Berlin to get a Tesla Gigafactory

330 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

He has made a fortune recently..

So did this new trade called "mechanics" who went from blacksmiths to capitalize on the new technology automobiles.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

My Parents neighbour is a contractor for the AA Recovery...  

He is just loving all the call out for EVs that he gets!   He says there are dozens each week he get called out to so they can be dragged to the nearest charging point as he says over 30% are non functioning

There are over 20.000 charging stations in Germany. Of course dozens malfunction per week.

On Wednesday my wife spent the day with the manager of the company that makes most of the high end chargers in Portugal.

He said that the current issue is that they sell their chargers for many of these installer companies, like Innogy, and those companies are growing faster than their service departments can handle. This is of course an immature market but things will eventually settle down. At the moment it is not even a big issue due to overcapacity

There are also a multitude of cheaper and less reliable chargers (11-22kW) from companies without much experience in the area. Again, lack of maturity, it improve naturally.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

He says some of them are a pain in the arse as you need to contact the manufacturers helpline to get the software to allow  the motors to go into free-running mode orelse it can wreck the motors/electronics...

Well, now that sounds completely bullshit! The motors are decoupled from the charging system. TBH, I've never heard of damaged from charging. I'm sure there have been issues, but not "dozens each week".

In the meantime there were 5000 fires in gas stations in america every year.

http://jwkblog.com/wordpress/fire-at-gas-stations-some-facts-some-statistics-and-some-prevention-tips/

They have 168.000 gas stations in America. And 57.000 charging stations. For the same ratio we should see 1700 fires in a charging station. I can't even find statistics of it! I can only find very, very isolated issues.

Conclusion typical FUD, assuming ICE cars don't have charging problems by themselves.

Whay don´t they simply offer batteries for drop-and-lease? You arrive at the station and swap your empty battery for a new one just like you do with en empty propane bottle? That would make me consider an EV. 

8 hours ago, jeba said:

Whay don´t they simply offer batteries for drop-and-lease? You arrive at the station and swap your empty battery for a new one just like you do with en empty propane bottle? That would make me consider an EV. 

Because they are not AAA batteries.  Like half of the weight of the car is the batteries.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Because they are not AAA batteries.  Like half of the weight of the car is the batteries.

I know. Just use something similiar to a forklift then. Where must I apply for having that concept patented?

16 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Oh behave ffs.

1 of them was because of a hurricane,1 of them was because of a power outage,still never mind none of those would have affected a charging station would it.

7 hours ago, Keleth said:

Oh behave ffs.

1 of them was because of a hurricane,1 of them was because of a power outage,still never mind none of those would have affected a charging station would it.

This was to highlight the exact point! Both Supercharger lines and these ICE events are RARE! Thanks for falling in the trap!