Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,950 posts in this topic

Yes. I also didn't travel much this year because of corona and other factors. Just got a reply from Tesla as well :)

I hope you are having fun with your car.

Sadly these are not extendable and also tesla cancelled the Referrals. So this offer doesn´t exist anymore.

Well, it stimulates EV adoption and if you don't do it, someone else will, either energy suppliers or government in way of taxes.

This is very interesting, I would definitely be interested in people's opinion on this.

On another note-

Tesla Inc is recalling 26,681 vehicles in the United States because a software error may result in windshield defrosting problems, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said Wednesday.

here

On 08/02/2022, 21:00:20, circuits said:

Anybody have any thoughts about THG (Treibhausgasminderungsquote) CO2 credits that EV owners can sell for up to 350/year?

I didn't know about this...what happens if you don't sell? Could you exchange them against your carbon tax bill?

PSA-

I have been wondering and just did a search. Airbnb now has EV charger in their filters for searching for accommodation page. 

They don't mention what kind of charger but the people may include it on their ad. If not, you can call them and ask.

I'm guessing that hotels and such will soon follow if they haven't done already.

Hotels have been installing Tesla chargers for years. But my guess is they might work with other EVs. 2 years ago I drove down to Italy and specifically chose a hotel with it.

Charging is free, so it saved me around 40€ in charging!

Himself found out today that we can install a normal 220 outlet in our garage space that will be connected to our own electricity so that the usage will be on our regular bill. No muss. No fuss. Of course we will pay for the installation.

Chuffed!

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

PSA-

I have been wondering and just did a search. Airbnb now has EV charger in their filters for searching for accommodation page. 

They don't mention what kind of charger but the people may include it on their ad. If not, you can call them and ask.

I'm guessing that hotels and such will soon follow if they haven't done already.

Booking.com has had that for a while but unfortunately, it doesn't always mean the property has charging, and there is no mechanism to complain about false descriptions.  At least none that I had the patience to find. 

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Himself found out today that we can install a normal 220 outlet in our garage space that will be connected to our own electricity so that the usage will be on our regular bill. No muss. No fuss. Of course we will pay for the installation.

Chuffed!

Depending on what Hyundai (you're getting the Ioniq, right?) delivers as far as charging equipment, you should avoid using Schuko outlets for car charging.  They are not spec'd for continuous usage.  A 16-amp single-phase CEE blue plug is the correct outlet for the job. 

ceeBlue.png.4f457261bbd111bd89d4a486dfd9

Thanks. I will pass that along to my people.

There is a BMV EV in our garage that simply plugs into a normal household outlet. That is what we are looking for. No fast-charging, of course, but we don't use our car every day.

(Those look like the plugs we use for our sailboat when connecting to land power)

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Thanks. I will pass that along to my people.

There is a BMV EV in our garage that simply plugs into a normal household outlet. That is what we are looking for. No fast-charging, of course, but we don't use our car every day.

(Those look like the plugs we use for our sailboat when connecting to land power)

Yes, blue CEE plugs are often used in marine applications.  The blue plug delivers the same power as a regular German household outlet (Schuko), but it can do so at full power indefinitely, and it won't melt like this one: 

Schuko geschmolzen.JPG  

This is (was) an official Tesla Schuko adapter, BTW. 

Himself says that we can select the current that goes into the car on the brick. We will be fine with 10 amps.

Looks like that Tesla didn't have a fuse.

45 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Himself says that we can select the current that goes into the car on the brick. We will be fine with 10 amps.

Looks like that Tesla didn't have a fuse.

Something certainly went wrong in that pic. 

I can also choose the amperage that the car draws via the screen in the car or the app.  I'd still rather have something a bit more heavy-duty. 

If we had our own house and own garage, we would install a much more powerful charger. We don't. We are just now pinching ourselves that our HVW will allow us to put an electric outlet by our car. I believe it is the same that Mike Melga has at home. Enough.

