Berlin to get a Tesla Gigafactory

1,228 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

The big difference is we pay €1.30 for a litre of gas,the US had a mass heart attack when their price went up to $2 a gallon.

Maybe that`s why fuel economy matters over here and not in the US,I`ll wait for the expert to comment on that.

Yes, that too definitely but I think even if gas was more expensive in the US, small cars would still be unpopular because of the mindset.  They are just not sexy enough ;)

3 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Mopping the floors at the factory for 20 years does not make you an expert.

Thanks for letting me know where you worked and acquired your "expertise".

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

Yes, that too definitely but I think even if gas was more expensive in the US, small cars would still be unpopular because of the mindset.  They are just not sexy enough ;)

They are also not safe enough when you consider a small car vs. something like a Hummer.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

They are also not safe enough when you consider a small car vs. something like a Hummer.

Not so fast. Big cars, especially SUVs, have higher probability of injury, due to higher center of gravity, higher mass and poor handling.

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The same applies here.  Small car vs. SUV.  You know who'll win.  Although I suppose many of the small cars are for running errands in town and don't go on the autobahn much.  They are often a 2nd car or a car of a young or old person who doesn't have to cram one or two child safety seats in the back.  Same with small deliveries like food, almost entirely small cars with good mileage and ability to park almost anywhere.

24 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Not so fast. Big cars, especially SUVs, have higher probability of injury, due to higher center of gravity, higher mass and poor handling.

So who wins in a compact car vs an SUV? My sister got T-boned by a Hummer and manged to walk away from it. She was driving a full size passenger car. They told her she would have been killed in a compact car. I believe it.

33 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So who wins in a compact car vs an SUV? My sister got T-boned by a Hummer and manged to walk away from it. She was driving a full size passenger car. They told her she would have been killed in a compact car. I believe it.

Not so simple. Who wins between a compact and an SUV, in heavy rain, doing a tight curve exceeding the recommended speed limit? It will be the compact car, the SUV will just skid, lose traction and crash (higher mass, bad handling problems). The compact car will continue his journey.

Another example, one guy from my hometown got killed on his big SUV because on a frontal crash against a compact car, he rolled over and got smashed (higher center of gravity problem).

There is a misconception that SUVs are safer. They are not, on the contrary. Not only they perform worst in crash tests, they also are more prone to crashes.

BTW, Tesla´s SUVs are actually much safer, as the battery is placed very low on the floor, eliminating roll over issues and improving handling.

Another example: moose test. Results: the Tesla managed to safely do 83km/h and the attempt at 88km/h was almost flawless. The Volvo only managed 77km/h, despite having active suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_H4zhjLe60

Just to complete, here is what happens when you have a cheap crappy SUV:

but the worst aspect of SUVs is driver overconfidence.  Can't tell you how many times I've seen SUVs lose control in bad weather conditions as they seem to confuse "going" with "stopping".

there was a hill right outside my house in Boston and when it snowed, the SUVs would come barreling down the hill not realizing they had ZERO stopping power?  They usually slid right into the cross road which was two lanes and heavily traveled at certain times.  It was a miracle there weren't more accidents - a lot got lucky and sailed accross that cross road without collisions.  But not all.

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

SUVs would come barreling down the hill not realizing they had ZERO stopping power? 

It's probably not the car; it's the driver.

2 hours ago, catjones said:

It's probably not the car; it's the driver.

Mostly, yes.  But also partly the naive assumption that because they could get UP the hill with their AWD or whatever (many of us could not in normal cars) that going down would be just as easy.  The extra weight is also a big factor.

in both cases good drivers know better, but many many people are not good drivers.  put them in an SUV and they are trouble on wheels.

COVID 19 is turning out really well for Tesla.

First of all Elon Musk's billion dollar fraud trial related to Solar City got postponed.

Now Fremont county has ordered the factory there to basically stop production. Ok, that might seem like a bad thing but if there are fewer Teslas being made that makes them a rarity and therefore should push prices up, right?

And as they currently lose money on every car they make, if they stop making cars then they must start making money, right?

And as a 100 billion dollar car company, they must have lots of other factories, right?

2 hours ago, arsenal21 said:

COVID 19 is turning out really well for Tesla.

First of all Elon Musk's billion dollar fraud trial related to Solar City got postponed.

Now Fremont county has ordered the factory there to basically stop production. Ok, that might seem like a bad thing but if there are fewer Teslas being made that makes them a rarity and therefore should push prices up, right?

And as they currently lose money on every car they make, if they stop making cars then they must start making money, right?

And as a 100 billion dollar car company, they must have lots of other factories, right?

Yeah, that is the first thing I thought about when I heard about the coronavirus - how will it impact Elon Musk :/ 

Just curious- did he steal your girlfriend? Run over your dog?

12 days since the last ost on here...

Has Tesla saved the world yet with their EV and PV tech??      Have Tesla reduced the Co²  polution? or has some other "power that be" taken over?

Just curious...

It takes a while, especially when the world is on pause.  In the meantime, read this.

Electric cars better for climate in 95% of the world

But a new study by the universities of Exeter, Nijmegen and Cambridge has concluded that electric cars lead to lower carbon emissions overall, even if electricity generation still relies on fossil fuels. The results are reported in the journal Nature Sustainability.

Watching some you tube video's the other day, it seems that there are going to be alot of iincrese of pattery performace in the next couple of years - lead up to whats called a solid state battery - which will double the range of cureent e-cars. If that can be done and the price was close to the average ICE car today - then we could see buying in large numbers.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

Watching some you tube video's the other day, it seems that there are going to be alot of iincrese of pattery performace in the next couple of years - lead up to whats called a solid state battery - which will double the range of cureent e-cars.

Don't wait for solid state batteries. In the meantime, normal battery performance has been increasing a lot per year.

Next month Tesla will do a "battery day" where they will show numbers for the next gen batteries.

It's not all about performance, it's also about cost. You can make a 500km ranged car with a heavy or a lightweight battery. But maybe in the end the heavy battery is cheaper.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

If that can be done and the price was close to the average ICE car today - then we could see buying in large numbers.

That will happen very quickly independently of solid state battery. Problem will be supply, not demand.

8 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I talked with a lot of engineers the last 2 times I was in China last year. All of them want a Tesla, they say the local brands are pure crap.

Have you got a graph for that please?

You predict soooo much for Tesla... have an "educated handle" on CV_19...   but you didnt see it coming. 

Those "Booms" that are often heard in North munich are probably MrMelga pulling his head out of his arse to get a breath of fresh air!