President Donald J. Trump

1,649 posts in this topic

Everything old is new again!  Herb Block's cartoon is from December 29, 1972, when the GOP was doing what they continue to do best: invalidate the media. They were embroiled in defending Richard Nixon, then POTUS, who ended up resigning the Presidency in 1974 rather than face impeachment.

5dd427eb2d62f_EverythingoldisnewagainHer

23 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

No problem. Non-US citizens who support Trump should be roundly mocked.

Humo(u)r in political dialogue again.

12 minutes ago, katheliz said:

They were embroiled in defending Richard Nixon, then POTUS, who ended up resigning the Presidency in 1974 rather than face impeachment.

Regardless of where one stands on Mr Trump, his lack of shame for whatever reason is facinating.

I could see him chosing not to stand for a second term but not resigning. Rather using the remaining time of his presidency to launch his next initiative. The world is after all his stage.

14 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Regardless of where one stands on Mr Trump, his lack of shame for whatever reason is facinating.

I could see him chosing not to stand for a second term but not resigning. Rather using the remaining time of his presidency to launch his next initiative. The world is after all his stage.

Well, I agree that his psychological underpinnings are as fascinating as their result is disgusting, horrific, and aberrant to service of anyone (other than himself).

I don't maintain much hope that he will resign although there was a marked increase in the calcification of his heart since his first in office physical. This, in itself, presents many opportunities for analogy.

34 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

I am reading that Mr Trump is considering testifying in person at this impeachment proceeding

.https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/11/impeachment-inquiry-trump-considers-testifying-person-191119065307954.html

I am not sure if offering him the stage to  further self promote was the best idea for those in opposition to him. 

That's a perjury trap. Egomaniacs can't help but spin things to make themselves look good.  In evidence, I submit Bill Clinton.

11 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

That's a perjury trap. Egomaniacs can't help but spin things to make themselves look good.  In evidence, I submit Bill Clinton.

I can see that.

What does seem however to be in vogue with politicians today is they do not feel compelled to answer the question put to them. Another sort of shamelessness I suppose, a shamelessness that many voters seem amenable to tollerate. 

Mr Trump clesrly wants to make his mark* but I am not sure whether POTUS is the end or a/the means to the end. He is able to focus when he sees it his best interests and could suppress his ego by default as his eye is on a further goal.

* Stupid on so many levels wall idea.

26 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Counterpoint:

that_all_you_got.jpg.5279996ac93208b481b

I just saw this happen. They simply have nothing else.

Lt. Colonel Alexander Vindman is a decorated combat veteran whose career in the armed services spanned more than two decades. Republicans are now trying to paint Vindman as having dual loyalty to Ukraine, the country he emigrated to the United States from as a small child.

During Vindman’s testimony before the House Intelligence Committee on Tuesday, Republican Counsel Steve Castor asked Vindman about receiving an offer to serve as Ukraine’s defense minister. The implication was that Vindman may not have been working in the best interest of the United States while serving on the National Security Council. Vindman seemed amused, if not offended, by the counsel’s line of questioning.

“I’m an American,” Vindman said. “I came here when I was a toddler. I immediately dismissed these offers. I did not entertain them.” ...

Of course, Vindman immediately reported this to his superiors.

the rest

I saw this, too. Sad.

National Security Council official Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman brought his receipts to Tuesday’s impeachment hearings when Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) attempted to question Vindman’s judgment, reading aloud a recent employment evaluation describing him as “brilliant.”

Referencing the previous testimony of NSC official Tim Morrison, Jordan noted that Morrison claimed he and others raised concerns about Vindman’s judgment and believed he may have leaked info to the press.

“Your former boss, Dr. [Fiona] Hill, had concerns about your judgment,” Jordan added. “Your colleagues had concerns about your judgment and your colleagues felt that there were times when you leaked information. Any idea why they have those impressions, Colonel Vindman?”

Vindman, meanwhile, pulled out the last performance evaluation that Hill had given him, dated this past July.

“Alex is a top 1% military officer and the best Army officer I have worked with in my 15 years of government service,” Vindman read from the document. “‘He is brilliant, unflappable, and exercises excellent judgment’—I’m sorry—‘Was exemplary during numerous visits,’ so forth and so on. I think you get the idea.”

As for Morrison’s remarks, Vindman stated that they had only recently started working together and that Morrison hadn’t been there very long and it could have been a clash of cultures. 

Jordan, seemingly a bit shaken, quickly moved on to asking Vindman if he ever leaked information, something the veteran denied.

Note the difference in treatment toward Vindman who is toeing the line versus the character assassination of Tulsi Gabbard who did multiple tours in Iraq.  

