Lost driving licence

27 posts in this topic

Hi,

I did my driving licence this year in Hungary, due to I am hungarian, so it was the easiest choice to me. I have my driving licence for 3 months only, but I lost it on a busy day I think Monday. Its valid for 10 years until 2029. We just have brought my fiancee's two kids from Hungary to live with us and we were driving from place to place to do their settlements. Of course most of the parking places gives u plastic card to measure your time of parking and I stocked the plastic card in my wallet next to my driving licence and I thing I pulled out both accidentally at an occasion when I paid for parking. Anyway. Cant find it since 2 days. Bcoz I did my driving licence  in Hungary, so my driving licence from the EU, its valid here in Germany too. I need a replacement plastic card, that I can apply for at the local town hall? Or I must go back to Hungary to have a replacement plastic card again? We live 2.5 years in Germany now in NRW. It's really necessary to us to use car especially with the kids now. Shopping, for official, work etc etc.

If your DL is from Hungary you have to get you replacement there.   Once you have it you could swap you hungarian DL for a German one.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

If your DL is from Hungary you have to get you replacement there.   Once you have it you could swap you hungarian DL for a German one.

#OMFG, completely false information and information that could get the person in a lot of trouble, you missed a couple of crucial bits of the op's post. 

2 hours ago, FrankHun said:

1: I did my driving licence this year in Hungary

2: We live 2.5 years in Germany now in NRW. It's really necessary to us to use car especially with the kids now. Shopping, for official, work etc etc.

If the op has been living here for 2.5 years and has taken his test in another EU country in that time then he is not entitled to drive here, there are some exceptions but I doubt in the op's case he will meet them.

@FrankHun As a German resident of more than 185 days you must make your driving test in this country, you cannot go to another country of the EU to pass your test. 

If you drive using a Hungarian licence you will in effect be committing several crimes, one driving without a licence and the other will be driving without Insurance.

Please do not think you can get away with it because there are various codes on all EU licences identifying various things like pass date and country of issue.

In addition you should in theory also be on the 2 year probationary period as a new driver.

Correct answer to your question. Please do not drive you are not allowed and go do what everyone else has to do who resides here,  take your test in Germany.

The reason i did my licence in Hungary was the theory that is exactly the same as the German one. I believe road safety is very important and if I do theory on a language that I barely understand do worst, if i do it on my language. I do have insurance on my vehicle, I also fitted with all the necessary safety eqps. Highvis vests 4 bcoz my car is a coupe +1 for our pet, aid packs for cars have actually 2 in my boot, warning triangle. I also have replacement wheel exact size and other quick maintenance tools. I even bought fire extinguisher and fire blanket and a leash that you can coupled in, so our loved pet can travel safe with us. Of course u can drive here with foreign licence especially if it's from other eu country.

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

#OMFG, completely false information and information that could get the person in a lot of trouble, you missed a couple of crucial bits of the op's post. 

If the op has been living here for 2.5 years and has taken his test in another EU country in that time then he is not entitled to drive here, there are some exceptions but I doubt in the op's case he will meet them.

@FrankHun As a German resident of more than 185 days you must make your driving test in this country, you cannot go to another country of the EU to pass your test. 

If you drive using a Hungarian licence you will in effect be committing several crimes, one driving without a licence and the other will be driving without Insurance.

Please do not think you can get away with it because there are various codes on all EU licences identifying various things like pass date and country of issue.

In addition you should in theory also be on the 2 year probationary period as a new driver.

Correct answer to your question. Please do not drive you are not allowed and go do what everyone else has to do who resides here,  take your test in Germany.

Do you have upto a year to get a driving licence in Germany if you have a EU one? Genuine question. 

@Mcdee:   If you arrive in Germany and already have a EU licence you do not need to change to a German one.  But if you choose to switch there is no 1 year time limit.   If you are a resident in Germany without a driving licence, you are usually not allowed to go to another EU country and take a test and get a licence and then use it here.  This is stop people shopping around for the easiest or cheapest test.

Place of usual residence

You can only apply for a licence in the country where you usually or regularly live.

