Smoking Cigarrettes in Berlin

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I wanna ask about the smoking laws in Berlin. Am I allowed to smoke cigarettes on the street in Berlin? Can you smoke cigs in restaurants, pubs, and clubs? Which hotels in Berlin city centre allows you to smoke or has a designated smoking area in the hotel?

Thank you!

I doubt there are any (halfway reputable) hotels in Berlin that allow smoking anywhere indoors.  Yes, you can smoke on the street, in beer gardens, at the bus stop, in parks and playgrounds (not recommending these or saying you should, just saying it's not illegal) in pubs and clubs depending on their own specific policies (but generally, yes).  You can't smoke at train stations, libraries, hospitals or McDonald's.  Generally speaking, if a pub or club does not serve food or is under a certain size, and only allows entry to people over 18, they have the option of allowing smoking, and many do.  A good indication you can spot just by looking: are there ashtrays on the table?  Then, you're in luck!  If there are no ashtrays, you should ask if/where they have a designated smoking area.

Waiting to get murdered for mentioning playgrounds and bus stops.  It's just information, not a recommendation, folks.

3 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

You can't smoke at train stations

not indoors of course, but there are usually smoking areas on the platforms.  Is this still the case in Berlin?  

hmm, sometimes on the S-bahn, but often enough you're just not supposed to smoke anywhere on them.  I haven't seen very many "designated" smoking areas in S-bahn stations, but I don't ride it often and have commuted exclusively by bicycle since (at least) 2012.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

not indoors of course, but there are usually smoking areas on the platforms.  Is this still the case in Berlin?  

If you've bought one of these on amazon, then yes:

Raucherteppich2.jpg.a68013408c2574e55997

59 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

hmm, sometimes on the S-bahn, but often enough you're just not supposed to smoke anywhere on them.  I haven't seen very many "designated" smoking areas in S-bahn stations, but I don't ride it often and have commuted exclusively by bicycle since (at least) 2012.

this is surprising to me - thanks for confirming.

anyway for what it's worth I found this:  https://archiv.berliner-zeitung.de/berlin/s-bahn-kapituliert-die-rueckkehr-der-raucher-28856954

4 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I doubt there are any (halfway reputable) hotels in Berlin that allow smoking anywhere indoors.  Yes, you can smoke on the street, in beer gardens, at the bus stop, in parks and playgrounds (not recommending these or saying you should, just saying it's not illegal) in pubs and clubs depending on their own specific policies (but generally, yes).  You can't smoke at train stations, libraries, hospitals or McDonald's.  Generally speaking, if a pub or club does not serve food or is under a certain size, and only allows entry to people over 18, they have the option of allowing smoking, and many do.  A good indication you can spot just by looking: are there ashtrays on the table?  Then, you're in luck!  If there are no ashtrays, you should ask if/where they have a designated smoking area.

Waiting to get murdered for mentioning playgrounds and bus stops.  It's just information, not a recommendation, folks.

Thank you so much! That was very helpful. S

So, if I stay in a hotel, I can just go out and smoke outside the building and it won't be a problem, right?

30 minutes ago, AnnaKarolina said:

So, if I stay in a hotel, I can just go out and smoke outside the building and it won't be a problem, right?

Some hotels still have rooms you can smoke in.  And special public rooms you can smoke in, inside.  If you google Raucher Hotel Berlin you will get hits such as

https://www.relexa-hotel-berlin.de/hotel/blog/ein-herz-fuer-raucher

Interesting!  For (maybe, somewhat) obvious reasons, I've not actually stayed myself in a hotel in Berlin.  I will still stubbornly hold on to my belief that a hotel with a place for people to smoke inside is still rather the exception than the rule, though.

6 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I’ve seen designated smoking areas on the tracks while taking the Regionalbahn and other long distance trains, but many people simply ignore them and smoke where they want.

There are also still some restaurants that have smoking rooms in the back of the restaurant, so that one doesn’t have to go outside.

5 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

.  A good indication you can spot just by looking: are there ashtrays on the table?  Then, you're in luck!  If there are no ashtrays, you should ask if/where they have a designated smoking area.

Or, just smell the place!

There are even restaurants with rooms you can smoke - for instance the Atlantic Fish Restaurant in Schöneberg (actually a really good fish restaurant, the smoking room is completely separate - I completely gave up in 1998!)

https://www.atlantik-fischrestaurant.de