Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,907 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

5k, how old is your imaginary Tesla? 

I imagine 6 months old... 9-15 charges, depending which way out of the village I was driving!!   :lol:

"Tesla's Model Y to emerge disruptor as China EV sales zoom in 2021"

BEIJING/SHANGHAI (Reuters) - New models will help electric vehicle sales in China zoom this year, after tepid business in a virus-riddled 2020, and analysts predict Tesla’s Model Y pricing will emerge as a major disruptor in the world’s biggest car market.

Tesla Inc, which became the world’s most valuable car maker last year, started selling locally made Model Y SUVs in China this month, for almost a tenth less than gasoline-powered luxury cars with similar market positioning.

It set the starting price at 339,900 yuan ($52,376), or 10% below official prices of Daimler’s Mercedes GLC, BMW’s X3 and Audi’s Q5L - all locally made gasoline sport utility vehicles (SUVs) with similar size and positioning.

“The pricing will disrupt the conventional premium cars market and shatter the traditional belief that the cost of an electric vehicle (EV) should be higher,” said Cui Dongshu, secretary general at China Passenger Car Association (CPCA).

More here https://www.reuters.com/article/china-autos-tesla/analysis-teslas-model-y-to-emerge-disruptor-as-china-ev-sales-zoom-in-2021-idUSL8N2JF16U

@Janx Spirit, it's the new casting machines. Cuts down cost hugely! Berlin will have an improved version of this, so prices will come down considerably, after early adopters orders are satisfied.

10 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

@Janx Spirit, it's the new casting machines. Cuts down cost hugely! Berlin will have an improved version of this, so prices will come down considerably, after early adopters orders are satisfied.

Yup, the Gigapress as it is known:

"Tesla starts production of Model Y with massive single-piece rear casting"

Tesla has started production of the Model Y with a massive single-piece rear casting, according to a picture of a new unit of the electric SUV. It’s the automaker’s latest move into massive casting techniques.

In recent years, Tesla has focused on making bigger casting parts in order to build bigger parts of its vehicles in single pieces to facilitate manufacturing.

We saw the first results of that effort in the rear underbody of the Model Y.

https://electrek.co/2021/01/11/tesla-starts-production-model-y-massive-single-piece-rear-casting/

2 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Yup, the Gigapress as it is known:

The one disadvantage I can see to this is if you have an accident the whole part needs to be replaced rather than just say the rear wing.

3 minutes ago, Keleth said:

The one disadvantage I can see to this is if you have an accident the whole part needs to be replaced rather than just say the rear wing.

I had the same thought and was not that happy with it, as it will raise insurance costs.

What I've read so far is that it can be cut and bolted to another part.

On the long run, I think their approach is weird, but might work: they expect less accidents caused by the owner, due to improved autonomy. So if another guy crashes, he pays for it. Second, they are starting to offer their own insurance, which lowers insurance cost as Tesla has no profit on parts used for repairing under insurance.Third, I think car insurance will move to vollkasko, as autonomous cars will probably need it for liability purposes.

I think it is a risky move by them: produce much cheaper cars, at potential insurance cost increase.

The article does not apply to Europe.  In Germany supercharger costs are more or less at the same cost as home charging (0.33c/kWh). In some countries it's slightly cheaper, in others slightly more expensive. In my case it is slightly cheaper to charge in the supercharger.

Prices per country here:

https://www.tesla.com/de_DE/support/supercharging#v3

The article is also not applicable to all US. Electricty prices vary greatly between states.

https://paylesspower.com/blog/electric-rates-by-state/

And finally: Supercharger charges you per kWh supplied to the car. At home you have losses in transport and charger. That adds around 10% to the cost of charging at home.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I cant see any prices... 

Just above the F.A.Q. (Häufig gestellte Fragen) there is a pull-down of countries -- close to the top of the page.  Germany is listed at 0.35€ / kWh, although that price varies slightly when it comes time to actually charge.  Sometimes lower by 1 or 2 cents, sometimes higher by 1 or 2 cents. 

I have an ADAC membership, and charging across the street from my apartment costs 0.29€ per kWh.  I would much rather have a wall box at my parking spot in the underground garage that's hooked up to my electric meter, but that would involve getting permission from the Hausverwaltung and paying for a trench to be laid.  So I charge on the street. 

The touchscreen problem is unfortunately real.  A friend in Munich with a used Model S has had to deal with it and has received no support from Tesla.  The computer is actually fine except for an eMMC chip that is constantly overwritten with way too verbose logging.  The friend was able to get the computer repaired (chip replaced and security keys copied from the old system) from an outfit in the Netherlands, but it was a huge PITA.  Unrelated: his LCD screen started leaking, too. 

Here's a good explanation of the issue from a website that is usually labeled a "Tesla fanboy site," despite them being critical of Tesla when it's warranted. 

This is a bit "off topic" and totally un-like me...   

As we all know, you get a fine and a point for faffing around with your "handy/cell Phone/mobile whilst driving...

Is this also true/aplicable for the Tesla touchscreen? 

As I understand, playing around with the fart sounds in a Tesla while driving is completely ok, while checking your route on a handy is not allowed and will get your a fine and point.

Its a crazy world

35 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

This is a bit "off topic" and totally un-like me...   

As we all know, you get a fine and a point for faffing around with your "handy/cell Phone/mobile whilst driving...

Is this also true/aplicable for the Tesla touchscreen?

Grey area. Tesla disables a lot of features during driving, like Netflix, Youtube and even some car configurations.

But you should ask all auto manufacturers that have infotainement and maps with touchscreen. They have been around for more than 10 years, even before Tesla.

Regarding the fart feature (external speaker), I havent tried it yet, but AFAIK, it is only configurable while parked.

A driver somewhere in Germany (I don't remember where EDIT: LINK) crashed his Model 3 while trying to set the wipers, and a judge ruled the driver was guilty of distracted driving using an electronic device.  So theoretically, yes, you could.  I can only assume it would depend on what you were doing and what the cop saw. 

Since the wiper crash, the automatic wipers are much better than they were when the Model 3 first arrived in Europe.  In fact, I think there were no automatic wipers when the car debuted.

For 75% of destinations you can use voice control to set the GPS: "drive to work" "drive home" "drive to Munich" all work fine.  What doesn't work fine is pronouncing a very german-sounding city when everything in the car is set to English. e.g., "drive to Würzburg" might not work for me.  Many street names are not possible and you just have to type them in.  Alternatively, you can set the destination via google maps or any other mobile app that can share to the Tesla app (before you get into the car of course).

You can tell the car something generic like "drive to Lidl" and it will present you with a list of nearby Lidl locations, which is nice. 

6 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

while trying to set the wipers, and a judge ruled the driver was guilty of distracted driving using an electronic device.

But, had the driver pressed a button on the dash or took his hand off the wheel to turn a stalk instead of a "button" on a screen, that would have been ok?

If anything, the driver wasn't distracted by an electronic device, the driver was ignorant of the car's controls and tried to learn while driving.