Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,907 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

How can the factories be 45% utilized if they are selling record numbers every quarter?

Today... 5 cars produced....

Tomorrow.. 6 Cars produced... that 20 more!!    Record production..!

The more I see of these Tesla model3, them more I am begining to "warm to them"....  but I wont be going anywhere near an EV until it can do a 1000 km round trip without inconieniencing me with a forced stop... and it can carry ladders/tools etc etc!

Wow, ten hours on the road without a break?

You must have a bladder the size of a gas tank ;) 

I see your point... but I can chose weather I wanna stop for a pee and coffee or just take a 60 second slash stop at a layby...

Not only that...  I can slash almost anywhere I like... I cant charge a car anywhere I like... 

But most likely you would pee when you stop to gas up an ICE, so say 10 - 15 minutes?

If you wait a little while longer there will be the new Plaid Tesla variants with 830 km range, if you supercharge for 15 minutes you'll have an extra 200 km.

They may not be quite there yet but damn, they are close...

11 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Roof rack and a decent sized boot/Trunk?

Model Y, yes. Very large trunk, roof rack. 1925L with folded back seats.

and a super charger at every Piss stop on the A3 to Munich and back?

You can cover all Western Europe without problems. If you give me destination and starting points I can give you how many times and how long it takes to charge.

https://www.tesla.com/de_DE/findus?bounds=51.82213528372451%2C19.083103971225146%2C46.43475804230872%2C2.208103971225146&zoom=7&filters=supercharger

Start point...    Reckenroth ( 56370)   0500hrs..

1st Appointment @  approx 0900 in 

Freystadt

Private address   30 minutes estimated work time

2nd Appointment at your neighbours house..  possibly 60 mins work..

3rd appontment    Keg Bar in Munich 20 minute appointment 

Then Back home to 56370

This sort of trip is a regular sort of trip and can be done in 14-15 hrs and 1 tank of diesel... 

12 hours ago, arsenal21 said:

If the factories are 100‰ utilised how do they increase production at the end of every quarter? By bumping it up to 150%?

They increase deliveries substantially, not so much on production.

The increase of production is not that significant, but there is some. Remember that Tesla constantly updates production lines, because the cars keep changing. That is usually done in the beginning of the quarter, then they ramp up and speed up by the end of the quarter.

A factory is a complex thing, it's not linear throughput. They can be operating at 100% capacity, but capacity itself changes daily.

Your reason for not operating at 100% is a discredit theory that there is no demand. It's the opposite. They can't build factories fast enough. They have 30% margin on the Model Y, they can control competitors and demand with that huge margin. They recently decided to completely undercut their chinese competitors. Imagine that, undercutting chinese!

59 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Start point...    Reckenroth ( 56370)   0500hrs..

1st Appointment @  approx 0900 in 

Freystadt

Private address   30 minutes estimated work time

2nd Appointment at your neighbours house..  possibly 60 mins work..

3rd appontment    Keg Bar in Munich 20 minute appointment 

Then Back home to 56370

This sort of trip is a regular sort of trip and can be done in 14-15 hrs and 1 tank of diesel... 

Ok, I hope I got it right:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=7ef5c6e6-9315-47c8-a35a-d54b0670fa9d

Model Y (available in a few months in Germany) with 200Kg extra weight for your stuff. Maximum speed 150km/h.

8:37 minutes travel time, 1h28 minutes charging. 930km.

Freystad can be reached in 3h23 minutes including some charging time. So plenty of time before 9 am.

Total travelling and charging time: 10h 6m. Total time including appointments: 12h. Charging costs: 41€ (assuming a full battery) .

Now if I reduce maximum speed to 120km/h:

Total travelling and charging time: 10h 35m. Total time including appointments: 12h 30m. Charging cost: 29€.

These are values for spring time. For -5C, at 150km/h:

Total travelling and charging time: 10h 17m. Total time including appointments: 12h 10m. Charging costs: 47€ (assuming a full battery) .

