Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,811 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, catjones said:

the driver was ignorant of the car's controls and tried to learn while driving

Reminds me of flying for 10 hours and then picking up a rental car on a rainy night with jet lag.

Tesla stock is 'very fully priced,' says investing legend Byron Wien

Blackstone’s Byron Wien has made his legendary career on Wall Street by capitalizing on mispriced opportunities in the market using tried and true fundamental stock analysis.

And on that score, the vice chairman of Blackstone’s private wealth solutions group thinks shares of Tesla (TSLA) right now sport the valuation that accurately reflects the company’s future potential. “I think Tesla is very fully priced,” Wien told Yahoo Finance Live.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-stock-is-very-fully-priced-says-investing-legend-byron-wien-195839534.html

This is the thing, Musk self learnt rocket science, built reusable rockets and people doubt his ability to produce profitable electric cars? Sheesh, wake up and smell the non-emissions..

9 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

This is the thing, Musk self learnt rocket science, built reusable rockets and people doubt his ability to produce profitable electric cars? Sheesh, wake up and smell the non-emissions..

Yes... but according to something MM said a few weeks back, the earth is responsible for such polution because the earth has a very strong magnetic gravity... 

3 hours ago, catjones said:

But, had the driver pressed a button on the dash or took his hand off the wheel to turn a stalk instead of a "button" on a screen, that would have been ok?

If anything, the driver wasn't distracted by an electronic device, the driver was ignorant of the car's controls and tried to learn while driving.  

Windshield wipers are typically controlled by a stalk, but yes, the guy was likely still in the getting to know the car phase when he wasn't watching the road and crashed. 

The dumbest thing here is that you can press a button on the end of the turn-signal stalk to activate one wipe.  In the worst case, you can continue to drive while pressing the button as needed until traffic is clear enough to fiddle with the settings menu.  (it's a slider -- see pic)  I and II are intermittent, III is normal "on" and IIII is fast.  The menu pops up when you activate one wipe. 

wipers.jpg.d71f992be3113736b3dec6408c0cb

So my brother was fiddling around in an outbuilding on his property the other day. It is down a hill from his house. He called his Tesla to come pick him up. It hit a tree. He had to take it 130 miles away for repair. They did not give him a loaner or rental to drive. 

He could barely tell the story he was laughing so hard.

There was a dirt road but definitely not mapped. I told him, so now you know you can't go in the middle of the forest and call your Tesla.

1 hour ago, catjones said:

How Volkswagen’s $50 Billion Plan to Beat Tesla Short-Circuited

“the Germans have finally come, and they’re not as good as Tesla.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-volkswagens-50-billion-plan-to-beat-tesla-short-circuited-11611073974?mod=hp_lead_pos5

I wouldn't dismiss it so fast.

Yes, the ID3 is not that good and pales compared with the cheapest Tesla. Yes, the ID3 will look even worst within 9 months when the cheaper Teslas start rolling from Berlin.

But their CEO has the correct vision and strategy, give him time. His prototype line with Audi is the step in the right direction.

I think within 3 years VW will catch up insome points. Range will become an irrelevant selling point by then, so Tesla advantage on that area will go.

The problem is that Tesla is a moving target. Even if VW catches up on the battery and SW part, Tesla is years ahead on autonomous driving, for example.

But there will be market for both. Other manufacturers like Fiat and perhaps Ford will be gone.