You should live there for at least 185 days in each calendar year because of personal or work-related ties. If you have personal/work-related ties in 2 or more EU countries, your place of usual residence is the place where you have personal ties, as long as you go back regularly. You don't need to meet this last condition if you are living in an EU country to carry out a task for a fixed period of time. If you move abroad to go to college or university, your place of usual residence doesn't change. But you can still apply for a driving licence in the EU country if you can prove you have been studying there for at least 6 months.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/get-driving-licence/index_en.htm

1 hour ago, FrankHun said:

The reason i did my licence in Hungary was the theory that is exactly the same as the German one. I believe road safety is very important and if I do theory on a language that I barely understand do worst, if i do it on my language.

I'm sorry but regardless of the language your licence is not valid in this country, see below; If you do not understand it in simple terms it states that your licence is not valid if you had your normal residence in Germany and your licence was issued during this time. 

3. Cases in which your foreign driving licence does not entitle you to drive

if, according to the EU or EEA driving licence or incontestable information supplied by the issuing EU Member State or state party to the European Economic Area, you had your normal residence in the Federal Republic of Germany at the time the licence was issued, unless you obtained the driving licence as a student or schoolchild during a stay of at least six months;

Source: Fact Sheet Foreign Driving Licences

I do have insurance on my vehicle, 

You most probably have insurance because you have failed to explain your situation properly, your insurance is not valid regardless of what you say or think.

I also fitted with all the necessary safety eqps. Highvis vests 4 bcoz my car is a coupe +1 for our pet, aid packs for cars have actually 2 in my boot, warning triangle. I also have replacement wheel exact size and other quick maintenance tools. I even bought fire extinguisher and fire blanket and a leash that you can coupled in, so our loved pet can travel safe with us.

All these things are standard equipment in Germany (apart from replacement wheel) and your dog must be leashed or in a suitable box type cage at all times. You also need a first aid kit.

Of course u can drive here with foreign licence especially if it's from other eu country.

I'll try again.

If you obtained your licence when you was living in Hungary then you would be allowed to drive here.

You actually went to Hungary while you are living in Germany to make the licence there and that is not allowed and therefore your EU foreign licence is invalid.

I'll repeat this again, you have no licence and your insurance will be invalid in the event of an accident and the police will prosecute you without a shadow of a doubt.

You have to resit your licence and test in Germany as you are a German resident.

If you fail to understand this then please go visit your local police station and ask them the question.

@snowingagain  Careful because some info you posted can be misleading.

@McDee There is no legal requirement to exchange your licence if you have a valid EU driving licence, it is valid until your 70th Birthday or expiry date which ever comes first.

But, there's a catch, this was all but true with the old paper licences but now there's only the photocard which if issued in the UK is only valid for 10 years and obviously expires.

Although in theory this does not invalidate the licence and/or your entitlement to drive it will cause you endless problems if you get stopped by the police here in Germany, they do everything by the book.

The best advice I can give is if you have a photocard licence check it's expiry date and exchange it for a German one as and when it's near it's expiry date, it cost circa €35.00.  Alternatively you can exchange it at any given time without reason.

If you have the old paper licence then you don't need to do anything.

Please note; with Brexit now set for 31/01/2020 it is advisable for any British licence holder resident in Germany to exchange their licence.

The reason i did my licence in Hungary was the theory that is exactly the same as the German one. I believe road safety is very important and if I do theory on a language that I barely understand do worst, if i do it on my language.

Your reasons are irrelevant as @Sir Percy Balready explained, your license is not valid in Germany. 

Do any of your Hungarian friends speak German very well? Perhaps you can find someone to translate this press release for you into Hungarian:

https://www.bverwg.de/pm/2018/45

This is an article from a German lawyer on the decision:

https://www.kanzlei-voigt.de/aktuelle-themen/macht-fuehrerscheintourismus-einen-sinn

@FrankHun

In case you're not aware what you have basically done is what's referred to as Driver Licence Tourism.

The term Driving Licence Tourism describes a phenomenon that drivers or prospective drivers, for obtaining a driving licence, go to a Member State other than their state of normal residence

Thank you snowing again and Sir Percy for your very comprehensive replies. Nice one.

According to TÜV Süd, you can take your written test in a number of languages 

https://www.tuev-sued.de/fuehrerschein_pruefung/die_fuehrerscheinpruefung/die_theoretische_pruefung_vorbereiten

Englisch, Französisch, Griechisch, Hocharabisch, Italienisch, Kroatisch, Polnisch, Portugiesisch, Rumänisch, Russisch, Spanisch und Türkisch 

Not Hungarian,  unfortunately,  but maybe one of the other ones is an option for you.  Also,  you can practise with a software that looks exactly the same a the exam so even of your German is not great,  you have all the time in the world to practise at home

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

Your reasons are irrelevant as @Sir Percy Balready explained, your license is not valid in Germany. 

