Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,496 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, CincyInDE said:

$69,420

yes I find that funny and no, I'm not 14 years old anymore. 

A mature auto maker making fun with sex and drugs...

Well, at least Tesla has a fun voice recognition software. Yesterday I realized that if I say "My ass/butt is cold" the seat will warm up :D :D :D

11 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

it´s 224km WLTP. This means real world driving will be around 200km.

I honestly think 200km even in summer with no A/C is being generous. 

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

Yesterday I realized that if I say "My ass/butt is cold" the seat will warm up :D :D

Well, I wasn't going to drive anywhere today, but I guess now I'll have to.  :) 

Here is an incomplete list!

https://teslavoice.glideapp.io/

It does not show the "My butt is cold" but I can confirm it exists.

My absolute favourite, but not yet implemented: "I fart in your general direction".

I guess it is an upcoming feature where you control the external car speaker.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

It sucks. It´s not 295km, it´s 224km WLTP. This means real world driving will be around 200km.

READ your own link.  You can put the car in "City Mode" and the max speed will be limited to 100 km/h and the range will go up to 295 km.

In the winter it will probably be down to 140km. This is for the base model without AC. Will get worst range with AC on.

Acelleration is crap. Top speed is crap.

Oh we have here a Nostradamus.   And anyway, why do you want to compare it to a car with high end specs?  That's not what this car is.  It is a CITY CAR.

Still enough as city driver.

Oh I see, I am right at the end.

And the price tag is very surprising, for me thats the exciting news.

And when I said THIS VERY SAME THING some weeks ago you said the opposite because you are you.

It will sell like hot cakes. In any case, at the moment, any crappy EV will sell like hot cakes. As I´ve said a year ago, in the next few years the demand will be much larger than production.

We know, nothing compares to your Tesla, nothing.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

READ your own link.  You can put the car in "City Mode" and the max speed will be limited to 100 km/h and the range will go up to 295 km.

Putting it to city mode does not automatically make the range longer! From experience I can tell you that city driving is not always good. Depending on traffic I can get efficiencies as bad as going at 130km/h. The constant start-stop and idle times kill range quickly.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

Oh we have here a Nostradamus.   And anyway, why do you want to compare it to a car with high end specs?  That's not what this car is.  It is a CITY CAR.

Let´s compare it with a Nissan Leaf. It looks worst in all specs, except price. And that is the wow factor.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

We know, nothing compares to your Tesla, nothing.

You brought Tesla to the discussion, not me! Looking at past statements, this sounds like that word starting with "e" and ending with "nvy".

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Putting it to city mode does not automatically make the range longer! From experience I can tell you that city driving is not always good. Depending on traffic I can get efficiencies as bad as going at 130km/h. The constant start-stop and idle times kill range quickly.

Again, it would help if you READ the link YOU bought up.  I know you can't read German so save your life, but you could use an online translator.  It says in the "City Mode" the power of the car is reduced (so I guess it will have less acceleration), so that's why it can have higher range.    I am no one to say it does not work because, you know, the car is not in the market to test if they are giving us fake specs.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Let´s compare it with a Nissan Leaf. It looks worst in all specs, except price. And that is the wow factor.

What's the point in comparing it with something more expensive, of course it is not expected to have the same specs.

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Looking at past statements, this sounds like that word starting with "e" and ending with "nvy".

Far from reality, first I could buy a one or two Teslas if I wanted.  Second I like when people enjoy their things, specially when they buy them with their hard earned money.  The point is more about you being so obtuse and everything that is not Tesla must suck.   I bet the cheap-ass Dacia will have nicer interior than a Tesla 3.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Again, it would help if you READ the link YOU bought up.  I know you can't read German so save your life, but you could use an online translator.  It says in the "City Mode" the power of the car is reduced (so I guess it will have less acceleration), so that's why it can have higher range.    I am no one to say it does not work because, you know, the car is not in the market to test if they are giving us fake specs.

Again, you keep talking about things you don't understand! Range is not dependent on power, it is dependent on consumption!

Most of the battery drain at low speeds comes from AC, electronics, lights and powered steering! 

Another issue is with regen braking. Although in theory you should get most of the energy back, in practice a battery cannot switch between loading and offloading instantly. On dense city driving, many constant changes in speed will limit the regen capability.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Far from reality, first I could buy a one or two Teslas if I wanted.  Second I like when people enjoy their things, specially when they buy them with their hard earned money.  The point is more about you being so obtuse and everything that is not Tesla must suck.

The Leaf and Zoe are good cars at the right price. I've driven 2 generation of Leaf and 2 of Zoe. All others become more expensive and cannot compete with TM3 SR+.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

I bet the cheap-ass Dacia will have nicer interior than a Tesla 3.

I bet you never entered a Tesla Model 3. It is nicer than my Mercedes C class.

Again, you keep talking about things you don't understand! Range is not dependent on power, it is dependent on consumption!

I don't understand?  I understand German and I am simply telling you what the article YOU bought here says, that article you linked without bothering to read.

Most of the battery drain at low speeds comes from AC, electronics, lights and powered steering! 

Another issue is with regen braking. Although in theory you should get most of the energy back, in practice a battery cannot switch between loading and offloading instantly. On dense city driving, many constant changes in speed will limit the regen capability.

Blah, blah, blah, of course you are always right, even when you post articles you never read.

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I don't know why you keep comparing everything to your Merc. I've had  2 of them here and they both rusted out. Not impressed.

Because his Daimler has a big trunk which is why he drives a diesel still even though anyone else driving one is in his eyes the equivalent of a murderer.

On 10/15/2020, 3:40:48, MikeMelga said:

Yer unbelievable but hey you keep denying that Tesla in the US treats its workers like dirt and takes the piss out of its suppliers.

Come to think of it you probably think it`s unbelievable that the authority had the temerity to turn off the water.

Big day for Tesla yesterday. Record quarter in all metrics. Automotive margin above all direct competitors.

Then some users reported the first few videos with the new full self driving version, with city driving.

The quality of the videos is bad at the moment but the results look impressive. I think we need 1 more week of videos to understand how well it behaves in different situations, but there is a good chance that Tesla just won the autonomous driving race.

This could mean $100B revenue per year within 5-7 years, although values are highly speculative. It can also lead to dramatic changes to city planning, public transportation, etc.

"Tesla stock climbs after hours after company posts record profit and says it will sell half a million cars this year"

Tesla reported net income of $874 million excluding special items, up 156% compared to what it made on that basis a year ago and nearly double its second quarter profit. Analysts had been forecasting earnings of $593 million.

Revenue hit $8.8 billion, up 39% from a year ago. And cash flow more than tripled to $1.4 billion. Between the cash generated by operations and the money raised in recent stock sales, the once cash-starved company ended the quarter with $14.5 billion in cash on hand, up 69% in just three months.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/21/tech/tesla-earnings/index.html

I think most people don´t realize what it means to have $14B at hand, for an auto company. Not only it covers their entire debt, they can build over 10 factories with that money.

My best guess is that they will use the money to scale production faster than expected. They will start building 2-4 factories per year, mix of battery and auto factory. They can also increase purchases of smaller companies and increase R&D spending.

Also it could be used for robotaxi infrastructure.