Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,983 posts in this topic

On 31/05/2022, 15:49:11, MikeMelga said:

I did have many discrimination situations on my team. Religious, racial, xenophobe. Fortunately not sexual, although a few managers on my company only hire young beautiful women...

I think most workers are unaware of the reality in large companies. These situations are handled in private.

Sounds like in your company most of the problems come from management.

Religious,racial discrimination and xenophobia seems to be treated with the meh attitude but as long as it´s not sexual discrimination then it´s fine.

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Yep, covid really spoiled people. How many were doing home office before?

Are you being serious?

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I have mixed opinions regarding home office. I've seen people performing better, but in general it's not good in the long run. People lose team spirit, some just pretend to work, and people abuse calls after business hours.

Personally I think we should go back to at least 3 out of 5 days to office.

Another point is that if this home office thing keeps going for more than 5 years, there will be massive mental problems, either from lack of social interaction or creation of bad habits. The drinking cabinet is just too close...

In my company I also know our production department, including the engineers, are pissed that R&D can work from home and they can't.

I just love your attitude as a manager.

You sound very lucky that none of your employees has smacked you in the mouth by now.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

In my company I also know our production department, including the engineers, are pissed that R&D can work from home and they can't.

Because they´re wankers.

I`ve worked 40-60 hours a week throughout Covid and I couldn´t give a fuck that a lot of our office staff were doing Home Office while we were working our arses off.

It doesn´t affect us or our working conditions if another dept is not there but at home working.

18 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Unfortunately, a few bad apples who took advantage of working from home have spoiled it for others.

A lot of the problem is managers themselves.

They´ve got their nice position, in charge of a group of people and then suddenly these people are not there anymore and they start to worry that they actually do very little in the day to day running of things and without them the place runs just fine. Their ego takes a bit of a bruising and they start worrying about their job security so they start thinking that they need their people back working in the office.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

So how many of you are "working" right now? :o

I was waiting for that!

And like I said, if I was in the office sitting at a desk, I woulda been doing the same thing (checking Toytown, etc)

Nein danke': Musk's office ultimatum faces pushback in Germany

Looks like Musk is going to take on the German employment law ( this is not the US or China ), will be interesting to see who wins

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/nein-danke-musks-office-ultimatum-134453900.html

Apparently they do not like being ordered around by email 

BERLIN (Reuters) - Elon Musk’s demand that Tesla staff stop "phoning it in" and get back to the office got short shrift from Germany’s largest trade union on Thursday.

The Tesla chief executive waded into the future of work debate by telling staff at the electric carmaker that they must return to the office for at least 40 hours a week or leave the company, according to an email seen by Reuters.

The IG Metall union in the German state of Brandenburg Sachsen, where Tesla's plant is located, said it would support any employee who opposed Musk’s ultimatum. Tesla employs around 4,000 people in Germany and plans to expand the workforce to 12,000.

"Whoever does not agree with such one-sided demands and wants to stand against them has the power of unions behind them in Germany, as per law," Birgit Dietze, the district leader for IG Metall in Brandenburg Sachsen, said.

Employees at Tesla's plant in Gruenheide, Germany, elected 19 people to its first workers' council in February, setting the plant apart from others run by the carmaker in the United States and elsewhere without union representation, which Musk has fiercely resisted.

Musk, who has helped shift the traditional car sector to an all-electric future making himself the world’s richest man in the process, had blunt words for companies that didn’t require staff to be back in the office full-time.

"There are of course companies that don't require this, but when was the last time they shipped a great new product? It's been a while," Musk wrote in the email.

Tesla is a pure expression of one man and his successful vision.  He can prove that his decisions work on a scale rarely seen.  The fewer levels of management; the better and installing a caste system of work at home vs work at work adds no value to his vision.

If the job descriptions include "must work at office/plant", I see no reason for complaints...including unions (which don't have near the success track record).  Building cars is not proofreading manuscripts.  Some see the difference; others refuse to. 

20 hours ago, scook17 said:

Production = works with hands onsite. Many jobs require a physical presence. Just imagine the announcement 'I will by flying the plane from home today...'

Sure, R&D people can work from home, for there is little reason why they 'need' to be together, other than to brainstorm. We seem to have hadly any F2F meetings these days.

It's not so simple. Hardware and production-driven companies need R&D on site. My company is a HW company. The SW R&D department needs weekly presence in the office, to go to labs, production or simply to have moving hardware on the table next to you. Or program embedded platforms.

Or, in special cases like we have, IP protection requires us to be in special isolated rooms, because no information can get out!

I think people imagine R&D departments, especially SW, to be web development-like. It's not always like that. And definitely not at Tesla.

20 hours ago, fraufruit said:

So how many of you are "working" right now? :o

I spend 12h per day in front of the computer. Not all are "productive" :D

37 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

It's not so simple. Hardware and production-driven companies need R&D on site. My company is a HW company. The SW R&D department needs weekly presence in the office, to go to labs, production or simply to have moving hardware on the table next to you. Or program embedded platforms.

Or, in special cases like we have, IP protection requires us to be in special isolated rooms, because no information can get out!

I think people imagine R&D departments, especially SW, to be web development-like. It's not always like that. And definitely not at Tesla.

