President Donald J. Trump

4,065 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

"As many as 20 Senate Republicans are open to convicting the president, the New York Times reports."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55642101

It's hard for them.

They have to balance keeping the support they have now with the fact that Trump lost the election and could lose the next one if he runs for the republicans.

The reps have to somehow get Trump out and try to make sure he can't cause any issues later. 

It's going to be interesting to see just how many ways they can bend over all this.

You know Donald might have done one good thing.

He has brought the USa much closer to Taiwan to China's extreme dismay. Biden will inherity a foreign policy much more closely aligned to Taiwan. China will bitch and wail, and Biden can make seme concession. 

But Donald has established a new status quo on Taiwan, and they are delighted.

I bet Pence came under plenty of Rep senator pressure to invoke the 25th Amendment because that way their fingerprints wouldn't have been all over it. Pence presumably fears for his life and the lives of his family if he invokes the 25th because Trump's supporters are dangerous killers. Pence is a prick but I wouldn't invoke the 25th in his shoes either. My family is worth more to me.

Now the GOP senators have a real dilemma.

4 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

You know Donald might have done one good thing.

He has brought the USa much closer to Taiwan to China's extreme dismay. Biden will inherity a foreign policy much more closely aligned to Taiwan. China will bitch and wail, and Biden can make seme concession. 

But Donald has established a new status quo on Taiwan, and they are delighted.

Not sure if he really did it. In the Middle East Trump will be remembered for Abraham Accords, peace agreement between Israel and UAE which facilitates other peace deals.

Moving embassy to Jerusalem: the right celebrates this, but I am not sure it was good to do it now.

We will see what Biden does (even if he does nothing, that would be fine, too).

14 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Looks like Trump has been IMPEACHED again

First time in history

It's an 'honor' he fully deserves.

4 hours ago, yesterday said:

If at first you don’t succeed...

11 hours ago, yesterday said:

First time in history

How this goes is going to depend on how many GOP in the senate want to get rid of Donald.

It's not easy for them. If Donald gets kicked out they risk a backlash from his supporters, if not then they may have to put up with him either running for the GOP ticket in 2024 or going as an independent.

So they either have to choose a guy who got 80 million people to vote against hi and really showed people you need to get out and vote or him splitting the GOP vote.

2020/21 was just the first installment, we have part two in 2023/2024 to look forward to.. (and not really in a good way).

Here's a series of short documentaries with former Trump supporters describing how they became disillusioned. Series is called "The Game is Trump: Disillusioned Trump Voters Tell Their Stories".

http://americandignitypac.com/documentary/

The first video features Christian evangelicals, the second a Republican candidate, the third a farmer. More videos further down the page. Found via the Twitter account of Steven Hassan, PhD (he appears briefly in the first video and in a later one), who is apparently a former Moonie turned expert on cults. Described in a bio on the website of Cambridge College as "one of the foremost authorities on cults and mind control. He has been involved in educating the public about mind control, brainwashing and destructive cults since 1976." He has apparently written several books, including one called The Cult of Trump, and says on Twitter in a pinned tweet promoting it "Under the right circumstances, even sane, rational, well-adjusted people can be persuaded to believe the most outrageous ideas and leader."

There are several interviews/talks featuring him on YouTube, including an hour-long one called "Steven Hassan: The Cult of Trump - 11/10/19", posted by the New York Society for Ethical Culture, and this short one with Katie Couric posted by her a day ago: "Former Cult Follower Describes How President Trump Has Created a Cult Following".

19 hours ago, murphaph said:

I bet Pence came under plenty of Rep senator pressure to invoke the 25th Amendment because that way their fingerprints wouldn't have been all over it. Pence presumably fears for his life and the lives of his family if he invokes the 25th because Trump's supporters are dangerous killers. Pence is a prick but I wouldn't invoke the 25th in his shoes either. My family is worth more to me.

One argument I've heard for him being motivated to invoke the 25th amendment is that he will become president, and thus will be eligible for round-the-clock lifetime Secret Service protection, which he doesn't get as a former Vice President.

1 hour ago, Malcolm Spudbury said:

One argument I've heard for him being motivated to invoke the 25th amendment is that he will become president, and thus will be eligible for round-the-clock lifetime Secret Service protection, which he doesn't get as a former Vice President.

This is not true, but it is a complicated process and requires coordinating the language and authorizations of the Constitution, the United States Code, and other public laws.

The Former Presidents Act of 1958 defines a former president as a person who held the Office of the President of the United States and was not removed from office in accordance with Section 4, Article 2 of the Constitution (conviction following impeachment).  Holding the Office of the President requires the person to be sworn in as the President.

Successful enactment of Sections 3 and 4 of the 25th Amendment make the Vice President the Acting President.  The Acting President is not sworn in as the President, as would be the case under Section 1 of the 25th Amendment. 

Section 3056 of Title 18 United States Code (18 USC § 3056) gives the Secretary of Homeland Security the authority to provide Secret Service lifetime protection of former Presidents, their spouses, and children under the age of 16.  There are limits to the protection authorized for the spouses and children when the former president dies.  This section allows the Secretary of Homeland Security to authorize the same level of protection for former Vice Presidents, their spouses, and children under the age of 16 for no more than six months after the former Vice President leaves office.  The Secretary of Homeland Security can authorize temporary protection for the Vice President and family after the six months if warranted.

