Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,950 posts in this topic

Yes. Depending on city charging alone doesn't seem the best option in the long run and this was bound to happen.

I have written to my landlord couple of times about installing a charger in our parking, but she just ignores the email all the time. For all other emails she answers quickly.

I live in the east of Munich near Trudering and hence all the superchargers are a bit far. At least now I will try to consume my 500 km supercharger miles before expiry. Olympia Einkauf and Pasing has fast charging. The other three has 14kw or 22kw connections.

In future, I expect our work place to install something for employees. Right now they just allow it for office cars or to c-levels.

10 minutes ago, DanglingPointer said:

I live in the east of Munich near Trudering and hence all the superchargers are a bit far. At least now I will try to consume my 500 km supercharger miles before expiry. Olympia Einkauf and Pasing has fast charging. The other three has 14kw or 22kw connections.

Why not Vaterstetten Supercharger? Should be 5-10 minutes from your house.

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=48.432977903548675%2C12.380429491210924%2C47.858458343381166%2C11.200772508789049&zoom=11&filters=store%2Cservice%2Csupercharger%2Cbodyshop%2Cparty&location=vaterstettensupercharger_dcsc

Just now, DanglingPointer said:

@CincyInDE Can you use ADAC to charge at SWM also? Do I need to become ADAC member to use it?

Yes, that's what I use. I am a member already, and so should you :D It's really helpful, can't praise it enough.

Yeah, I know the benefits and I think my wife had the membership for a couple of years when she got new DL. Later on we cancelled as we thought that its not required for new car and on top Insurance also provides the breakdown cover and some other roadside assistance. May be, for the warranty period Tesla also provides assistance in case of emergency.

The best of ADAC, but you need the Plus plan, is the protection for traveling on holidays, if you have any problem they will tow your car back home or to a garage nearby and they will provide you a replacement car for a week.  It has happened to us and at least the holidays are not totally wrecked.   And they are one of the two companies with good customer service in Germany, the other one is Amazon.

Happened to me as well. ADAC paid for, phone calls, tow of the car back to Munich from Italy, hotel and an evening meal + plus a hire car for 2 days.

Ok, I keep my subscription running each year, over the 30+ years I probably paid more to them than the benefits I have had from them, its just peace of mind that when I am in a foreign country, I can call somebody and they will come and help.

14 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

Can you use ADAC to charge at SWM also? Do I need to become ADAC member to use it?

You can get the same plan (charging costs) as ADAC if you are an EnBW customer. 

I will look at JUCR and badenova when SWM's new prices come into effect. 

In its annual Top Picks, Consumer Reports highlights the standout cars, SUVs, and trucks across in 10 distinct categories. Tesla has dominated the electric vehicle category, with the Model 3 holding the EV Top Pick honor for the past two years. But now the Ford Mustang Mach-E has earned the accolade based on its Overall Score, which factors road-test score, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction, and safety.

The Mach-E crossover is wrapped in Mustang heritage and executed with the detail associated with a century-old automaker. We took instant notice, and so did car buyers. As a result, the Mustang Mach-E effectively bumped Tesla from the 10 Top Picks list this year.

Make no mistake, the Model 3 is still a great choice, and Consumer Reports recommends it. It shines with the latest technology, a long range, an impressive charging network, and a driving experience closer to a high-performance sports car than a sedan. But the Mustang Mach-E is also very sporty, plus it’s more practical and easier to live with. The Ford is also quieter and rides better. Both cars have large infotainment center screens, but the Mach-E’s is far easier to operate and doesn’t require multiple steps to activate routine features, such as using the defroster or adjusting the mirrors, as with the Tesla. Also, the Mach-E has an edge when it comes to reliability, according to first-year results in our Annual Auto Surveys of CR members.

here

I have no idea if the Mach 3 is available in Europe.