I dont see any option for a roof rack and Tripple extension ladder...   Or is the boot really that big?

then we have a 60 thousand euro cost versus 3 thousand that is usually the max I pay for a vehicle...    

Mike.... Just accept that Tesla and EVs are not always a good arguement for buisnesses... Unless you are selling them of course, along with snake oil..)

Lets go for basic Peugeot 508sw diesel ...  navi not needed, clima not needed,... no frills, just as the basic Tesla... 

And I know this PUG508 will get me to my appointments and back, without a need to stop for refueling, thus saving day light time.. 

On 1/8/2021, 8:24:18, padjo said:

Thats not fair I quote from the link

Top BEV results already in our database:

• Tesla Model 3 - 4,232 (7,770 YTD)
  • Volkswagen ID.3 - 2,303 (7,754 YTD)
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge - 772*
  • Nissan LEAF - 692 (5,221)

These figures are not for december they are for one to date YTD, ID3 was on sale in September on, last year, so you cannot compare it to Tesla which was selling the full year

9 hours ago, Keleth said:

Don`t even need that.

We often run at 120% even without overtime.

It`s basically industry bollocks and doesn`t mean anything in the real world.

If cost accounting is in the 'real world' then it does mean something.

9 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Lets go for basic Peugeot 508sw diesel ...  navi not needed, clima not needed,... no frills, just as the basic Tesla... 

And I know this PUG508 will get me to my appointments and back, without a need to stop for refueling, thus saving day light time..

Ok, let's start with the very basic P508sw, starting at 34.200€. That is 28.739€  without VAT (I assume you run a business so you claim VAT back).

I was expecting some van or a larger car, so I'm going to compare it with a Tesla Model 3 SR, because it is already available in Germany.

Tesla Model 3, including clima, autopilot and all the stuff, starts at 43.800€. That's 36800€ without VAT.

From that you get 6000€ Umweltbonus, so it costs 30.800€.

As it is an EV, you pay no road tax, I would say you save at least 100€ per year, or 1000€ in 10 years.

The Tesla pays half the tax per year as a company car. That means 1724€ savings per year compared with the Peugeot.

The Tesla requires very little maintenance (no oil changes, no belt, etc). Let's assume you save 200€ per year on maintenance with the Tesla.

So in 10 years you will save 20.240€ by owning the Tesla. Considering the Peugeot is only 2000€ cheaper, the Tesla will give you an overall saving of 18.000€.

This is before fuel savings! Depending on your electricity contract and where you charge, you can probably cut your fuel expenses to half!

If you travel 20.000km per year, this means above 1000€ savings in fuel. So after 10 years the Tesla is roughly 28.000€ cheaper than the Peugeot.

Even if we go for more expensive Tesla models, it would still be cheaper than the Peugeot!

This is all before we have the factory in Berlin, which should drop prices by 4.000-10.000€.

As you see, considering the total cost of ownership, the Tesla is much cheaper than a Peugeot.

- Shorting Telsa is stupid (its a widow maker for shorters)

- Shorting is for stock that people don't know is overvalued - everybody knows Tesla is overvalued

- It is pure fantasy that Tesla is going to dominate the EV market.

- People who are in a bubble never are able to figure out that they are in a bubble , they will always rationalize the bubble

- Good luck grabbing a chair when the music stops... in the meantime, having fun dancing!

Link is set to time where he begins discussing it, if time skip doesn't work, then skip to 20:30

7 minutes ago, wien4ever said:

That guy is clueless like most analysts. He keeps pushing the idea that Tesla cant be profitable. He keeps comparing Tesla with auto manufacturers, which by now should be considered stupidity.

Tesla will be the largest company in the world within a few years. And after that, even grow much further. The question is how many trillion dollars it will be worth in 2030.

Stock can indeed fall in 2021, but long term investors will see it rising over time.

I don't see a big threat within 4 years. But markets and companies do change. In the meantime, it will keep rising. It is rising faster than I expected, that's for sure, I predicted $1000 pre-split for the end of 2020 more than 1 year ago. Right now it's 4x higher than that. But recent advances in FSD seem to justify it.