Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

3,081 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

The poor working conditions is very old news that in the past 4 years improved dramatically. There have been many articles pointing exactly on the opposite direction.

The racial discrimination... well, i don't know enough about it, but what I've read so far are a few isolated cases, and nothing out of the ordinary for such a large company.

Always white knighting Tesla.  Even here in Berlin they are already (in) famous for having preferences for good looking blondes when hiring women.

16 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

and nothing out of the ordinary for such a large company.

Therein lies the problem. Those practices are deemed "ordinary".

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Therein lies the problem. Those practices are deemed "ordinary".

Sure they are!

I manage around 20 people across different teams, all with higher education and even some with PHD.

Iin the past 8 years you can't imagine the amount of discrimination, racism, physical assaults, alcoholics coming in drunk and many others!

If I had all those problems with 20 positions, with well educated people, then this is "ordinary"!

I've fired around 5 people for lack of competence, but close to 10 because of disciplinary issues! People are shit to each other, that's the "ordinary"!

14 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Sure they are!

I manage around 20 people across different teams, all with higher education and even some with PHD.

Iin the past 8 years you can't imagine the amount of discrimination, racism, physical assaults, alcoholics coming in drunk and many others!

If I had all those problems with 20 positions, with well educated people, then this is "ordinary"!

I've fired around 5 people for lack of competence, but close to 10 because of disciplinary issues! People are shit to each other, that's the "ordinary"!

Your company should attract the worst people then.  Because that has not been my experience here at all.  

I thought we were talking about hiring practices, discrimination and unfair working conditions. Not assholes who work.

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Your company should attract the worst people then.  Because that has not been my experience here at all.  

Lucky you, perhaps you don't see the issues. Are you a manager? I'm pretty sure my team members don't realize 10% of the shit around them.

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I thought we were talking about hiring practices, discrimination and unfair working conditions. Not assholes who work.

I did have many discrimination situations on my team. Religious, racial, xenophobe. Fortunately not sexual, although a few managers on my company only hire young beautiful women...

I think most workers are unaware of the reality in large companies. These situations are handled in private.

ok, you asked the question why Tesla was kicked out of ESG 

I just gave you what I had read on the internet, which maybe BS. But this ESG thing, is considering other issues not only environment, indeed it covers   racism and general guidance.

Sure you a free to disagree, with this website, but they do offer some reasons why Tesla failed to make their grade, like it or not.

For myself I just do not know the amount of racism and general guidance issues are really in Tesla 

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Sure they are!

Don’t you do the hiring as well? I work in a large IT company in a consultancy department with 25 colleagues, but I never heard somebody was fired for disciplinary reasons. No drunk people either. We go to customers with a daily rate in the 4-digits, so we must always have a professional mindset. I guess I‘m lucky then to work in such environment.

yep, Mikes company just sounds to be full of drunks and generally bad people, very strange in this day and age. In the 90's it was a bit more common

15 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Don’t you do the hiring as well? I work in a large IT company in a consultancy department with 25 colleagues, but I never heard somebody was fired for disciplinary reasons.

No drunk people either. We go to customers with a daily rate in the 4-digits, so we must always have a professional mindset. I guess I‘m lucky then to work in such environment.

The drunk guy was an alcoholic. We did notice him sweating during the interview, but we thought he was just nervous. I don't even mind if he were a functional alcoholic. Problem is, in the first 5 days, he only arrived on time once. Most of the days he would arrive up to 4h late. Then during the day he would have episodes of withdrawal and "disappear". He lasted a week.

I'll give you another example of people's problems going unnoticed in an interview. We interviewed a very calm >55 years old developer. We even called him "yoga-man", as he was always "promoting" yoga and saying we should be happy and so. After more than half a year, another very calm guy joined the company. Somehow, when the 2 were paired up for a large work package, they collided and started insulting each other to the point yoga-man was let go. As far as we know, the disagreement started on technical grounds, and whoever worked with hardcore C++ developers know they have huge egos.

Another situation happened when an employee which was with us for 20 years descended into deep sociopathic and paranoid behavior. He quit before being fired. At some point other team members would refuse to be in the same room as he was, as he was having talks about carrying his guns to work and that the government was after him.

Unless you are a manager, you will not notice the vast majority of these issues. And most firing for disciplinary reasons are not presented like that. Management will just say they guy left by "mutual agreement" (which is true, with a compensation package) so you don't see the case.

I remember a case in another department (non-SW). A women was fired, she punched her boss in the face when he fired her, but management in that case said it was "mutual agreement". I only know this because this fact was discussed at management level.

Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I hear lots of horror stories from other managements in their previous firms.

May be we are drifting too much away from the topic relevant for the thread. Lets bring it back :)

I got an email from Tesla about model Y produced in Berlin and I can exchange current model 3 with model Y.

I bought model 3 in Aug 2021 and when I select Teslsa Trade in, it offer an estimate of €41,400.

Is there any significant advantage of Model Y over model 3 apart from more space?

I think, practically model Y might have less range than model 3 and it also has no Heads up display. So in terms of driving experience it would we exactly similar with more space and little less range. On top, I still have to check what are the waiting times if I do go for trade-in and can I still apply for Umweltbonus again, may be on my wife's name 

22 hours ago, yesterday said:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-wrong-about-esg-133447951.html

"It's important to remember that ESG has three letters in it, not just one," Nadig said. "

Nadig explained that the "social part has to do with how you're treating your employees, and the governance part often has to do with how well you're managing your company

So we clearly need just an 'E' index if we want to measure environmental impact. Clearly the measure has been crafted by introducing other elements to include companies which should not be there, which includes every oil company and many others who pollute the world. Value of ESG = zero therefore in selecting green companies. If oil companies are included, it's questionable if its value is even Green + Ethical companies, as it seems its an OR rather than an AND relationship.

1 hour ago, DanglingPointer said:

I think, practically model Y might have less range than model 3 and it also has no Heads up display. So in terms of driving experience it would we exactly similar with more space and little less range.

Sounds like a downgrade to me.

2 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

Is there any significant advantage of Model Y over model 3 apart from more space?

More space, easier to get in/out and higher towing capability.

All the rest is better with the Model 3, especially range, efficiency and driving experience.

1 hour ago, scook17 said:

So we clearly need just an 'E' index if we want to measure environmental impact. Clearly the measure has been crafted by introducing other elements to include companies which should not be there, which includes every oil company and many others who pollute the world. Value of ESG = zero therefore in selecting green companies. If oil companies are included, it's questionable if its value is even Green + Ethical companies, as it seems its an OR rather than an AND relationship.

Problem is, ESG funds are being marketed as "good" and they clearly market the "green" component above the rest. So millions of private individuals bet directly or indirectly in these funds. In the end, oil industry keeps getting money, so these index and associated funds are just channeling good intentioned investment againt to the assholes.

2 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

I bought model 3 in Aug 2021 and when I select Teslsa Trade in, it offer an estimate of €41,400.

Is this a SR+  or a AWD? If AWD, think you can get much better offer on the market. It's probably worth 45-48k€, especially because you can't get a new one within 1 year.