Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,983 posts in this topic

Speaking of batteries-

Electric-car owners may never need to worry about how far they can travel on a full charge again. In China, at least.

Last week, Chinese battery maker CATL announced that it will start producing a next-generation battery that can deliver at least 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) of driving range. The Qilin battery enters production in 2023.

Currently, the longest-range vehicle you can buy in the US is the $169,000 Lucid Air, the debut sedan from a California-based startup. It can travel 520 miles per charge, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

The next best is Tesla's Model S sedan, with an estimated range of 405 miles. An electric vehicle that can travel 600 miles or more would constitute an epic step forward in battery tech.

CATL, the world's largest manufacturer of EV batteries and a supplier for Tesla, says the Qilin packs tons of energy into a compact package thanks to advancements in both battery chemistry and packaging. The battery has an energy density of 255 watt-hours per kilogram, according to CATL.

It will be 13% more powerful than 4680 batteries, the format Tesla recently started using for its Model Y SUVs, CATL said.

here

On 6/28/2022, 12:46:50, Krieg said:

It is good to see that Elon Musk is a clown at running his company just like every other top manager. 

Anyone who states the above, makes my point perfectly clear.  You are a cliché.

7 hours ago, Krieg said:

Missing the point completely.    What he did shows he is disconnected from his own company.

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I was wondering that myself.

1.  She initiated the quote

2.  I was speaking to her

3.  She's erudite.

As for the battery article: There isn't a company I've worked for or at that wasn't making constant improvements in their products/services/systems/financials.  You can put a stick anywhere in that stream of innovation and it will continue to pass you by.  The last person to buy a DVD is kicking themselves as much as the first person to buy Betamax.  So, this is my answer to her question

On 6/23/2022, 2:18:02, fraufruit said:

Who would choose the traditional battery over the new, improved one?

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Speaking of batteries-

here

I really don't like those headlines. Right now you could already build a car that could travel way more than 1000km. It's all about price, not about range.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Right now you could already build a car that could travel way more than 1000km. It's all about price, not about range.

Likewise, in the video I published above, with a liquid cooled charger, a truck gets recharged in 30 minutes.  When auto recharge takes as long/short as petrol, range will be less of a concern.  All of these technologies are rapidly advancing to the point where, less than three years ago when this topic was born, the things we discuss today were fiction back then.

"Tesla Sets Vehicle Production Record In June"

Tesla reported second quarter vehicle production and delivery numbers on Saturday. The trend of quarter-over-quarter growth finally got broken and year-over-year growth was minimal due to certain supply chain and factory uptime challenges. However, one big positive from the quarter was production in the month of June. Tesla reports that “June 2022 was the highest vehicle production month in Tesla’s history.” That bodes well for quarter number 3.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/04/tesla-sets-vehicle-production-record-in-june/

Good news! The Schwarzbau in Gruenheide is closing.

Bad news: only for a couple weeks, summer holidays😕

Why so much silence here :) ?

probably everyone feeling dehydrated because of heat wave.

Tesla had good Q2 numbers yesterday but sold 75% of bitcoins probably in a loss.

12 minutes ago, DanglingPointer said:

Tesla had good Q2 numbers yesterday but sold 75% of bitcoins probably in a loss.

Those good numbers are after firing people and cutting in R&D.  Plus they missed on revenue.   It looks that the reign of Tesla will finish much earlier than I expected.   The usual suspects are now pumping cars into the market at reasonable speed and it is just a matter of time before they either catch up with the technology or they beat Tesla with much better prices and options.    I bet the "reasonable" priced EV will come first from a traditional car maker than the Tesla 2.   

"Tesla's Profit Soars -- and More Strong Growth Is On the Way"

KEY POINTS

Tesla now has more than $18 billion of cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities.

The company's net income nearly doubled in Q2, compared to the year-ago period.

With management guiding for 50% annualized growth in deliveries in the coming years, the company clearly anticipates having plenty of areas in which to reinvest its cash.

Electric-car maker Tesla (TSLA 0.80%) reported strong second-quarter results yesterday afternoon, featuring 42% revenue growth. The performance was impressive, considering the tough global supply chain and logistics challenges automotive companies are facing. Of particular note, Tesla's second-quarter profit crushed expectations. Even more, with sales and profits increasing rapidly, the company's war chest of cash grew substantially.

Tesla's strong financials are in stark contrast to the negative free cash flow the company burned through for years after its initial public offering in 2010. But the tides have turned -- and Tesla's second-quarter 2022 report drives this point home.

Helped by the company's 27% year-over-year increase in vehicle deliveries, the automaker's net income nearly doubled, increasing from about $1.1 billion in the year-ago quarter to nearly $2.3 billion in the second quarter of 2022. Tesla's non-GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) earnings per share jumped 57% year over year to $2.27 -- handily beating the consensus analyst forecast for $1.81.

Impressively, Tesla's automotive margin was 27.9%, only down 46 basis points from 28.4% in the year-ago quarter. Investors should applaud such a small setback in an environment where companies with global supply chains are facing a range of ever-evolving challenges.

Operating margin actually improved, increasing from 11% in the year-ago quarter to nearly 15%. This key profitability metric was helped by growth in deliveries, a higher average selling price on Tesla's vehicles, lower stock-based compensation expense, and more. This even occurred as the company saw higher per-unit fixed costs in Shanghai during the quarter due to shutdowns related to the region's COVID-19 operating restrictions.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/07/21/teslas-profit-soars-and-more-strong-growth-is-on-t/

Selling bitcoin was a red flag as they wanted to match the numbers at any cost. Due to some factory shutdowns and may be chip shortage it was hard anyways to meet the numbers, but still Tesla cars have good demand right now.

On 21.7.2022, 13:48:21, Krieg said:

Those good numbers are after firing people and cutting in R&D.  Plus they missed on revenue.   It looks that the reign of Tesla will finish much earlier than I expected.   The usual suspects are now pumping cars into the market at reasonable speed and it is just a matter of time before they either catch up with the technology or they beat Tesla with much better prices and options.    I bet the "reasonable" priced EV will come first from a traditional car maker than the Tesla 2.   

LOLOLOL. Don't be pathetic. Really, get out of that hole.

The quarter was actually very good considering Shangai factory was closed due to covid.

Firing of people was marginal and was done late in the quarter. CAPEX was the same as with previous quarters, meaning there was no change on overall expenses.

R&D costs were slightly lower than previous quarter, but above 2021. Most cost cuts on R&D are by firing the labeling team, which is no longer necessary due to advances in auto labeling software. It's a plus, not a con.

If you think Tesla is really going to fall, then put actions behind your words and short Tesla. Really. Then we talk in a couple of years.