Do any of your Hungarian friends speak German very well? Perhaps you can find someone to translate this press release for you into Hungarian:

https://www.bverwg.de/pm/2018/45

This is an article from a German lawyer on the decision:

https://www.kanzlei-voigt.de/aktuelle-themen/macht-fuehrerscheintourismus-einen-sinn

Fine, but I haven't committed any violation, I haven't been banned anywhere on the planet of driving bcoz of previously driving conviction. I only obtained my license in my home country, bcoz I was able to do it.

5 hours ago, FrankHun said:

3 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

@FrankHun

In case you're not aware what you have basically done is what's referred to as Driver Licence Tourism.

I didn't. I only did my licence in my home country, bcoz I have met with all the legal requirements to do it.

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/german-driving-laws/#revocation_of_a_foreign_driving_permit

"Do I need a German driving licence?"

Information about the German driving licence Infomatione about the German driving licence

Someone who is staying in Germany for extended periods of time and is driving a car here, may want to get a German driving licence. According to German driving laws, this is not necessary if the stay is a short one! The foreign driver’s licence is valid in Germany in the first few months, especially if you are from an EU country. You should check the age limits or time restrictions for the different kinds of licences in Germany. A driver’s licence class C1 and C1E for example needs to be renewed every five years.

Drivers from one of the member states of the EU or a contractual state of the European Economy Area (EEA) will have less problems having their foreign driver’s permit validated in Germany. A translation of the driver’s permit into German is not necessary in these cases. A driver’s licence acquired and issued in such a country will still be valid, if the holder registers a new place of residence in Germany as per German law.

But heads up: the termination date of the driving permit remains valid! Possibly, you have to request an extension with the German authorities. Since the processing will take some time, you should contact the authorities opportunely. You will receive the German documents together with the extension of your driver’s licence, provided that your registered residence is in Germany and you spend at least 185 days a year there.

Are you still registered in Hungary? If this is the case, you may have been able to get the licence there, but as pointed out above, the German authorities are not be satisfied with that... (You should be getting your licence in the place where you spend at least 185 days.)

In principle, you can go apply for the German licence here in Germany. The people there will let you know if you need any further paperwork from Hungary or if they can request it from the database themselves. Because you got the Hungarian drivers licence while you were actually resident in Germany at the time of issue, this may lead to problems, because this makes your licence invalid in Germany ("Wohnsitzverstoß"). It may not lead to problems, and you may be getting away with it, but that doesn't make your Hungarian licence more valid...

Even if you go back to Hungary and get a replacement licence, it will still be invalid in Germany. I am very sorry for you, but the people above are right.  

In your quoted text above, the bold part is the important part:

"A driver’s licence acquired and issued in such a country will still be valid, if the holder registers a new place of residence in Germany as per German law."

This is not the case for you, as you were already residing in Germany when you were getting the licence. 

13 hours ago, FrankHun said:

Fine, but I haven't committed any violation, I haven't been banned anywhere on the planet of driving bcoz of previously driving conviction. I only obtained my license in my home country, bcoz I was able to do it.

You have commited a violation, you have obtained your licence from your home country whilst a resident in another EU country for longer than 185 days.

13 hours ago, FrankHun said:

I didn't. I only did my licence in my home country, bcoz I have met with all the legal requirements to do it.

I've just looked up the legal requirements for obtaining a driving licence in Hungary so Answer this question, when you applied for your Hungarian licence what address did you give?

Answer that question then we can see if all that I said is actually wrong.

Oh man, I stumbled across this topic on complete accident and am afraid my girlfriend has done this. She took her DL in our original country (EU member) after living in Germany for 2 years. We were 100% clueless about this. Car registry, insurance and everything, no one raised any point to this and she has used her DL plenty - although never got any tickets or involved in accidents.

How do I go about fixing this? Is she allowed to take the normal German drivers license test while holding a drivers license from another country? I am not sure about this and cannot find any info anywhere.

As far as I can think that's the only possible solution, as exchanging is not allowed given the conditions you all described. Does anybody know how to go about fixing this ?

We have absolutely no desire to stay in this situation and want to correct her situation asap...

cheers