Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,558 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Keleth said:

TBH because of people like you and MikeMelga.All we ever hear is how wonderful eautos are and keep pollution out of cities (they are much better than ICE autos)but forget to mention the bad stuff associated with them.

You could also ask why do Tesla and any manufacturer producing the new wave of accu items never mention the environmental impact of the batteries or the waste from their manufacturing plants.

Huh?  Do you live in my pocket?  How do you know about "people like me" when you don't know me? I have never said that electric cars grow on trees either. However the overall balance is much better than diesel or gasoline and will only get better as the electricity mix becomes greener and technology improves. That is what the real scientists have shown (in the links that I have posted). That is not true of diesel or gasoline (although one could argue about the potential of biodiesel).    With new technologies, one also has to look to the future potential as well as the current state.  If we only listened to "people like you" we would be trapped in the status quo for eternity.  

Also as an added bonus, the research that has gone into electric vehicles has already also improved batteries in general, so that your laptop, cell phone etc. has batteries that last longer and are less environmentally damaging.  

On 12/24/2019, 11:00:45, MikeMelga said:

Another prediction is I think they will reach an agreement either with Mercedes or Fiat to supply powertrains and potentially batteries. 

There it goes your prediction Tesla fanboi, Fiat Chrysler announces partnership with Foxconn to make e-cars for China, they are going for the biggest EV market in the world.   As I mentioned Tesla will miss their chance of global domination because of their slowness to bring a car for the masses, it doesn't matter if their technology is vastly superior.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkoff/2020/01/16/fiat-chrysler-and-foxconn-partner-to-build-electric-cars-in-china/#20c9ff87d9e2

P.S., I remember you mentioned several times that Fiat was done, well, we will see.

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

...Tesla will miss their chance of global domination because of their slowness to bring a car for the masses, it doesn't matter if their technology is vastly superior.

Interestingly, I read an article a few months ago which said that Tesla don't want to be a car manufacturer, but what to just create and sell technology for eAutos and other industries which need batteries and battery technology.

They only go into building cars to try to push forward the technology and to challenge the existing manufacturers to do better, and to showcase the technology possibilities.  So that they can build a market for themselves in the future and they will eventually stop making cars.

12 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

How do you know about "people like me" when you don't know me? I have never said that electric cars grow on trees either.

Nope but all you do is mention how wonderful they are and never mention the other problems associated with them (specifically Tesla on e waste)

Which is the answer to you question as to why people publish articles about the environmental damage of batteries etc.

E Autos are not all sweetness and light which by reading yours and MMs comments on here people would come to believe.

1 minute ago, dj_jay_smith said:

They only go into building cars to try to push forward the technology and to challenge the existing manufacturers to do better, and to showcase the technology possibilities.  So that they can build a market for themselves in the future and they will eventually stop making cars.

Musk to me seems very much the sort of person that if Tesla stop dominating the market then he will just give up making cars.

B-b-but from where does all this electricity come from? Nuclear? Coal? Russian gas? Oil?

EVs won't take off until they have 1000 km range at 250 km/h with a 2.5 t trailer in a -20°C snowstorm while in a traffic jam.  Additionally, it must charge faster at home than I can fill the tank at the petrol station. 

THEN we can talk.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, CincyInDE said:

EVs won't take off until they have 1000 km range at 250 km/h with a 2.5 t trailer in a -20°C snowstorm while in a traffic jam.  Additionally, it must charge faster at home than I can fill the tank at the petrol station. 

THEN we can talk.  :ph34r:

Pretty much. 

Another thing I find strange when talking to nayers is when I comment about the free charging getting relatively popular in big supermarket chains, I tell them you can get 200 km worth free electricity and they tell me "Naaaahhh, I mostly walk to the supermarket".   I am totally sure if the supermarkets were giving you 10-20 liters of benzine/diesel no questions no strings attached they will run to the supermarket every third day with their car even if they didn't need to buy anything.

36 minutes ago, Krieg said:

... I am totally sure if the supermarkets were giving you 10-20 liters of benzine/diesel no questions no strings attached they will run to the supermarket every third day with their car even if they didn't need to buy anything.

Can confirm.  I shop when I don't really need anything because hey, free electricty.  When I do this I tend to buy non-perishable stuff.  

10 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

Can confirm.  I shop when I don't really need anything because hey, free electricty. 

And if everyone abuses the system like this, I am sure the free leccy will be stopped!

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

You could also ask why do Tesla and any manufacturer producing the new wave of accu items never mention the environmental impact of the batteries or the waste from their manufacturing plants.

Yes, why do they not report the environmental impact from their manufacturing plants? 

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tesla+impact+report+2019

4 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

Abuse is when people charge and don't shop.  

maybe I should have said "Mis-use" the priviledge...  

30 minutes charging and you buy a  box of salt!   

54 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Oh you mean their first ever impact report ?

The one in 2019 despite Tesla being founded in 2003 ?

That one ?

Is there some sort of law about how often you have to publish your impact report?  Seems to me that they have been busy revolutionizing an industry.

Just admit that you were too lazy to actually look and see if they had reported on their environmental impact or not and move on.  If you find yourself in a hole, the first rule is to stop digging.   

I did some searching and the only other environmental impact reports that I can find from other car companies is about how the cars themselves make an impact. Nothing on the production of said cars.

But most car plants are actually quite old... so its almost impossible to see what impact they have.. A New Tesla Factory will have alsorts of data available!

39 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Is there some sort of law about how often you have to publish your impact report?  Seems to me that they have been busy revolutionizing an industry.

Just admit that you were too lazy to actually look and see if they had reported on their environmental impact or not and move on.  If you find yourself in a hole, the first rule is to stop digging.   

When you`re a company that prides itself on the future of the environment and being THE company that cares you don`t find it strange that they take 16 years to provide an impact report ?

And you have just proved my very 1st point as to why people keep talking about the impact of producing batteries.It is because of people like you who see EV autos as the clean future and forget the impact of the batteries and think that once EVs become standard then problems over.

36 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I did some searching and the only other environmental impact reports that I can find from other car companies is about how the cars themselves make an impact. Nothing on the production of said cars.

Yep can`t understand it either.Every company should have to produce an impact statement.