President Donald J. Trump

3,280 posts in this topic

MSNBC says that Donald Trump is endangering the lives of journalists after the president mocked reporter Ali Velshi for getting shot in the leg with a rubber bullet by police while covering a protest.

Velshi was shot by police with a rubber bullet on-air back in May while covering protests in Minneapolis over the death of George Floyd. On Friday, Trump spoke at a rally in Minnesota and called the sight of Velshi being hit in the leg as “the most beautiful thing” and an example of “law and order.”

“Freedom of the press is a pillar of our democracy. When the president mocks a journalist for the injury he sustained while putting himself in harm’s way to inform the public, he endangers thousands of other journalists and undermines our freedoms,” an MSNBC said in a statement...

here

The orange bloviating POS isn't even doing dog whistles anymore - he's gone full dog foghorn:

In 2016, Trump's biographer accused Trump of believing the "racehorse theory" of American eugenics, from his KKK-loving dad, Fred.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/04/27/racism-and-eugenics-american-style/

I guess we now know that accusation was true. This is Donald Trump, in 2020, dragging out the horrific racist past of American eugenics welded to white supremacy by assholes hoping to somehow "gentrify" racism by claiming that there is logical, scientific proof that whites are just better somehow.

5f67307a713d3_fark_f2xihrk_D_zsRdu-sgrOK

There is no depth to which this asshole won't sink. Trump Describes Journalist Hit By Rubber Bullet As ‘A Beautiful Sight’

At a rally in Minnesota, President Trump described an MSNBC anchor hit by a rubber bullet while covering protests after the death of George Floyd in May as “a beautiful sight,” comments quickly condemned by journalists including CNN’s Jake Tapper. “Absolutely heinous,” Tapper said on Twitter Saturday afternoon. “Ali Velshi didn’t deserve to be shot by a rubber bullet…and it’s twisted for anyone, least of all a president, to call it ‘law and order.’”

In his remarks, Mr. Trump mistakenly said of Velshi, “he got hit on the knee with a canister of tear gas,” falsely describing Velshi falling to the ground while being ignored by law enforcement officers—a sight the president said was “beautiful. It’s called law and order.”

Just when you thought he couldn't get any lower -

Donald Trump questioned Ruth Bader Ginsburg's dying wish that her replacement on the Supreme Court be chosen by the next US president as he vowed to announce a nominee by the end of the week.

Mr Trump suggested without evidence that Democrats had concocted Justice Ginsburg's deathbed statement during an interview with his favourite news programme Fox & Friends on Monday.

“I don’t know that she said that, or if that was written out by Adam Schiff, and Schumer and Pelosi,” Mr Trump told the network, referring to three of the top Democrats in Congress, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, senator Chuck Schumer and congressman Adam Schiff.

“That came out of the wind. It sounds so beautiful, but that sounds like a Schumer deal, or maybe Pelosi or Shifty Schiff,” he said.

Justice Ginsburg, who had publicly criticised Mr Trump, dictated a statement to her granddaughter Clara Spera just days before her death from pancreatic cancer on Friday, in which she said “my most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed”.

the rest

Yeah, we know...

White House Accused of Improperly Politicizing Review of John Bolton’s Book by a Former NSC Staffer

White House aides improperly intervened to prevent a manuscript by President Trump’s former national security adviser John R. Bolton from becoming public, a career official said in a letter filed in court on Wednesday, accusing them of making false assertions and trying to coerce her to join their efforts, and suggesting that they retaliated when she refused.

In an extraordinary 18-page document, a lawyer for the official who oversaw the book’s prepublication review, Ellen Knight, portrays the Trump administration as handling its response to the book in bad faith. Her account implied that the Justice Department may have told a court that the book contains classified information — and opened a criminal investigation into Mr. Bolton — based on false pretenses.

An aide to Mr. Trump also “instructed her to temporarily withhold any response” to a request from Mr. Bolton to review a chapter on Mr. Trump’s dealings with Ukraine so it could be released during the impeachment trial, wrote Ms. Knight’s lawyer, Kenneth L. Wainstein.

He said that his client had determined in April that Mr. Bolton’s book, “The Room Where It Happened,” no longer contained any classified information, but the “apolitical process” was then “commandeered by political appointees for a seemingly political purpose” to go after Mr. Bolton. The actions she was asked to take were “unprecedented in her experience,” the letter said.

Ms. Knight said that political appointees repeatedly asked her to sign a declaration to use against Mr. Bolton that made a range of false assertions. She said that after her refusal, she was reassigned from the White House despite earlier expectations that she would transition to a permanent position there.

In the letter’s account of the pressure brought on Ms. Knight to provide a statement the Justice Department could use against Mr. Bolton in litigation, she asked the lawyers why they were so insistent on pursuing legal action and speculated that the litigation was happening “because the most powerful man in the world said that it needed to happen.”

“Several registered their agreement with that diagnosis of the situation,” the letter said.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely ( also within families.)

I am going to annoy many of you with a personal anecdote. ( But not family related.)

When I was doing my Masters at University College London c. 1983 or 1984.. and it was in Latin American International Law and our Professor Parkinson asked us about power and we gave ( probably ) feeble answers.. and then a Colombian student raised a point. “ Dr Parkinson, in my country we had a President who, on live TV , and addressing the crowd in the streets , and - bla bla - said to someone “ that blond, down on the right next to ( bla bla ).. « my place at midnight.” 
On live TV.