Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,966 posts in this topic

Tesla vs Waymo. Same route, Waymo takes 8 minutes, Tesla takes 5 minutes. Why the difference? Tesla mapped a more risky route with unprotected left turns. Waymo is avoiding it. Both did it without interventions.

I think it might make sense for extreme use, like robotaxi or trucks. But for normal car usage, it makes no sense. It adds weight to the car, it makes it much more fragile and less reliable. It is also much more expensive, you have to pay for the service and availability. And for what? To save a few minutes per month?

Yes, the cost is only around 10% less than normal gasoline.

I wonder how they can put those "pop up" stations in any parking lot, etc. Where would they store all of the charged and uncharged batteries?

Some crazy rumour Elon Musk died in a battery explosion accident. Stock fell 10%, I bought more, gained 10% in 2h.

13 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Some crazy rumour Elon Musk died in a battery explosion accident. Stock fell 10%, I bought more, gained 10% in 2h.

You won 10% in 2h but you lost like 20% in the past month if you had shares for long term, I did as well but I am there for the long term.   But I find funny that whatever it happens with TSLA you are always winning money, you must be some sort of financial wizz, TSLA has been in almost free fall for 1 month and you still make money.

P.S., I actually saw it yesterday and wanted to buy some but I was in an online meeting and my iPad was not close by (I run my 2FA there), then I forgot about it.   I still might buy a couple today.

My average bought price is around 40€. So unless something catastrophic happens, I will always be making money on Tesla. I buy and sell small amounts, but never touch a certain amount that right now is 85% of my Tesla stock. That one is for the long run.

It fell some 30% in the past month. Nothing compared with what it fell last year, about 80%. Still, I did not sell last year, just bought more when it reached the bottom. I missed the bottom by just 10% or so. Unfortunately did not buy much at the time.

I bought more because of the false rumor and because FSD is getting really good and within 2 months they intend to show a vast improvement. It seems more and more likely that they do achieve level 5 this year. That will double stock value, even if they cannot monetize it much upfront.

19 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I bought more, gained 10% in 2h.

It gained, but until you sell, You didn't.  A distinction with a difference.

He says he buys and sells along the way. 

If I sold everything that gained over the years, I wouldn't have half as much retirement money. Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.

Zerohedge is the worst, and puts the poster on a level with our other Toytown conspiracy theorists, i.e. a fast track to no longer be taken seriously (and all round ignored). I suggest trying other sources.

44 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

PLEASE stop posting zerohedge links! PLEASE!

These guys are NOT ANALYSTS, they are far right conspiracy theorists!

Well, OK, it's true that zerosledge is a veritable slough of gold-buggery and phar-right phreaks of all nature, but that particular article is merely mentioning something that makes a lot of sense: not every auto company can be a winner.  Isn't an opinion counter to yours the very thing that makes a market?  

6 hours ago, silty1 said:

Well, OK, it's true that zerosledge is a veritable slough of gold-buggery and phar-right phreaks of all nature, but that particular article is merely mentioning something that makes a lot of sense: not every auto company can be a winner.  Isn't an opinion counter to yours the very thing that makes a market?  

I won't click the article, so it's hard for me to comment.

There are a lot of merges going on, most companies will disappear and be replaced by Asian companies, unfortunately.

I think BMW, Stellantis and GM are the most likely to disappear.

Mercedes will shrink back to premium-luxury.

VW, Porsche and Audi will probably remain strong.

Even in Asia things are not clear. Toyota will definitely lose its top spot. I don't think it will go bust simply because Japan won't allow it.

Kia/Hyundai are okeish. The big threat are the Chinese. Especially buying brands like Volvo. One possibility is that BMW is bought up by a Chinese company and use its brand name to put chinese crap on the market. BMW itself is already producing in China and shipping to Europe, so it's a matter of time.

Ok, for the sake of discussion, I found the original text without ZeroHedge crap around.

https://www.researchaffiliates.com/en_us/publications/articles/826-big-market-delusion-electric-vehicles.html

He makes a macro analysis focused on comparing old industry valuation with EV companies. That is already a red flag, that he does not understand what is going on.

I agree not all will survive, but he completely fails to recognize that these new companies can be much more profitable than traditional automakers, therefore justify their value.

In general auto industry has a very low revenue vs market cap ratio due to very low margins. That's why Tesla, with its very high margins, is valued higher than traditional automakers.