Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

taking a few Bachelor's-level math and science courses - possible?

3 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm originally from the US, but I've been living here for about six years. About a year ago, I completed an MA in linguistics from the University of Potsdam (Germany). After several disappointing job experiences in industry, I've decided to go back to my first love, academia. However, in looking at different PhD programs, I think going in a more STEM direction would be better for employability (for example, computational linguistics). I'm also looking at some computational and neuroscience programs at the MA level. The programs are great about specifically listing the courses they want you to have taken in order to be competitive. I'm missing a few math and science courses, the equivalent of one full semester (chemistry, cell biology, calculus). 

My question: is there anywhere in Germany where I can take just a few courses outside of a degree program? I'd prefer a university in Berlin, and of course a public university. Courses in German are fine. Or would I have to enrol in a degree program and go from there? I know the US offers distance learning options, but one of the programs specifically stated "no online courses". That rules out several options I would otherwise consider. 

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, bhs_jjk said:

I know the US offers distance learning options, but one of the programs specifically stated "no online courses".

What about Uni Hagen? It is the only distance education university in Germany and is recognised as a proper German university (not a degree mill).

You could also ask about being a Gasthörer at an institution of your choice (you have to ask whether you'd be allowed to also write exams as a non-degree student.