Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

3,095 posts in this topic

On 21.7.2022, 14:41:05, catjones said:

but, @Krieg  says 

there seems to be a contradiction...

His hate clouds his mind. He wants Tesla to fail, because somehow he will be able to afford a cheap EV on day and doesn't want to have Tesla around, to avoid buyer's remorse.

These white knights are funny.  I said Tesla will eventually lose its leadership.  I does not mean it won't be a successful company.  And why I would want it to fail? I have a reasonable amount invested in Tesla shares. Of course I want it to succeed, most of Tesla problems are Musk, it will be better if he was gone.

And you think I can't afford an EV? Just because I do not think having a 50k car is a good investment it does not mean I can't have one.

And ironically you call me pathetic. LoL

These white knights are funny.  I said Tesla will eventually lose its leadership.  I does not mean it won't be a successful company.  And why I would want it to fail? I have a reasonable amount invested in Tesla shares. Of course I want it to succeed, most of Tesla problems are Musk, it will be better if he was gone.

And you think I can't afford an EV? Just because I do not think having a 50k car is a good investment it does not mean I can't have one.

And ironically you call me pathetic. LoL

6 hours ago, Anna66 said:

One of the problems is, how are we going to charge all the electric cars? Where will all the energy come from?

There will be a slight increase in the overall electricity demand due to EV adoption.  Remember: oil doesn't get turned into gasoline or diesel without substantial energy inputs beyond the oil itself.  This energy will simply be redirected into the grid. 

The issue of this slight increase in demand is already being solved by capitalism.  Plus it's not like everyone on the planet takes delivery of an EV and scraps their ICE-vehicle tomorrow.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The biggest actual charging issue with EV adoption is the last-mile infrastructure, but SWM for example is already building out capacity.  Again, capitalism to the rescue, lol.

23 hours ago, Anna66 said:

One of the problems is, how are we going to charge all the electric cars? Where will all the energy come from?

Most owners charge at night or during off-peak hours during the day. There is a lot of wasted energy during off-peak hours. As an example, Portugal produces almost 3x more than it consumes.

Energy wise, as @CincyInDE mentioned, it's all related. If you don't need oil for car fuel, you can either use the energy used to mine it and process it to charge cars, or in the most extreme case, you can burn it to charge cars. Remember: EVs are so efficient that a diesel stationary generator charging an EV is more efficient and clearner than a diesel powered car!

Major update to FSD beta this weekend. For those not following closely, this guy, Chuck Cook, has been testing FSD beta on an extremely hard and dangerous scenario for a year. It became so well known that it was a flag that Tesla was not making progress, as it could not handle this specific unprotected left turn.

Since a month, Tesla dispatched a test team to the sight and tested relentlessly software changes.

Chuck made this video yesterday and the results look very good.

It's getting there, step by step, I think we're less than a year from being statistically safer than a human in complex situations. It's probably already much safer than a human on simple situations, where a human would get distracted.

Not sure if link will work in EU.  If not and you wish to see entire article, let me know.

Tesla will increase the price of Full Self-Driving next month. Elon Musk said the price of the driver-assistance software will increase to $15,000 — or 25% — on Sept. 5. Get the full rundown. 

If it works ( which I still not sure about ), I think there will be a big demand from taxi  and truck driving firms - will pay a lot as they can stop paying the drivers.  Sure driver assistance features will always get better.

Private drivers will have a point where they will not pay it, unless people just do not own there own cars any more, and just take a robo taxi everywhere. I would look at the costs of owning and robotaxis, I have no real love for doing the driving anymore.

I guess its expensive as musk still want humans on Mars, which will  cost a bit.

Not sure if everyone would be willing to step into a robo taxi out of fear. Hell, most people can't afford today's taxis. I don't think they will be any cheaper.

I think its just a case of getting used to things, I am sure a lot of people would not fly, because they thought planes were un safe in the 50,60 etc. But after seeing them work for lots of years and seeing very little crashes they get confidence in them and want to fly in them, I am sure that if robotaxies come and the public can see they are safe over a number of years that they will eventually accept them and use them. As said I am still not sure Musks team can do it.

If you take the driver away from the taxi, its going to save a lot of the cost on the ride, the customer will get lower ride costs, otherwise it will not be done.

Just think if a truck is driven from the UK to south Italy, the driver is probably driving for a max of 8 hours for a couple of days ( maybe a week ), if a computer could do it, it would be there in half the time as the computer does not need to rest, thats going to save a massive amount of money, of which Tesla will get some and the trucking company will get some. Of course its bad for a lot of people who get their money from driving 

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

If you take the drive away from the taxi, its going to save a lot of the cost on the ride, the customer will get lower ride costs, otherwise it will not be done.

We will see. Never heard of costs going down for anything.

18 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We will see. Never heard of costs going down for anything.

Almost all costs generally fall over time.

Look at the price for solar cells, 10 years ago they were 10 times more expensive, look at computers, for much more performance you get much more power, when I first came to Munich I paid about 750 Marks for a ticket to Manchester and back, now I can get a ticket for less than 50 Euro ( 100 Marks ), because of Ryanair and easyJet

Costs for fridges etc in real terms are much cheaper now.

I can only think of property and maybe food that seems to go up and up

sorry a lot of things do go up, but some stuff has gone down as well.

I always think of Musk as a business man first with a very good technical background, he knows that he will have to get the pricing right, for people and companies to want to buy his products

On 8/22/2022, 5:21:45, fraufruit said:

Not sure if everyone would be willing to step into a robo taxi out of fear. Hell, most people can't afford today's taxis. I don't think they will be any cheaper.

Robotaxis will be much cheaper than today. So cheap that they will compete with public transportation.

I think small vans with 7-10 people will completely replace public transport, as they will allow flexible routes, door to door.

Fear passes after a few trips. Right now FSD is really scary, as although +/- safe, it does things differently from a human. It's much better handling multiple "targets" at the same time, but worst in some situations which are simple for humans.

On 8/22/2022, 4:35:37, fraufruit said:

I would think most people don't want/need it for that price. EV's already do enough cool stuff. Would it be optional?

Yes, optional. I think monthly subscription will be very common. Imagine spending 30 minute commute either sleeping, working or entertained. How much is that worth?

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

And there are still millions of people with the fear of flying.

Transportation as a service is unavoidable. At some point, perhaps 2050, it will be the only allowed transportation method allowed in cities. Human drivers will eventually not be allowed.