President Donald J. Trump

1,650 posts in this topic

Just now, BethAnnBitt said:

I can not disagree with this statement, but it makes my point that the NY Post is akin to the National Enquirer.  As for the other papers I believe there is still some semblance of decent journalism and that if I am a critical thinker I can learn something from them.  

Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia:

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.” 
– Michael Crichton (1942-2008)

32 minutes ago, balticus said:

If you are blinded by hysterical hatred, then it is difficult to see the obvious. 

Cite a coherent policy.

There is truth in what you are saying.  I often have this discussion with my son who thinks the NYT is total baloney, and he’s a highly educated guy.  I myself am a retired SLP and I see errors in health care reporting sometimes.  But I also see many well written, though provoking articles that contain truth.  I also learn a lot from reading the readers comments.  I have to say that it is incomprehensible to me that one can place faith in something read in the National Enquirer or heard on Fox News. 

Just now, AlexTr said:

Cite a coherent policy.

Exactly.  To have a coherent policy would require critical thinking skills.  Why invest in those when you can just go ask Ivanka?  God help us.

US deploys thousands more troops to Middle East after Trump-ordered airstrike kills Iran general

The United States is deploying nearly 3,000 more Army troops to the Middle East amid increased tensions between the US and Iran following the death of Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.

The thousands of troops come as the US awaits retaliation from Iran for the air strike that killed the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' Quds Force leader, and as tens of thousands of anti-America demonstrators have taken to the streets in Iran to protest the loss of the general.

Prior to the air strike at the Baghdad airport that left Soleimani dead, the US had deployed about 700 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne to Kuwait, after the US Embassy compound in the Iraqi capital was stormed by Iran-backed militiamen and their supporters. The thousands of additional troops are reportedly going to be deployed from the same division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, according to Defence Department officials who spoke to the Associated Press.

Seems that Trump is moving his affiliation from Putin to Saudi Arabia...

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

There is truth in what you are saying.  I often have this discussion with my son who thinks the NYT is total baloney, and he’s a highly educated guy.  I myself am a retired SLP and I see errors in health care reporting sometimes.  But I also see many well written, though provoking articles that contain truth.  I also learn a lot from reading the readers comments.  I have to say that it is incomprehensible to me that one can place faith in something read in the National Enquirer or heard on Fox News. 

I'm afraid the number of articles I read from so called quality sources where the spelling is poor - American not British, grammer is poor, the writer repeats themself several times and there is no real depth to the article makes me think that  in general standard of journalism has dropped and too many are going down the easy route of reading Twitter rather than doing proper investigative Journalism that requires checking sources, cross referencing, analytical thinking and proper due diligence. In the modern times of a degree in Journalism, that seems to have gone out of the window.

If they can't be bothered to proof read the article before posting then why should we believe they would proof check the sources.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Who else used to use that word regularly?...  :ph34r:

Your mother, your ex, and later your daughter when tired of listening to you whine?   

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Exactly.  To have a coherent policy would require critical thinking skills.  Why invest in those when you can just go ask Ivanka?  God help us.

Outside of trying to get family leave established in the US, do you have any non-National Enquirer-esque sources that could substantiate that Ivanka makes any serious policy?  

If you really hate Trump, shouldn't there be enough factual policy disagreements to cite instead of making stuff up?

1 hour ago, French bean said:

I'm afraid the number of articles I read from so called quality sources where the spelling is poor - American not British, grammer is poor,

That's "grammar" not "grammer" for those of us who want to keep up the high standards of Toytown Germany.    :lol:

Strzok did not "grow up" in Iran. Nice job of falling for half-truths again. Strzok was in Iran for 3 years when he was 8 when his father was a colonel in the Army Corps of Engineers.. You might want to rethink your BS sources.

42 minutes ago, balticus said:

Outside of trying to get family leave established in the US, do you have any non-National Enquirer-esque sources that could substantiate that Ivanka makes any serious policy?  

If you really hate Trump, shouldn't there be enough factual policy disagreements to cite instead of making stuff up?

If she serves no policy-making purpose, why are my tax dollars paying her? Let's cut the waste by starting with unqualified advisers who earn six-figure incomes.

52 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

What actually is this ?

I can guess where it came from as Q gets a mention but as to what it is and actually shows I`m lost.

It just seems to be totally unsourced rumour/conspiracy mongering ?

What`s to stop just anyone posting something like this about Trump for example ?

Will gullible idiots fall for that to ?

1 minute ago, Keleth said:

Will gullible idiots fall for that to ?

And just exactly who are you refering to?  :ph34r::lol::lol:

5 hours ago, balticus said:

Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia:

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

The same is pretty much true when anything about aviation appears in the media.