-wise, or anywhere not feasible to train or boat to,  suggest train or bus or whatever over nearest border, fly from there.

21 hours ago, murphaph said:

And when the cops ask your kids where they live?

Just keep saying "sorry what?" in English.

On 11/19/2019, 12:19:54, berliner2007 said:

Hello,

I was wondering has anyone had any experience with traveling with kids outside of school holidays ?  Has anyone ever been asked for the permission from the school at the berlin airport? thanks!

Not in Berlin, but in Munich we get asked at least once a year, because the international school has a different calendar.

2 hours ago, black1 said:

Just keep saying "sorry what?" in English.

They will ask the kids directly in German but really it's not a good idea to raise your kids to lie to the cops.

11 minutes ago, murphaph said:

They will ask the kids directly in German but really it's not a good idea to raise your kids to lie to the cops.

Well that kind of depends.   Everyone learns to lie to some extent.  And saying "sorry what?" is not lying.  But as I have said, this can all be avoided by travelling by train.  

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Well that kind of depends.   Everyone learns to lie to some extent.  And saying "sorry what?" is not lying.  But as I have said, this can all be avoided by travelling by train.  

Alas, direct train routes to the U.S. are few and far between for some reason (the OP is American).

2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Alas, direct train routes to the U.S. are few and far between for some reason (the OP is American).

On 20.11.2019, 18:25:15, snowingagain said:

We were refused.  So next time did not ask, just lied.  No airport stuff though, just trains in Europe and Eurostar to UK.  No German checks because of Schengen.

So US-wise, or anywhere not feasible to train or boat to,  suggest train or bus or whatever over nearest border, fly from there.