Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

1,961 posts in this topic

But one thing I hate about the power here is they over supply you... so instead of it being 220/230v its often as high as 245V

That is power thats simply dissipated in the form of heat and we pay for it even though we dont want it!

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

No it doesnt...  

Almost every single home is capable of 400V  3phase  delivery...  

I bet you less than 1% of UK homes have 3 Phase...    

Why is the German network so bad?       Your words please.. not some link to an amt with agenda!

Well, not my words, but:

On 1.1.2020, 16:42:39, Keleth said:

There`s a village just down the road from me with 3 houses with a charger built on the house.

Apparently another person has been told he`s not allowed to put one on his house because of problems it will cause with the electricity supply.

Power is measured in W(att)!

V is the potential difference

As far as I know they only garantee 230V+/- 10%

The electricity meter you find in every house measures the energy you used.

I don't see, where energy is dissipated.

On 1.1.2020, 16:42:39, Keleth said:

There`s a village just down the road from me with 3 houses with a charger built on the house.

Apparently another person has been told he`s not allowed to put one on his house because of problems it will cause with the electricity supply.

This village though is in bumfuck nowhere with about 30 houses.

Quite simple: All cables have a certain cross section.

If you have 30 houses, a 100m cable running to the houses and you assume the current in every house to be 20 A then you would install a cable with a cross section of 270mm².

If the owners of 5 houses want to install water heater with 20kW or chargers with the same power than they would need a cable with a cross section of 400mm², othewise the voltage drop would be to high and the cables would get hot.

The same reason why you can't install sockets at lamp posts. The cables are to thin. They only have the right diameter for the lamps.

7 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Power is measured in W(att)!

So what´s the English term for "Kraft" then (measured in Newton)? leo.org says "power" for that as well. How do you Anglosaxons distinguish?

3 hours ago, jeba said:

So what´s the English term for "Kraft" then (measured in Newton)? leo.org says "power" for that as well. How do you Anglosaxons distinguish?

Kraft is either Power or Force ( As Franklan says)

Its almost as confusing as Bitte... 

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Typical misinformation. Completely wrong.

What part of it?

The part from this guy ?

The AfD parliamentary group - like Hans-Werner Sinn 

It doesn't make sense to me because a battery is produced one time and the actual car doesn't emit CO². A diesel must be filled over and over and accruing oil and processing it emits a lot of CO². Then the car emits CO² as well.

What am I missing?

I guess that depends on the source. Zero if it is solar or wind.

Of course then will come the argument about how much CO² is released manufacturing solar panels and wind turbines and don't forget the electricity as well.

:D

On 1/2/2020, 11:53:29, Rushrush said:

i keep hearing that electric is the future but the 

problem is where do you put charging stations when you live in apartment with on street parking? 

For free at: Lidl, Rewe, Kaufland, IKEA, Aldi, Metro, Hornbach. Hagebau, Bauhaus, Sky, Norma, ... Of course not in all branches but most of them are in the process of installing new charging points.  If it will stay for free in the long term, no one knows, because they are being VERY generous at the moment, in most you get electricity worth for around 200km for a 30-60 minutes visit.   This might be enough for a city dweller with a reasonable commute.

And there are literally thousands and thousands of paid chargers on the streets.  Charging is not really an issue at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And there are literally thousands and thousands of paid chargers on the streets.  Charging is not really an issue at the moment.

This is very true, depending on where you live, work, etc.  It's such a non-problem that some are complaining that parking has been taken away and the chargers are not being used.  This will change once VW EVs hit the streets en masse.   

16 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Why do they always report on the enviromental impact of the production of batteries and never compare it to the production of gasoline/diesel components?  Regular engines do not grow on trees and ICE requires rare metals as well.  Not to mention that batteries are some of the most recycled components in the waste stream.   This is not a serious study:

https://www.electrive.net/2019/04/20/experten-entlarven-elektroauto-studie-von-hans-werner-sinn-als-unwissenschaftliche-meinungsmache/

https://www.wiwo.de/technologie/mobilitaet/ist-das-e-auto-ein-rueckschritt-was-hans-werner-sinn-bei-seiner-elektroauto-studie-uebersehen-hat/24237236.html

7 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Why do they always report on the enviromental impact of the production of batteries and never compare it to the production of gasoline/diesel components? 

Because we are being forced to change to EVs... we were never forced to buy ICEs.. we chose to!

3 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Why do they always report on the enviromental impact of the production of batteries and never compare it to the production of gasoline/diesel components?  Regular engines do not grow on trees and ICE requires rare metals as well.  Not to mention that batteries are some of the most recycled components in the waste stream.   This is not a serious study:

https://www.electrive.net/2019/04/20/experten-entlarven-elektroauto-studie-von-hans-werner-sinn-als-unwissenschaftliche-meinungsmache/

TBH because of people like you and MikeMelga.All we ever hear is how wonderful eautos are and keep pollution out of cities (they are much better than ICE autos)but forget to mention the bad stuff associated with them.

You could also ask why do Tesla and any manufacturer producing the new wave of accu items never mention the environmental impact of the batteries or the waste from their manufacturing plants.