Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,965 posts in this topic

A friend of mine had a ford capri in the late 70's early 80's. The left foot could be used to press a lever that pushed water onto the windscreen

6 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Why would I hit both pedals at the same time, particularly if left foot braking in an automatic were taught?

in a braking emergency, your right foot would already be on the accelerator.  Your left foot would move to the brake pedal and you would stomp it to the floor.  Without thinking, your right foot would also brace for impact and accelerate.  If you used only your right foot, you would either be braking or accelerating, but not both.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

When I learned to drive it was an automatic. Rule #1 - left foot stays on floor. You never press any pedal with it. It is an ingrained habit that I've never broken.

I can also drive manual but only if I have to. I don't like it.

After originally learning on an automatic it was a chore for me to learn to drive a stick shift in my early 20s.  But once I mastered it I was hooked.  I felt that I was more attentive while driving, and I wish that I had learned on a stick shift to begin with.  I do think the current automatics are much better though than previously.

1 hour ago, catjones said:

in a braking emergency, your right foot would already be on the accelerator.  Your left foot would move to the brake pedal and you would stomp it to the floor.  Without thinking, your right foot would also brace for impact and accelerate.  If you used only your right foot, you would either be braking or accelerating, but not both.

Crap, I have had a couple of emergency stops in an automatic and never floored the accelerator, indeed on one occasion I ended up with both feet on the brake pedal and the resulting very hard braking I'm sure stopped a collision.

Since this is the Tesla thread, if you do push both pedals on the Tesla, it will detect, warn and ignore the accelerator, i.e. it will break.

Another feature is it will severely limit the acceleration if it detects an obstacle ahead.

And of course, it will also automatically break if it senses an imminent crash, as long as you don't override it.

Be aware that some of these features are not enabled by default and that some people disable them completely.

I ended up disabling lane assist (if the car detects you are leaving your lane without signaling, the car will steer you back into your lane).

Great in theory, but construction zones are a nightmare, as the car can try to steer you into barriers when it gets confused.

Yep - I thought ours had a steering problem because I was fighting with it and then realised and disabled it. Prefer being in control myself. Don't use predictive texting for the same reason.

@MikeMelga brake is when the car slows down

Break is when you bust it.

I was struggling a bit with why Tesla has an automatic self destruct if you press the pedals. Unfortunate feature for a car :lol:

I know it's heresy in this thread, but I'm keeping my eyes out for the 2023 VW ID.3, so only after the first major facelift when VW will supposedly address the interior finish and panel gap issues.

Why? I really enjoy the assisted driving package on the recent Audi A4; an ID.3 Pro with the equivalent stop-go traffic assist, automatic cruise control, travel assist, traffic sign recognition, etc. costs about 30k after the rebate.

If you add similar upgrades to a Model 3, it costs at least 50% more. As such it's outside of my budget, not to mention too large.

VW software has apparently been improving, albeit slowly but surely and so I'm curious what it will be like when I do a test drive in a year.

3 hours ago, circuits said:

VW software has apparently been improving, albeit slowly but surely and so I'm curious what it will be like when I do a test drive in a year.

A friend of mine has an id.3 and yes, he is happy with the OTA updates that have been coming. 

Make a plan early (not this early, though) on how you are going to charge the car.  By 2023 the situation should be greatly improved, but it remains to be seen...

4 hours ago, circuits said:

I know it's heresy in this thread, but I'm keeping my eyes out for the 2023 VW ID.3,

Why? I really enjoy the assisted driving package on the recent Audi A4; an ID.3 Pro with the equivalent stop-go traffic assist, automatic cruise control, travel assist, traffic sign recognition, etc. costs about 30k after the rebate.

If you add similar upgrades to a Model 3, it costs at least 50% more.

How? The standard Model 3 comes with all that. Costs around 36k? after rebate.

As such it's outside of my budget, not to mention too large.

100% agree. A smaller Model 3 hatchback would be much better for Eruope.

I sure hope so, the current reports is that the iD3/4 have shitty software. My brother is waiting for his iD4 and I will try it out when it comes.

The Tesla equivalent of the ID.3 "Assistenzpaket Plus" is somewhat closer to the Enhanced Autopilot package which costs €3.800 (see Note 2 below).

The ID.3 Pro with a 58 KWh battery and above package is €28.500 after the rebate.

A Model 3 with Enhanced Autopilot is currently €40.990. So to be precise that's 44% more than the ID.3.

That said, what the cheapest Model 3 comes with for that price puts it in a higher class though, no question.

Note 1: the Model 3 is €48.490 before the rebate - however EV's with a base model over 40k only get a €7.500 rebate. Although Tesla claims every Model 3 qualifies for a €9.000 rebate, not everybody is getting the "full" rebate because Tesla doesn't actually sell a Model 3 for that price: https://teslamag.de/news/tesla-hinweis-ohne-garantie-9000-euro-umweltbonus-jede-variante-model-3-29138

Note 2: this is what the ID.3's driver assist package comes with:

Assistenzpaket "Plus" inkl. "IQ.DRIVE" mit "Travel Assist"