🙄

39 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Counterpoint:

that_all_you_got.jpg.5279996ac93208b481b

Nobody likes or trusts Hillary and nobody thinks she looks good.  

Only the best liars....erm people.

Alumni of the Obama administration reacted with disbelief and outrage to a claim from White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham that incoming Trump administration officials found insulting notes left behind for them in their offices.

“We came into the White House, I’ll tell you something,” said Grisham during a local radio interview Tuesday morning, as reported by CNN’s Abby Phillip. “Every office was filled with Obama books, and we had notes left behind that said, ‘You will fail,’ ‘You aren’t going to make it.’” 

She didn’t elaborate on what she meant by “Obama books.”

In the nearly three years since the presidential transition, no Trump administration officials have mentioned the notes or produced any photos that would support Grisham’s charge. 

“This is another bald faced lie,” wrote Susan Rice, who served as national security adviser. 

In a statement to NBC News responding to Rice’s tweet, Grisham clarified her statement, stating that she didn’t mean to suggest that the notes were left in every White House office, only in a press area.

“I’m not sure where her office was, and I certainly wasn’t implying every office had that issue,” Grisham wrote, referring to Rice’s office. “In fact, I had a lovely note left for me in the East Wing, and I tracked the woman down and thanked her. I was talking specifically about our experience in the lower press office — nowhere else. I don’t know why everyone is so sensitive!”

Additional officials who worked across the Obama administration strongly disputed Grisham’s claim on Twitter.

“100% false,” wrote Liz Allen, who worked as a deputy communications director. “I left a note wishing them good luck serving the American people and offering to be a resource.”

“This is a lie,” wrote Ben Rhodes, a foreign policy adviser for Obama. “If this happened I also don’t think the entire Trump staff would wait 3 years to tell us. Sad to see the WH press secretary fall this far.” 

“I was there,” wrote Daniel Jacobson, who worked in the White House counsel’s office. “This is a complete and utter lie. Quite the opposite — we left them briefing books to try to help with the transition as much as possible.”

Since taking office, President Trump has frequently complained about the “mess” he inherited from his predecessor, but generally in reference to domestic and international policy, not the conditions of the offices in the White House.

report from the General Accounting Office in 2002 concluded that outgoing Clinton administration officials had caused damage amounting to $13,000 to $14,000 to White House offices before George W. Bush’s inauguration, including by removing the “W” keys from keyboards.

Grisham was named press secretary this summer, moving over from the office of the first lady after a history of misstatements. Grisham provided false information in 2018 about a controversial jacket worn by first lady Melania Trump and misstated the day of Trump’s 2016 visit to Scotland, which he claimed took place before the vote on the Brexit resolution but was actually the day after. Grisham’s predecessor, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, was found in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report to have lied about the firing of FBI Director James Comey. Sanders’s predecessor, Sean Spicer, provided conflicting information on Comey’s May 2017 termination.

"Trump denies heart attack prompted sudden hospital visit"

I had a very routine physical,’ Trump insists as speculation intensifies after he stayed out of the public eye for two days following hospital trip

Now 73, Trump is the oldest president ever sworn into office for the first time. Speculation over his health intensified as he stayed out of the public eye for two days following his trip to Walter Reed, a short journey for which he used a motorcade including an ambulance rather than the Marine One helicopter as usual.

Trump is notoriously fond of junk food and does little exercise beyond rounds of his beloved golf---

McDonald's Revenge?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/19/trump-denies-reports-sudden-hospital-visit-followed-heart-attack

Well he's either putting the finishing touches to his  "Big Boom" project, or it's his pesky bone spurs playing up again.

7 hours ago, balticus said:

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I'd do her...

Man, there needs to be spoiler alerts for that sort of thing.

Once you have seen it there is no way to unsee it *shudders*

11 hours ago, balticus said:

Note the difference in treatment toward Vindman who is toeing the line versus the character assassination of Tulsi Gabbard who did multiple tours in Iraq.  

🙄

I never saw Gabbard's testimony in this impeachment hearing or in any Congressional hearing, but I agree it is shameful the way the GOP is vilifying Vindman. They really should be ashamed of themselves. 

11 hours ago, balticus said:

That's not true. A majority of Americans voted for her. To be precise, around 3 million more than voted for Trump. Does that mean that Trump is less trustworthy and less likeable than HRC? Do you think people forgot this fact?

@fraufruit Trump's medical episode came as he learned that Congress was looking at whether he lied to the Special Counsel. Do you think maybe an anxiety attack exacerbated by adderall abuse?