Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,950 posts in this topic

On 9.4.2022, 11:07:00, fraufruit said:

So far, I have not seen any pimped Teslas.

That's because in Europe most Teslas are company owned.

On 08/04/2022, 22:04:47, DanglingPointer said:

Did anyone apply Film/Tint to Model 3 rear windows and rear glass? Does it help in summer?

Any recommendation in Munich?

I don't think it's necessary, even when I was in Croatia.  Once the A/C is on it's pleasant within a few minutes.  Or like MM said, you whip your phone out and turn on the A/C 5 minutes before you climb into the car.

Tesla profits soar as customers pay more

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61170691

Tesla has been raising prices - but that hasn't seemed to dent demand for its electric cars.

Despite the firm facing higher costs, profits at Elon Musk's electric car company soared to $3.3bn (£2.5bn) in the first three months of the year, as customers proved willing to pay more.

The firm's deliveries were up 68% - and would have been higher if not for supply chain shortages, the firm said.

Seems like pretty good news to me

Yeah, there is a bump on the road due to the month long Shangai stoppage due to Covid. But on the long run, it's growing very fast.

For me the big news is they are already working on the robotaxi special vehicle. This means one thing: they are now sure that FSD will work, and will be pretty soon.

Last chance to buy cheap tesla stock before it becomes the largest company in the world.

Tesla is now 18٪  cheaper than when MM made the last comment 😄

"Tesla says it will turn Shanghai into ‘the world’s largest vehicle export hub’ with new factory"

Tesla says it will turn Shanghai into “the world’s largest vehicle export hub” with a new factory capable of producing 450,000 electric vehicles per year, next to the existing plant.

In a letter that Tesla sent to authorities on May 1 and obtained by Reuters, the automaker thanks local authorities in Shanghai’s Lingang Special Area for their help in transporting more than 6,000 workers and doing disinfection work to reopen Gigafactory Shanghai.

---

Tesla mentioned in the letter the new factory that they are building next to Gigafactory Shanghai and confirmed that they plan to build Model 3 and Model Y vehicles there. According to the letter,

"The company will build a new plant on nearby land in the same area, which is poised to add an annual capacity of 450,000 cars, including Model 3s and Model Ys, becoming “the world’s largest vehicle export hub."

https://electrek.co/2022/05/03/tesla-turn-shanghai-into-worlds-largest-vehicle-export-hub-factory/

Seems Tesla is going for an unortodox plan to continuously increase a factory size, instead of building a new one in another city. I think this is only possible because  of increased level of automation. Otherwise they would run out of specialized workers in each area.

I've heard reports that Shanghai, Texas and Fremont will eventually grow up to 2 million cars per year each (!). Giga Berlin will probably remain smaller due to regulations, so it's still possible a second european factory opens.

AFAIK, Fremont is already running at around 700.000 cars per year.

Despite the 1 month lockdown in Shangai, it seems likely that Tesla reaches 1.6-1.7M cars this year, and 2.5 to 2.7M next year.

That would make Tesla into top 5 biggest auto by revenue and top 10 by cars sold.

How are they going to ship all of those cars out of China given the current shipping shortage and high prices?

56 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

How are they going to ship all of those cars out of China given the current shipping shortage and high prices?

23 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I would have thought China is big enough to take all that production and some more...

Yeah, now that Europe has a factory, they will keep more Model Y for the chinese market.

Unfortunately Giga Berlin won't be making Model 3 so soon, so they will keep coming from Fremond (performance) and China (LR, SR).

In any case, transport cost of a car is around $1000, even if it increases 50%, it's not a deal breaker.

"Tesla Sources the Bulk of Its Raw Materials Directly From the Mines"

The carmakers want to go electric all at once and this started creating problems. Raw materials like lithium, nickel, and cobalt became harder to source, which led to surging prices. Right now, every car maker is engaged in a battle to secure a steady supply of minerals needed to build batteries. Tesla is well ahead of others and in the past, we’ve heard Elon Musk promising to go to the mine to secure the precious minerals. According to the 2021 Impact Report, Tesla did just that.

Tesla indeed uses a lot of raw materials that it sources directly from the mines. This was revealed thanks to Tesla’s 2021 Impact Report published last week. According to this, Tesla sources more than 95% of lithium hydroxide, 50% of cobalt, and 30% of nickel directly from the mines. Moreover, Tesla is well aware of the social and environmental implications associated with mining.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-sources-the-bulk-of-its-raw-materials-directly-from-the-mines-188620.html

11 hours ago, yesterday said:

Has the magic money machine finally started to find its real value. 

They are not alone. We are heading into a bear market. This, too, shall pass.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

They are not alone. We are heading into a bear market. This, too, shall pass.

Agreed, I am down a lot too on some stock, just not down 35% on any stock. Mind you Tesla has gone up so much in the last 3 years, that any of my investments would never have done. 

Sorry mobile phone playing for text below

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

They are not alone. We are heading into a bear market. 

On 5/12/2022, 1:38:07, yesterday said:

Time to buy or sell, that's the question

There's a million reasons why a stock is bought/sold in a given day, just look at the volume.  It's always time to buy/sell.

My thinking is that if I bought at a given price and thought it was a "good" price, if nothing substantially changed in the company and the price was even lower, why wouldn't I buy?  aka I bought yesterday @  723.9404 .

On 5/12/2022, 1:38:07, yesterday said:

Has the magic money machine finally started to find its real value

You can watch the ticker and see the "real" value of any company traded at any time.  If you think TSLA's real value is, let's say $100, then you can wait until it reaches that price and then buy.  It's a free market.  See "opportunity cost"

15 hours ago, catjones said:

There's a million reasons why a stock is bought/sold in a given day, just look at the volume.  It's always time to buy/sell.

My thinking is that if I bought at a given price and thought it was a "good" price, if nothing substantially changed in the company and the price was even lower, why wouldn't I buy?  aka I bought yesterday @  723.9404 .

I can general go along with that idea, the market is generally lower at the moment, then if it recovers, Tesla should recover as well. I juest have the fear that I have never seen a situation like this before, inflation rising fast, interest rates in some countries rising and an almost record high, all this means and is predicted to be a recession, coupled with the problems caused by the Ukraine war ( food production etc ). That looks black to me and maybe the market will react downwards. Like you say you pays the money and takes the risk. Still Stocks seem in a better position than Crypto :). By the way I wish you and Mike etc luck in your investments.

15 hours ago, catjones said:

You can watch the ticker and see the "real" value of any company traded at any time.  If you think TSLA's real value is, let's say $100, then you can wait until it reaches that price and then buy.  It's a free market.  See "opportunity cost"

The ticker in one thing to monitor of a company, but there are many others