On 2/17/2022, 12:20:43, fraufruit said:

here

Like many (all) new products with high demand, the EV market will be a non-stop horse race with positions constantly and unexpectedly changing.  Every company is governed by R&D and Marketing.  The engineers see possibilities, marketing sees demand.  Matching those two is very difficult given auto lead times.  If it takes 2-5 years to introduce a feature, what will consumers want in 2026?  Can it even be done?  If a competitor offers a feature that becomes commonplace, how does your company offer a similar feature without patent infringement?

On 2/17/2022, 8:20:43, fraufruit said:

here

Coincidentally I saw a Mach E yesterday parked on a residential street in Berlin. Current delivery time for new orders is supposedly 28 weeks.

Uh oh. Germany ain't China.

Tesla has hit another roadblock in its efforts to get its long-delayed Germany factory up and running.

A court in Frankfurt confirmed Wednesday (February 23) it will hear a complaint on March 4 filed by environmental groups about water supply to the facility.

Activists fear the plant's effects on local drinking water, saying it would use as much as a 30,000-person town a year.

They argue the Brandenburg environmental ministry did not carry out sufficient checks before granting a license for Tesla to operate.

If the groups win, Tesla would have to find a new water supplier.

Negotiations would have to start from scratch, with no guarantee of finding an answer.

The court said a decision was expected on the day of the hearing.

Tesla declined to comment on the case.

CEO Elon Musk had hoped to have the plant running six months ago.

It is key for Tesla's ambitions to conquer the European market, and Musk has repeatedly expressed irritation over what he sees as unnecessary German bureaucracy.

Rival Volkswagen is currently the biggest electric vehicle seller in the region, well ahead of Tesla.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Uh oh. Germany ain't China.

Another important reason for non-german companies to seriously consider moving facilities here.

don't complain about unemployment and low paying jobs or the East being abandoned.

Germany, great decision, keep giving China and Russia money!

So basically these pseudo-green groups with links to ICE manufactureres can keep suing everywhere and postponing opening forever?

Have you heard about this, Mike?

Tesla Inc plans to start work on a new plant in Shanghai as soon as next month as part of a plan to more than double production capacity in China to meet growing demand for its cars in the country and export markets, two people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Once the new plant is fully operational, Tesla will have the capacity to produce up to 2 million cars per year at its expanded Shanghai facility, the company's main export hub, according to the people, who asked not to be identified in discussing still-private plans.

The new plant will be located in the vicinity of its existing production base in Lingang, Pudong New Area.

Tesla declined to comment.

Yes, there have been many discussions in the "fanboy" community about Tesla's factories future. The initial idea we had was Tesla would do many 500k cars factories in different continents. So everyone was expecting many more announcements, for example 2 more in Europe, etc... Overall around 20 factories starting to be build in the next few years.

But what we started seeing half a year ago is that Tesla is betting on expanding existing factories to 1-2 million cars each. The idea is that they are improving efficiency dramatically, so they can reuse the same space and people for higher throughput.

Example: by converting lines to Gigapress, the amount of robots on the entire factory is reduced by 2/3. And the required space is reduced by around 80%.

Example: by switching to dry cathodes and other 4680 battery technologies, they can reduce department size by 90%.

So with some small expansion of size, they can quadruple output.

This works great for China and Texas, as they have space and regulations are not tight, but might not work for Berlin.

At 2M per factory, this means they only need 5-10 factories. These are probably 3 in US, 2-3 in Europe and 3 in China.

One note: Fremond will probably be stuck at 1M. Berlin perhaps the same.

I guess the question is what will happen in China after they attack Taiwan and get sanctioned to death. I don't believe I would put another factory there.

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I guess the question is what will happen in China after they attack Taiwan and get sanctioned to death. I don't believe I would put another factory there.

If China is building Teslas for domestic market, sanctions may not be as big an issue.  As with all sanctions, they either don't last long or people find a way around them.

Whoever puts sanctions on China would probably hurt  themselves as much or more than China (eg. USA).