Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,959 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Tesla is a real company, with real products, with very high revenue and profit.

Are you sure about the high profit ?

51 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Are you sure about the high profit ?

If they want high profit they just have to spend money on new factories and R&D. That´s what stupid managers would do.

Pleases the shareholders, they get fat bonus and 10 years later the company is either stagnant or gone.

That´s what Paypal did since Musk sold it. Before leaving he gave them a plan on how to become the largest bank in the world.

They were lazy and have had zero innovation in the past 15 years.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

If they want high profit they just have to spend money on new factories and R&D. That´s what stupid managers would do.

Pleases the shareholders, they get fat bonus and 10 years later the company is either stagnant or gone.

You`re the one who mentioned the high profit.

9 hours ago, yesterday said:

I have also made 10 of thousands on Tesla, but not 1/4 million

and I am happy for those who have made a lot on them

But I am an old style investor, who can see the risk of this share just like your broker

I grow my wealth in a slow but safer way, although I do gamble on Tesla at certain points in time

If the Tesla bubble bursts a lot of people are going to lose there shirts on this, just like Bitcoin, I know people who have lost a lot  on Bitcoin

Tesla just does not figure as a serious investment its a gamble on almost all of the investment metrics.

Having said all of that, if enough buy in and believe the dream there is no reason why the share will not go higher, just like bitcoin

They call it "investing" - but what it really is, is speculation. Yes it is possible to win big on speculation and it is possible to lose big too.

32 minutes ago, wien4ever said:

They call it "investing" - but what it really is, is speculation. Yes it is possible to win big on speculation and it is possible to lose big too.

All investment is speculative.  You're stuck with canards of the ignorant.  Your mattress must be getting lumpy.

This topic started with gigafactories and tesla is not the only one who understands electric.  Listen to the Ford CEO talk about the F150...the best selling pickup in the world.  Give 'em torque and range and you've got a sale.  Not to mention the Mustangs....

1400 HP Ford Mustang Mach-E + 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjPD8uBmxQ

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

You`re the one who mentioned the high profit.

Ok, my bad in English "...  with very high revenue and profit.  ". Did not meant high profit, which is clearly wrong at this time. The very high was revenue.

@catjones, the Mustang Mach-E is a beautiful car, much better looking that the Model Y. The specs for the price are not bad. They are not as good as Tesla's, but the difference is not enough to disqualify it as a competitor. I think at some point in the near future people won't choose any longer by battery size/range. All will come with decent range, so sales point has to switch to something else and this is definitely a beautiful car.

The three main things it lacks is supercharger network, a FSD package and again, they failed to capitalize the infotainment center. Where is Netflix?

I also think Ford will have a hard time convincing dealers to sell an Electric car with the same enthusiasm as an ICE car...

Hibernating snakes are putting the brakes on Elon Musk's plans for a gigafactory near Berlin. A German court has told the U.S. billionaire's electric vehicle company Tesla to suspend clearing a forest at the site of the proposed factory. It comes after environmentalists said that cutting down more trees could endanger snoozing smooth snakes, which may be spending the winter there. Tesla declined to comment. .....

Local authorities are also reviewing claims that a population of sand lizards could be put at risk by Tesla's expansion.

here

Ya just never know.

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

here

Ya just never know.

the wish of the germans is:  don't invest here.  it won't happen overnight, but it will come true.

On 12/7/2020, 2:02:00, MikeMelga said:

I also think Ford will have a hard time convincing dealers to sell an Electric car with the same enthusiasm as an ICE car...

It's not the selling that will be difficult (given mfg costs and unchanged retail prices) it will be the loss of service revenue.

8 hours ago, catjones said:

It's not the selling that will be difficult (given mfg costs and unchanged retail prices) it will be the loss of service revenue.

People will come with high expectations to the dealership, then they will talk them down. I´ve seen that in Portugal when trying to buy a Nissan Leaf or a Renault Zoe for my mother.

First they highlight the cons in a subtle way. Then they say they have none for testing. Then they say it takes months to get one.

Ford and GM can´t force them to sell it at the same level as ICE vehicles and that is a big issue for them.

As a segue from Tesla auto insurance, which connects the car to the insurance company; I just re-insured a car in the States with Allstate and they asked if I wanted to reduce my rate by 20% using their pay per mile Milewise program.  It's geared towards low mile cars.  All I had to do is install their device into my  OBD port and my mileage would be monitored to determine usage.   This should go over really bigly in DL:

What data does Milewise use?

The Milewise device uses only the miles driven to calculate how much you pay each time you drive, but it records more than that. In addition to your mileage, the device records:

• Time of day
  • Speed
  • Specific driving events like hard braking (what other driving events are included isn’t explained)
Any and all information the plug-in records is accessible through the app, along with feedback on driving habits.

How does Allstate use my information?

Only your actual miles driven is used to determine your rate. All other information is used to provide you with specific feedback , which can help you become a better driver, and subsequently get better insurance rates. As mentioned earlier, Allstate is now exploring the idea of using your driving data to also calculate any rate decreases based on safe driving.

Needless to say, I declined.

Next up: Homeowner's insurance with a bed monitor.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Or this one:

Why aren't they sweating like pigs with all of those clothes on and dancing?