Charging infrastructure still sucks in Munich as far as maintenance is concerned. There is one SWM charger on back side of Riem Arcaded which is broken since last 3-4 months and nobody has fixed it. Similarly, there is a Charging port at Aldi on Truderinger Straße broken for a long time, but no one fixes it.

On top, sometimes people park normal cars on EV charging places and just block a place. This is a real sucker for me.

Regarding Charging Infrastructure:

I live in a rental apartment and have underground parking, but no socket. I have written to my landlord couple of times, if I can set up a charging station in the underground parking, but she never replies to such emails.

I am not sure if there is a way to set up a socket for charging which can be billed to my account? Is that possible, if I am ready to pay installation charges? The problem is that I live in say house 120 and my parking is under house 120a. My electricity meter is in No. 120. So I am not sure, even if they install a charging setup in my parking how they will bill it to my electricity meter.

For now I am dependent on SWM public charging, which is 800 meters away. So not so bad, but still requires some effort.

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

If we had our own house and own garage, we would install a much more powerful charger. We don't. We are just now pinching ourselves that our HVW will allow us to put an electric outlet by our car. I believe it is the same that Mike Melga has at home. Enough.

I just use the super simple charger that comes with the car. I lower max amps from 16 to 12A, because above that I see too many voltage drop, meaning the line till my garage is not thick enough and some power is being lost.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/corded-mobile-connector

On long trips I carry it with me, just in case I don't find anything else than a house plug. Never happened, but it's also easy to pack.

This thread is mostly Tesla related so here's a more general one dedicated to all EV's:

6 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

Regarding Charging Infrastructure:

I live in a rental apartment and have underground parking, but no socket. I have written to my landlord couple of times, if I can set up a charging station in the underground parking, but she never replies to such emails.

Apparently due to recent laws, landlords generally have to abide by renter's requests to install a power box for an EV. I would send your landlord a request:

With the entry into force of the Residential Property Modernization Act (WEMoG) on December 1, 2020, rental law was also revised. Since then, the landlord can no longer generally refuse a tenant's request to install a charging device on a parking space in the underground garage or on the premises of the rented building. The situation only becomes difficult if the landlord has special reasons for refusing, for example, monument protection.

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/wallbox-infos-fuer-mieter-eigentuemer-hausbesitzer-wohnung-18787913.html

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/elektromobilitaet/laden/lademoeglichkeiten-mehrfamilienhaeusern/

https://www.bmj.de/SharedDocs/Gesetzgebungsverfahren/DE/WEMoG.html

Received an email from SWM today and charging prices are going to increase from  0,38 €/kWh to  0,49 €/kWh (AC) and  0,69 €/kWh (DC)

This is really crap considering the already high energy costs in Germany and a bit of poor charging Infrastructure.

This will increase the cost significantly for people like me, who are totally dependent on public charging network. I am not sure what are the other options.

Also, why I said poor charging Infrastructure is because of the maintenance. I see a lot of charging places which broke down have not been repaired since months. There is an SWM charging point on the back side of Riem Arcarden which is not working for so many months. 

There is a free charging station in Aldi on Truderiger Str. which is also not working for so many months. 

Nobody cares to repair these. Some SWM charging places are sometimes occupied by Non EV Cars. This is also frustrating at times.

When I bought Tesla in August, I had this thought in mind that when everyone will switch to EVs the providers will increase the electricity prices. I don't know why the govt in Germany is so incapable to control the prices, whether its housing or electricity :D

I wish government would mandate companies with car parks to install chargers for workers.

Personally I don't believe city public charging has a future. I think it should be done at supermarkets, at home (when possible) and at work.

At 49c, it's cheaper to go charge once per week on a supercharger, Munich has now 5 of them.

I think it's a mixture between fast rising energy prices all over the world, and companies shifting to monetizing their network.

Somehow I'm still paying 29c at home... concerned of when it rises, as I'm consuming almost 7000kWh per year.