Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,826 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, catjones said:

Tesla cars don't have a soul, they have a battery.

Wasn't there a concern earlier about where Tesla would get highly qualified staff?

They do have hiring issues. They are paying much more than the market to get people. Which is the opposite of America or China, where people receive less to be able to work at Tesla.

This Mercedes executive is probably being paid much more than at Mercedes.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

They are paying much more than the market to get people.

Did you even read the link @catjones posted? 

Other union representatives, such as regional boss Birgit Dietze, pointed out that although advertised starting monthly wages at Tesla —expected to be around €2,700 ($3,200) —may sound promising in a region where 40% of employees earn minimum wage, she says "Entry level salaries in the automobile industry are significantly higher."

AFAIK those were the salaries before they realized it was not working. Musk flew in this week to "interview" top candidates. Reading between the lines: hiring is not going well.

Elon Musk tested positive for Covid, stock will drop a lot today, I guess.

To be fair, he had it coming, his whole Corona stance was shit.

I played around with the route planner a bit - the routes here are Corona-travel-times, not peak-summer-holidays traffic. 

My questions:

1) is this the same route planner as in the Tesla?

2 )what happens when your route gets re-calculated en-route (stau, accident, Autobahn melts...) - are there really enough charging stations everywhere?

3) What happens when you get to the charging station and its already occupied? Can you see how many available places there are?  I have seen the huge Tesla charging stations in France, but here at the Bodensee I only see some from the Stadtwerk, sometimes 2-6 in a parking lot. 

4) Can non-Teslas use the Tesla charging stations  & vice versa?

5) My devices sometimes behave badly <~10-15% battery. Presume the car doesn't?

6) Effect of very hot weather on battery and electronics of car?

My experience of Tesla so far as been in a show room, and I was very impressed. Got the impression that the end user experience was well thought out, and this translates to the entire idea of his company.

I think that in very few decades the self-driving debate will be laughable, like 1900s and debating horses vs motor cars. If the roads are not suitable, they will change (suitable for horse/carriage wagons --> autobahn), and those who thought that the automobile would never take off because the horse/carriage was better at the time may have lived to see the era where new roads were built that specifically excluded them.

No

2 )what happens when your route gets re-calculated en-route (stau, accident, Autobahn melts...) - are there really enough charging stations everywhere?

Yes.  Stau is advantageous for energy usage unless you're standing still

3) What happens when you get to the charging station and its already occupied?

This has happened to me once on the way back from Bodensee when school holidays were ending.  I started charging about 5 minutes after arrival.

Can you see how many available places there are?

Yes.

I have seen the huge Tesla charging stations in France, but here at the Bodensee I only see some from the Stadtwerk, sometimes 2-6 in a parking lot. 

Superchargers are placed such that you can exclusively use those while traveling.

only Tesla cars can use Tesla Superchargers.  Teslas can use just about any public charger in Europe.

there is substantially less power (accelleration) when the battery gets that empty.

The car has coolant.  I have had no overheating issues.

11 minutes ago, ZA1234 said:

My questions:

Although both use Google maps, the routes will be different.

Yes. Really, don´t worry. There are a few spots around Europe where it is hard, but coverage is being increased every month and in central europe there is absolutely no issue.

I always target a minimum 15% to the next charger, to be on the safe side.

3) What happens when you get to the charging station and its already occupied? Can you see how many available places there are?  I have seen the huge Tesla charging stations in France, but here at the Bodensee I only see some from the Stadtwerk, sometimes 2-6 in a parking lot. 

Yes, your Tesla shows in real time the occupancy. I´ve never seen one jampacked in Germany nor Italy. There were a few situations in California, but there the number of Teslas is huge and in the meantime they increased capacity. Still, most cars are done in 15-20 minutes.

No, only for Tesla. But Tesla can use charging stations from others. I avoid them because they don´t work so well. Tesla supercharger experience is absolutely perfect, everything works, super simple. No cards, no RFID, just plug it and that´s it!