I manage the electrical engineering and control team at my company. I was there Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 9-10 hours/day mostly debugging hardware, Tuesday and today in homeoffice doing videocalls, analysing trials results and writing reports. There's no reason to be at Tesla everyday, car industry or not, besides Musk being slightly autistic and wanting everybody to have his works ethics. Small facts like work-life/family balance (he doesn't have any), or that 99.5% of his workers are never going to become multi-millionaires or bankrupt for that matter through their jobs and thus do not really have that added motivation to sleep on the office floor don't interest him. 

I actually met (in the sense of being in the same room) and heard speeches from the guy several times in 2009 - 2011 when SpaceX was still a fledging company, and Musk a regular presence at AIAA conferences. He's obviously inspirational and very driven, more still in person, but I still have no interest in working under him. It sounds very, very tiring and I have better things to do besides working.

58 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Blanket generalizations mostly suck.  I work in hardware R&D and yes, sometimes can be a challenge to do 100% home office, but a reasonable amount of home office is totally doable, we even have a one day a week home office policy otherwise we ge no new employees.  Ironically when we were forced to do home office by the government we had the best quarter in several years.   Most of this "In our company home office is not feasible" is mostly just in the managers' heads, and when you try to explain them things their excuse is always "You do not see the manager's point of view because you do not have the general view I have", as you yourself keep saying here.   It is easy to guess which manager is pro or against home office, just look at their managing style, most managers who practice micro-management hate home office, because they think they lose control.   Target oriented managers mostly do not care.

31 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Blanket generalizations mostly suck.  I work in hardware R&D and yes, sometimes can be a challenge to do 100% home office, but a reasonable amount of home office is totally doable, we even have a one day a week home office policy otherwise we ge no new employees.  Ironically when we were forced to do home office by the government we had the best quarter in several years.   Most of this "In our company home office is not feasible" is mostly just in the managers' heads, and when you try to explain them things their excuse is always "You do not see the manager's point of view because you do not have the general view I have", as you yourself keep saying here.   It is easy to guess which manager is pro or against home office, just look at their managing style, most managers who practice micro-management hate home office, because they think they lose control.   Target oriented managers mostly do not care.

Yep, though I'm against home office as a basic right- because I see some people abusing it at the moment, not in my team but in a couple projects I manage or am part of.  As long as someone is generally reachable during working hours (over skype/Laptop, not only phone) and reach the targets on a reasonable schedule I can't care less about his or her workplace or schedule - my team knows this and they're all good. But that's a privilege that must be  easy to revoke when someone repeatedly doesn't play along. We have this problem with a few idiots, unfortunately, and it pisses me off for many reasons.

Many true things said in the last posts.

However, if you work on final assemble in a Tesla factory, maybe fitting tyres or connecting up the dashboard wires etc etc , it very difficult to do any home office, you have to be at the factory to do these tasks. Ok maybe every so often you can watch some training video's, but thats about it. 

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Many true things said in the last posts.

However, if you work on final assemble in a Tesla factory, maybe fitting tyres or connecting up the dashboard wires etc etc , it very difficult to do any home office, you have to be at the factory to do these tasks. Ok maybe every so often you can watch some training video's, but thats about it. 

yeah, or if you are a policeman, or doctor, or plumber, or shop assistant. We are nothing but the sum of our life choices and there's nothing  wrong with that, but no reason to be jealous or intolerant of one another either.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

mike_tesla.jpg.4d0a5854c10da2c851251333f

MM is a massive Tesla fanboy but not so much a Musk fanboy, he is often critical of him especially when Musk harms Tesla.

Catjones is the Musk fanboy.

1 hour ago, mtbiking said:

Yep, though I'm against home office as a basic right- because I see some people abusing it at the moment, not in my team but in a couple projects I manage or am part of.  As long as someone is generally reachable during working hours (over skype/Laptop, not only phone) and reach the targets on a reasonable schedule I can't care less about his or her workplace or schedule - my team knows this and they're all good. But that's a privilege that must be  easy to revoke when someone repeatedly doesn't play along. We have this problem with a few idiots, unfortunately, and it pisses me off for many reasons.

While I am with you, I don't see much difference between the guy procrastinating at home and the guy procrastinating at his desk in the office.    Both are wrong and the problem should be addressed.    Blaming home office itself for those problems make little sense to me.

P.S., Depending on what I am doing, I could be much more efficient at home for certain tasks, but for other other ones it makes more sense to do them at my workplace   And the infrastructure plays a role here as well, we've of course progressed a lot on this because of Covid but there are still plenty of things that could be improved.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Both are wrong and the problem should be addressed. 

But they won´t be because it seems the vast majority of managers would rather have everybody back in the office rather than look at themselves and see what they´re doing wrong.

I also believe most bosses (those who don´t actually manage day to day personnel) actually don´t care if HO or not as long as the work is done.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

While I am with you, I don't see much difference between the guy procrastinating at home and the guy procrastinating at his desk in the office.    Both are wrong and the problem should be addressed.    Blaming home office itself for those problems make little sense to me.

In the office he can be reached with 100% certainty, that's the big difference. 

28 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

In the office he can be reached with 100% certainty, that's the big difference. 

Then address the availability problems of such employee abusing home office, do not make it a blanket generalization.   There are as well the employees working 100% in the office that are almost never there because they are always sick and you can't make a plan counting on them,   You won't make a generalization about that including the people who are never sick, would you?