Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,558 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Per the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), cobalt metal with tungsten carbide is "probably carcinogenic to humans" (IARC Group 2A Agent), whereas cobalt metal without tungsten carbide is "possibly carcinogenic to humans" (IARC Group 2B Agent).

In 2016, lead is believed to have resulted in 540,000 deaths worldwide.[2] It occurs most commonly in the developing world.[2] Those who are poor are at greater risk.[2] Lead is believed to result in 0.6% of the world's disease burden.[5]

Not to mention that Cobalt is all around us already (is used to manufacture the vitamin B12) and most car batteries will be recycled.

42 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

as far as I know ALL Lead/acid batteries are recycled

Most are - as are most lithium ion batteries. 

My point being that when you criticize something you also have to look at what it is replacing.  Any sort of human activity will cause environmental damage and there will always be winners and losers for any sort of change.  Sure, electric cars currently need cobalt and sure currently the mining of cobalt in the DRC is more than problematic (of course that cobalt is also a byproduct of the mining of nickel and copper), but so is the extraction of oil.   Most of the silly "studies" of electric cars that show that electric cars are dirty look at the entire supply chain for building electric cars and then do not bother to look at the supply chain for standard ICE cars.  That is not "research" that is propaganda.  You have to weigh the societal impact of both.  How does the mining of cobalt in the Congo compare to the wars that have been fought over the oil supply and the damage to the environment? What about the sourcing for the materials that go into the additional components needed for ICE cars?

Is there a subsitute for cobalt?  Other sources of cobalt?  https://www.nhm.ac.uk/our-science/our-work/sustainability/cog3-cobalt-project.html  https://ran-s3.s3.amazonaws.com/isa.org.jm/s3fs-public/documents/EN/Brochures/ENG9.pdf  Can something be done about the conditions at the mines in the DRC?  

"Tesla just proved all its haters wrong. Here's how"

New York (CNN Business)

Less than a year ago, Tesla was strapped for cash.

In May 2019, the electric carmaker was selling debt and additional shares of stock to raise $2.7 billion to replenish its coffers. A depressed share price forced the company to pay off a $920 million bond in cash rather than stock.
The term "cash crunch" was swirling around Tesla. But not anymore.

This week, the company reported its first annual profit in 10 years as a public company.

Perhaps more significant for Tesla skeptics: the company generated $1.1 billion of free cash flow last year. That means it is no longer in danger of running through its cash or depending on investors to pump more money into its operations.

Hitting profitability targets for the last half of 2019 would be a "Kilimanjaro-like uphill climb," Wedbush Securities analyst Daniel Ives said in a note last May.

This week, Ives freely admitted he was wrong.

"In 20 years covering tech, it's the most impressive comeback I've seen," he told CNN Business. "They've gone from doomsday to a joy ride. It's been jaw dropping. And it's reflected in the stock."

Shares rose 10% to $642 in afternoon trading Thursday, a record.

And Ives predicts more growth to come. He published a $1,000 12-month target price for Tesla, more than four times his $230 target price of last May. He said its cash position and the confidence that Tesla is no longer cash poor was behind Thursday's rally.
"Any worries about a capital raise were put to bed last night," Ives said. "They proved us, and many others who were skeptical, wrong."

37 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Which just goes to prove Musk is a buisnessman and NOT in it to save the world!

Which just goes to prove you have perchance been a supping from j2"s special brew..,. ;)  Elon's mission here is to make money and help ween us off fossil fuels but as far as I know he has no messiah complex...

9 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Which just goes to prove you have perchance been a supping from j2"s special brew..,. ;)  Elon's mission here is to make money and help ween us off fossil fuels but as far as I know he has no messiah complex...

Wouldn`t be too sure of that.

After all it doesn`t seem to be an unusual trait in self made billionaires.

What led up to the "pedo guy" insult seemed very much driven by a massive ego and a messiah complex.

11 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Then please tell me how long it will take to charge his next space-x rocket and can he do it from a standard Aldi charging point?

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Wouldn`t be too sure of that.

After all it doesn`t seem to be an unusual trait in self made billionaires.

What led up to the "pedo guy" insult seemed very much driven by a massive ego and a messiah complex.

Pedo guy is South African slang for any creepy old guy.  Musk didn't invent it.  It was childish, however.  Elon seems to have a bit of an impulse control problem.  

Of course the guy has a massive ego complex, you would have to to even imagine that you could do half of what he has accomplished. 

Ten-year old Elon:  "Hey everyone! I am going to create my own car company AND make rockets better than NASA can!  I will be a billionaire before I turn 40!"

Everyone:  "Take it down a notch, Elon."  

12 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Which just goes to prove Musk is a buisnessman and NOT in it to save the world!

Why are these mutually exclusive?

On 28/01/2020, 22:07:44, MikeMelga said:

Being innovative is not enough nowadays. You need to take risks, as the market will not wait for a normal development cycle.

Taking risks and being first on the market worked very well for Boeing, and the piece of junk they hastily put up in the air...

I prefer "boring" but reliable Airbus.

There's nothing wrong with being boring, or introverted. People are different, not everybody wants or can be an high-energy clown; on a higher level countries have a different culture, and instead of forcing people or countries to adopt something that is unnatural to them, we should respect each other and focus on each other's strength.

4 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Pedo guy is South African slang for any creepy old guy.  Musk didn't invent it.  It was childish, however.  Elon seems to have a bit of an impulse control problem.  

And your point being ?

I used the pedo guy as an example of his ego which is why I said what led up to the insult shows his ego.

4 hours ago, UpToWick said:

Taking risks and being first on the market worked very well for Boeing, and the piece of junk they hastily put up in the air...

You make these statements as if the two companies are not competitors or that they have different goals or different standards.  In fact, they are co-dependent on each other.  Do you also prefer boring VW, Mercedes, BMW, Deutsche Bank, BER?  Their corruption is endemic.

5 hours ago, UpToWick said:

In today's perfect timing paper:

Airbus fined billions in global bribery settlement

Disclosures on Airbus' corruption network have been made public after a nearly four-year probe spanning sales to over a dozen overseas markets. The multinational paid large-scale bribes to score high-value contracts.

Pretty "boring" eh?

10 hours ago, UpToWick said:

Huh??? Actually it is the EXACT OPPOSITE! They took ZERO risks and developed on an old design! Their entire purpose was to qualify it as a small upgrade, so no training would be needed!

On their mind (top management) this was the least risky option. 

Being took what the thought would be the cheapest option, not necessarily the least risky. Anyone even tangentially involved in software development should know that making even small changes to software can have catastrophic unintended consequences.

Seems not all locals are happy about the gigafactory being built in their village. They are claiming to be worried about water resources, environment and the change of their village to an industrial center while not caring for more jobs as unemployment was "only" 5-6%.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/ard/player/Y3JpZDovL25kci5kZS9kMjkxZDBiZS00NWFlLTQyMWEtODI2YS0yZjNjNTIwMDdlMWM/extra-3-oder-20-11-2019

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Seems not all locals are happy about the gigafactory being built in their village. They are claiming to be worried about water resources, environment and the change of their village to an industrial center while not caring for more jobs as unemployment was "only" 5-6%.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/ard/player/Y3JpZDovL25kci5kZS9kMjkxZDBiZS00NWFlLTQyMWEtODI2YS0yZjNjNTIwMDdlMWM/extra-3-oder-20-11-2019

This was already discussed several pages before.They spoke to Tesla and it seems that the water issue was blown out of proportion, as they thought the peak usage was equal to average usage.