— Außenspiegel elektrisch einstell-, anklapp- und beheizbar, mit Beifahrerspiegelabsenkung
— Automatische Distanzregelung ACC "stop & go", mit Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzer
— Diebstahlwarnanlage mit Innenraumüberwachung, Back-up-Horn und Abschleppschutz
— Fahrassistent "Travel Assist", Spurhalteassistent "Lane Assist" und "Emergency Assist"
— Memory-Funktion für Parkassistent "Park Assist Plus"
— Multifunktionslenkrad in Leder, mit Touch-Bedienung
— Parkassistent "Park Assist Plus" inkl. Einparkhilfe
— Proaktives Insassenschutzsystem in Verbindung mit "Front Assist"
— Schlüsselloses Schließ- und Startsystem "Keyless Access", mit Safe-Sicherung
— Spurwechselassistent "Side Assist"
— Türgriffmulden beleuchtet
— Umfeldbeleuchtung mit Logoprojektion
— Umgebungsansicht "Area View" inkl. Rückfahrkamera "Rear View"

On 12/19/2021, 3:43:51, circuits said:

The Tesla equivalent of the ID.3 "Assistenzpaket Plus" is somewhat closer to the Enhanced Autopilot package which costs €3.800 (see Note 2 below).

The ID.3 Pro with a 58 KWh battery and above package is €28.500 after the rebate.

A Model 3 with Enhanced Autopilot is currently €40.990. So to be precise that's 44% more than the ID.3.

That said, what the cheapest Model 3 comes with for that price puts it in a higher class though, no question.

Note 1: the Model 3 is €48.490 before the rebate - however EV's with a base model over 40k only get a €7.500 rebate. Although Tesla claims every Model 3 qualifies for a €9.000 rebate, not everybody is getting the "full" rebate because Tesla doesn't actually sell a Model 3 for that price: https://teslamag.de/news/tesla-hinweis-ohne-garantie-9000-euro-umweltbonus-jede-variante-model-3-29138

Note 2: this is what the ID.3's driver assist package comes with:

For whats its worth 

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/12/21/down-24-is-tesla-stock-a-smart-buy-right-now/?source=eptyholnk0000202&utm_source=yahoo-host&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article

On 12/18/2021, 3:28:42, CincyInDE said:

I ended up disabling lane assist (if the car detects you are leaving your lane without signaling, the car will steer you back into your lane).

Great in theory, but construction zones are a nightmare, as the car can try to steer you into barriers when it gets confused.

that weird that Tesla is not detecting the yellow marking on the tarmac like Mercedes does. As soon I enter in the construction zone, the car recognizes the yellow lines for temporary lanes and don't push me around...

In Finland, an unhappy Tesla owner decided to blow up his Model S after learning it would need a new expensive battery pack. 

In the video on YouTube with English subtitles, Tuomas Katainen explains his 2013 Model S was in the shop for more than a month for service. When he heard back from the shop, they told him they couldn't repair his car, and the only option was to change the entire battery cell. 

Katainen said the fix would've cost him upwards of €20,000 ($22,500). He told the dealership that was absurd, and he donated the car to a Finnish YouTube channel Pommijätkät, whose name literally translates to 'Bomb Dudes.' 

Instead of fixing the Model S, 30 kg (66 pounds) of dynamite was strapped to the car for one explosive show. Showing his frustration, Katainen even had a doll of Tesla's founder Elon Musk in the driver's seat. 

The problem with electric cars utilizing lithium batteries is degradation over time. It's sort of like a smartphone or laptop -- enough charging cycles over the years, and the batteries will begin to hold less charge. The same thing happens with a Tesla or any other electric car. 

... and as Katainen found out, the fix becomes so expensive that it's not even worth putting the car back on the road. Think twice when falling into the ESG trap of buying a fully electric vehicle because in the medium term, if not covered by the automative maker or third party insurer, you might have to shell out an excessive amount of money to replace the battery. 

7 hours ago, wien4ever said:

Think twice when falling into the ESG trap of buying a fully electric vehicle because in the medium term, if not covered by the automative maker or third party insurer, you might have to shell out an excessive amount of money to replace the battery. 

Yeah, but you get to be so cool and trendy in the meantime

19 hours ago, aeroplane said:

that weird that Tesla is not detecting the yellow marking on the tarmac like Mercedes does. As soon I enter in the construction zone, the car recognizes the yellow lines for temporary lanes and don't push me around...

The car used to detect construction based on cones, barriers, red/white reflectors, etc.  It might still do that, but the notification doesn't happen anymore.  I get the feeling that Autopilot does not take advantage of region-specific clues like yellow lane markings meaning construction, which is dumb and sad.  After more than a year, traffic-light detection still doesn't realize that green arrow lane markings in tunnels are not actually traffic lights. 

Fahren auf gesperrter Spur: Strafen bis zum Führerscheinentzug -  AUTOFAHRERSEITE.EU - Fakten für Autofahrer  

er, what's wrong with turning all these aids off and actually driving the car yourself, you might find it more fun. I'm so glad I drive an older car, it would drive me to distraction with all these unnecessary aids.

"Tesla Model Y 'Top Safety Pick' "

WASHINGTON, Dec 21 (Reuters) - The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) said on Tuesday the 2021-22 Tesla Model Y received its Top Safety Pick+ designation.

Following a conversion to a camera-only system, IIHS said the mid-size SUV's standard front crash-prevention system earned superior ratings in both the vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian tests.

The standard front crash-prevention system on 2021-22 Tesla Model 3 vehicles built after April also earned a superior rating in both crash avoidance tests, following a software update, IIHS said.