This morning I watched one of Utah's two Republican senators explain why he feels Trump is not responsible for the appalling acts of the rioters in the Capitol. 
He said that Trump's remarks did not lead to the crimes, including murder, that happened on 6 Jan 2021 because it was well-known that the many groups that coalesced that day already planned to disrupt the Electoral College proceedings. Well, I guess they did. They brought equipment to build a gallows to hang Mike Pence, they were armed, they openly declared their intentions.

The POTUS is briefed daily about current affairs, and Trump has long known how to throw raw meat to his crowd. Knowing from his own administration how serious the situation was with that mob, he chose to encourage them to act, instead of attempting to calm them.
And that's why people who try to separate Trump's rhetoric from the crowd's actions are wrong. Beginning the chronology with the day of the riot may convince people to let Trump off the hook; but going back to the beginning tells the whole story and helps to make his responsibility clearer.

It's like the little boy who was accused of hitting his brother: 'It all started,' he said, 'when he hit me back.'

14 hours ago, katheliz said:

one of Utah's two Republican senators explain why he feels Trump is not responsible for the appalling acts of the rioters

Let's be honest, the reason they are trying to separate the two is because Trump is 'their guy' and his has the potential to remove him. They like his politics, they like the way he talks, they like the feeling of winning that trump gives them.

They sense that the hunt is on, not just from the other side, but from inside the republican party. Their deer is getting hunted and they are scared, scared the losing feeling will come back, scared of all the people they told to suck it up, to get over it etc for four years.

They can't let Trump words be connected to what happened because that is how they speak to motivate people to action. It is how they speak, if that is somehow connected to what happened, then they have to find another way to talk and they see how they talk as strong. As they tend to live in a binary world, things are either strong or weak, that is how they see the world and it is reflected in how they speak.

The normal people who are on the far right of the conservative scale are worried heir little spot at the top is over and the politicians are running in separate directions, one group want to defend Trump at all costs and the others want him out. 

it is a little castle built on lies. When trump says 'they are only words' he knows that's BS, he owns a company, he knows how to talk to people and he knows how to phrase words to allow him to try and wriggle out of any consequences. As I've said before, anyone who dos not know what the president says has no business being president. But he and his supporters know this. 

Trump knew what could happen, most of us know that if you get a large enough crowd on the move there will be trouble, especially if that crowd is from one of the more extreme sides of politics. If that was a far left crowd I'd also have expected problems. 

Trump is on his way out, how he goes is going to be up to the republican party and how they decide to go forward. Kick trump out and bar him from running for office gain risking a backlash from his supporters (and maybe splitting the party) or letting him go and risking all this coming back in the future.

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

Let's be honest, the reason they are trying to separate the two is because Trump is 'their guy' and his has the potential to remove him. They like his politics, they like the way he talks, they like the feeling of winning that trump gives them.

They sense that the hunt is on, not just from the other side, but from inside the republican party. Their deer is getting hunted and they are scared, scared the losing feeling will come back, scared of all the people they told to suck it up, to get over it etc for four years.

They can't let Trump words be connected to what happened because that is how they speak to motivate people to action. It is how they speak, if that is somehow connected to what happened, then they have to find another way to talk and they see how they talk as strong. As they tend to live in a binary world, things are either strong or weak, that is how they see the world and it is reflected in how they speak.

The normal people who are on the far right of the conservative scale are worried heir little spot at the top is over and the politicians are running in separate directions, one group want to defend Trump at all costs and the others want him out. 

it is a little castle built on lies. When trump says 'they are only words' he knows that's BS, he owns a company, he knows how to talk to people and he knows how to phrase words to allow him to try and wriggle out of any consequences. As I've said before, anyone who dos not know what the president says has no business being president. But he and his supporters know this. 

Trump knew what could happen, most of us know that if you get a large enough crowd on the move there will be trouble, especially if that crowd is from one of the more extreme sides of politics. If that was a far left crowd I'd also have expected problems. 

Trump is on his way out, how he goes is going to be up to the republican party and how they decide to go forward. Kick trump out and bar him from running for office gain risking a backlash from his supporters (and maybe splitting the party) or letting him go and risking all this coming back in the future.

Don't worry, CB, all of Trump's enablers are going to find their way into bad trouble.

Lawmakers who interacted with the pro-Trump protesters who rioted at the Capitol last week could face criminal charges and will almost certainly come under close scrutiny in the burgeoning federal investigation into the assault, former prosecutors said.“This is incredibly serious,” said Ron Machen, a former U.S. attorney for Washington, D.C. “Although you would need compelling evidence before charging a member of Congress with anything related to the breach of the Capitol that day, this has to be investigated.”

Unlike with the president, there’s no Justice Department policy shielding members of Congress from legal accountability while in office.
“I’d say those are potentially viable prosecutions,” added Peter Zeidenberg, another former federal prosecutor in Washington. “I’d say those guys should be worried.”

The role members of Congress may have played in facilitating the deadly attack drew intense attention this week after Democratic lawmakers alleged that some of their Republican colleagues facilitated tours of the Capitol on January 5 — one day before demonstrators engaged in the assault that terrorized lawmakers, ransacked congressional offices and left as many as five people dead.

I'm certainly glad I'm not one of the bumbling imbeciles or racist assholes who supported these lawmakers. I would have to feel really guilty for aiding and abetting murders.