Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,961 posts in this topic

Surely BethAnnBitt is making exactly THAT point? She is referring to the US in her criticism.

I would love everywhere to be car-free friendly for short distance living- schools, shopping etc.  More normal in European countries.

Bloody hell, mate, feel for you. That waste of time with your hanging around work if you didn’t have a car. 

In my younger days, I worked a three shift model in a factory. In Essex. Terrible for social life and sleep patterns.

Later in life, I ended up as a trainer at Airbus in the Hamburg area and lived in an area called Harburg because the work bus at 7 am was close to my front door.

Getting back home was more complicated and involved a ferry to “ mainland “ Hamburg and then an hour by S-Bahn back home.

I wouldn’t be able or willing to hack that anymore🙏🏻.

Waste of time and precious energy..

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I’m not a TESLA basher, but I do feel like the automobile centric culture we created in 🇺🇸 produced enormous negative externalities.  I would really prefer to see more areas be incentivised to develop better public transportation and bicycling infrastructure.  Maybe I’m just dreaming.  And I’m all for accident reduction which Elon’s technology seems to boast.  Of course part of the attraction for me moving to this region of Germany was the ability to not be automobile dependent.  🙂  

On the contrary, autonomous driving will allow decentralization. People will move from crowded cities back to the countryside.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Wasn`t there a post a few pages back about an automated Tesla accident and you blamed it on the driver not actually checking on what the car was doing.

Surely if you have Netflix etc running that`s going to happen a lot more.

That was a level 2 system. The current is around level 3 and within 1 year they will be 4 or 5. Orders of magnitude safer.

7 hours ago, catjones said:

The most powerful force in the universe is the bell-curve.  Second to that is the product life-cycle.  Tech success depends on that "product extension" tail.

Crap.. The most powerful force is the Bell end!!!   :huh:

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Crap.. The most powerful force is the Bell end!!!   :huh:

If that was the case this forum could take over the world.

On 29/01/2021, 17:38:51, BethAnnBitt said:

I’m not a TESLA basher, but I do feel like the automobile centric culture we created in 🇺🇸 produced enormous negative externalities.  I would really prefer to see more areas be incentivised to develop better public transportation and bicycling infrastructure.  Maybe I’m just dreaming.  And I’m all for accident reduction which Elon’s technology seems to boast.  Of course part of the attraction for me moving to this region of Germany was the ability to not be automobile dependent.  🙂  

Pushing non-autocentric infrastructure and working to replace the fossil-fuel burning vehicles currently on the road with zero-tailpipe-emission vehicles are not mutually exclusive.  Drivers who remain behind the wheel benefit from more bike lanes and better public transit options.  The US seems to have forgotten this. 

6 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

The US seems to have forgotten this. 

Europe could almost fit into the US from the Mississippi River to the East coast...that's about half.  While the US has made significant bicycle inroads (no pun) in the urban areas; the vast country is mostly rural.  Coupled with winter snow and storms, biking is not always possible.  Admittedly, the US is a car-driven (no pun) culture and the once thriving city mass transit gave way to the automobile in the 1950's.  Given today's infrastructure, going back to mass transit is difficult and costly.

1 minute ago, catjones said:

Europe could almost fit into the US from the Mississippi River to the East coast...that's about half.  While the US has made significant bicycle inroads (no pun) in the urban areas; the vast country is mostly rural.  Coupled with winter snow and storms, biking is not always possible.  Admittedly, the US is a car-driven (no pun) culture and the once thriving city mass transit gave way to the automobile in the 1950's.  Given today's infrastructure, going back to mass transit is difficult and costly.

And saying something is too difficult to achieve is the most un-American attitude ever.  ;)

1 minute ago, CincyInDE said:

And saying something is too difficult to achieve is the most un-American attitude ever.  ;)

But, saying it's too expensive is...

FYI..

This evening on Welt tv @ 21:55 there is a documentary/info prog on Space-X

could be interesting... could be a load of hype and bollox.... but it will be in German..

Very interesting video. Of course, lots of mutual love, but you get some interesting information. Still very weird that no corona social distance was followed.

Although Tesla seem to be doing ok.... Space-X is really getting a hammering!!   

Yet another rocket explosion!!      :huh:

7 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Although Tesla seem to be doing ok... Space-X is really getting a hammering!!   

Yet another rocket explosion!!      :huh:

That mirrors their development of the Falcon Heavy, though. It's part of their strategy to quickly iterate with complete flight tests, postflight data analysis and subsequent improvements instead of extensive simulation and partial land tests to try to get it precisely right on first try. 

Yeah, I understand that... but its quite frightening that people are queuing up to take a day trip to Pluto on it!!   

7 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

This "news" has been repeated for weeks. It's a simple memory chip that needs replacement and Tesla does not need to recall all cars, they can change the chip during normal service appointments.

Sorry I had not heard this news before and do not remember it being written about on here, so I thought others might be interested in the News