Where to live in the FFM area?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am an American guy mid 30s, been living in Stuttgart the past few years and will be moving to work in Wiesbaden. I am considering living in the Mainz alstadt or Frankfurt Westend or europaviertel area. I also lived lived in Heidelberg for a year so I have a pretty good idea of what Mainz would be like (uni city). Housing costs are not an issue as my company will cover it.

The commute seems pretty similar between the two and all of my younger friends/colleagues live in mainz but I am concerned about getting bored in the small city (Stuttgart bores the shit out of me)

My priorities are:

Good nightlife (some clubbing, after work parties, bars) and girls

Good Food/culture scene (another reason I hate Stuttgart)

Outdoor activities

Thoughts?

53 minutes ago, spacemanspiff said:

Thoughts?

Not sure any of your chosen places meet your requirements!

If you are bored by Stuttgart, then Mainz is far too small for you.  But not sure Frankfurt will really be much better, although it has improved a lot in the last few years.

I would just suggest that you check out the commute during rush hour.  The ways into Wiesbaden can be congested, especially the routes over the Rhein from Mainz and the A66 which currently has major roadworks (so everybody takes the smaller roads which also get congested).

If commuting by public transport, consider what you will do if there are problems or strikes.  The trains are always late, and during rush hour there are plenty of cancellations.

My husband and I moved from Stuttgart to Wiesbaden last year.  We were advised to be north of the Rhein because traffic can be a nightmare going over the bridge.  Also, you may end up having to drive through the very congested neighborhood of Mainz Kastel.  The good news is, traffic is a lot less horrible up here than it is in Stuttgart.

I don’t know about clubbing, but Wiesbaden does have some decent restaurants.  There’s a lot more variety of cuisines in this area.

I can help you to compare between Westend and Europaviertel :

I would say most of nightlife is located downtown (Innenstadt) and near the central station (Bahnofviertel) but there are probably more restaurants in Europaviertel than in Westend. Westend is mainly residential, sometimes quite wealthy with some old nice houses and trees along the streets. Europaviertel is more recent, it´s a more commercial area with a mall, some skyscrapers and a higher urban density. Westend has an International University, a big park and a nice botanical garden but you will find also find a park, and an outdoor pool near Europaviertel.

There is a massive contrast between both, but both have their charm, you just need to visit them to make up your mind. The cool thing is that they are not far away, count a 20 minutes walk from one to the other.

On 15/11/2019, 10:14:34, spacemanspiff said:

My priorities are:

Good nightlife (some clubbing, after work parties, bars) and girls

Good Food/culture scene (another reason I hate Stuttgart)

Outdoor activities

Have you considered Bornheim or something even more central? I used to live near the Irish Pub on Bergerstr. and was spoilt for choice with bars and food.