No. Although you should not leave it with less than 10% in very cold weather, as it will use power to keep the battery warm and in the end, if it runs out of energy, it will damage the battery. The car warns you of this depending on outside temperature.

It increases range. Batteries love hot weather. Don´t worry, Teslas are used from cold Norway to hot California without issues, the thermal management system is great.

1 hour ago, CincyInDE said:

The car has coolant.  I have had no overheating issues.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

It increases range. Batteries love hot weather. Don´t worry, Teslas are used from cold Norway to hot California without issues, the thermal management system is great.

But the heat also effects people and people turn on the aircon.

That uses some more power

(Yes, I do drive an E-Auto)

You simply get used to stopping off for a cuppa, a leg stretch and a few Ampere.

Keeps me awake and no big deal...

...and in winter heating + winter tires have a substantially greater impact on range than A/C + summer tires. 

I am 100% OK with taking charging breaks to stretch the legs.  I just wish rest areas food was better. 

We were listening to a podcast about Italian cuisine while driving through Italy, and the subject of Autogrill came up.  We would have tried it out, had there been one at a supercharger.  Maybe someday. 

3 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

We were listening to a podcast about Italian cuisine while driving through Italy, and the subject of Autogrill came up.  We would have tried it out, had there been one at a supercharger.  Maybe someday. 

I'm not sure I would use "cuisine" and "Autogrill" in the same sentence, at least in a good way.  I made monthly trips to Vicenza for three years and flew in and out of Verona.  There are Autogrill stops on all of the Autostradas throughout Italy, and they are nothing special.  After eating at five or six different Autogrills between Verona, Venice, and Naples, I avoid them now.  The food is average, but not really representative of the Italian cuisine available in any of the small restaurants.

23 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

They do have hiring issues.

and, from the article, it sounds like MB has downsizing issues.

This Mercedes executive is probably being paid much more than at Mercedes.

you never know.  if the plant he was in charge of is not productive, it might have been a good time to leave.

They are paying much more than the market to get people.

then the price he pays becomes the market price.

Germany's labor market is so archaic, it's a complete contrast to America and China.  If I were an engineer, I'd jump at Tesla or SpaceX as opposed to the excitement of working at VW on their new door handle technology.

8 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

But the heat also effects people and people turn on the aircon.

That uses some more power

Yes, but the Tesla thermal management system is integrated, meaning all sources and receptors of heat and cold are all connected together.

• Onboard computer generates heat, needs cooling.
  • Motors generates heat
  • Batteries generates heat during charging process. And a bit during strong discharges. Batteries might need cooling or warming up.
  • AC can generate cold or heat.
  • Radiator can free excess heat.

This is all managed by something Tesla calls "Octovalve".

In the case of extreme hot weather, yes, AC consumes a lot. But the battery needs no warming up and they are more efficient.

In the case of extreme cold, AC and battery need warming up, so it is less efficient.

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Too bad his arguments are complete bullshit, otherwise it would be funny.

Did you not notice the big word PARODY on the video.It`s even in the screenshot you quoted.

13 hours ago, Keleth said:

Did you not notice the big word PARODY on the video.It`s even in the screenshot you quoted.

Yeah, looks great for alt-right purposes and their big truck love.

• Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) bulls are taking a victory lap after the EV automaker landed inclusion on the S&P 500 Index.

Rumors that Tesla might merge/buy Mercedes... been saying for years that at least a licensing agreement could be done.

My guess is if this happens Tesla would have access to production capacity, manpower and luxury know-how.

Mercedes would probably stay as an independent brand, using Tesla powertrain, focused on luxury segment and trucks/vans.

Mercedes would have to give up on internal processes, supply chain, etc.

The huge problem is how can they dismantle Mercedes guts if unions block everything...

There are other issues, like there is no room for a Mercedes C class in this deal. It would just be a copy of a Model 3.

And the C class is where they make the money.

Alternatively, they could move the Model 3 into AMG territory and let Mercedes do a C class more focused on comfort and family.

The big issue is that the Model 3 covers anything from an AMG A/C class almost up to the E class.