Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,454 posts in this topic

If you hit return after pasting, it usually imbeds

7 hours ago, catjones said:

a World Record in a Tesla Plaid

I wonder how much longer before the mythical $25k Tesla hatchback (aka the NOT Model 2) will be released?

I was investigating the more affordable 50-60kw price segment - so €25-30k including the Innovationspraemie - and nothing really screams "buy me".

Having rented a Renault Zoe this summer, I found it surprisingly well-featured and spritely the drive. But Renault refuses to implement ACC / adaptive cruise control which for me is a no-go. I've driven an Audi A4 with the Technic package on various occasions and I never want to go back to non-assisted driving, especially auto start-stop in traffic or ACC for longer trips.

The Peugeot e-208 has nice assistance features but 30-40km less range than the Zoe is a deal-breaker.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only other option would be a base-model VW ID.3 Pro with the Assistance Plus package for about 28. But when you go on the VW forums you see that software updates are slow and sporadic and that doesn't really inspire confidence

That said, I think I'll wait until the end of next year to see if there's any hope for Tesla releasing an equivalent competitor for 2023.

On 10.11.2021, 09:03:21, circuits said:

I wonder how much longer before the mythical $25k Tesla hatchback (aka the NOT Model 2) will be released?

They will need new factories for that one, or massive expansion of existing ones.

I predict the first one in China, perhaps Shenzhen. Then Europe. So not before 2023.

They don't announce it to avoid the Osborn effect.

58 minutes ago, skinnypuppy said:

Less to do specifically with Tesla, more to do with human folly:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59357306

The article is 100% wrong! Drivers are able to enter the car and drive it, what can't be done is to remotely connect to the car.

Bluetooth is enough to unlock and drive the car. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to operate the car inside an underground garage!

Anyway, I always carry with me the credit-card like key, also because my phone could be out of battery, lost or stolen.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

The article is 100% wrong! Drivers are able to enter the car and drive it, what can't be done is to remotely connect to the car.

Bluetooth is enough to unlock and drive the car. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to operate the car inside an underground garage!

Anyway, I always carry with me the credit-card like key, also because my phone could be out of battery, lost or stolen.

Just love pushing buttons! Wonder what this one does. Nice red colour...

British English is now a language choice starting with firmware version 2021.40.6 

No idea why anyone would choose it, but there you go. 

61a60e8d8adda_Screenshot2021-11-30124348

1 hour ago, CincyInDE said:

British English is now a language choice starting with firmware version 2021.40.6 

No idea why anyone would choose it, but there you go.

How else would Elon get Brits to pay for the new "Cor, blimey!" mode?

I got the driver-side seat heater to activate via voice command with, "my ass is cold" as well as, "me arse is cold."  I did not try, "me arse is cold, guvnah." 

6 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

Got the update a few hours ago. Unsurprisingly, the remote camera view on the phone is disabled for Germany. But waypoints are on!

I actually thought of changing it to British English... maybe I will try it...

For those who don't know about the new features, watch this! With sound!

No wonder it's not allowed in Germany! Too much fun!

I will now apply to an IT school so that I can own a Tesla.

FFS. Is the world really that dangerous? I think that app is only for U.S.

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I will now apply to an IT school so that I can own a Tesla.

As a SW guy I can tell you Tesla is an example on how to make intuitive UX. I keep using it as reference for my work.

It's definitely not perfect, I would do many things differentely, but when I enter a VW, Mercedes or BMW I go nuts on how BAD is the UX.

FFS. Is the world really that dangerous? I think that app is only for U.S.

There are entire Youtube channels with videos from Teslas being vandalized or robbed, and owners have the videos and in many cases they can use it to find the offenders.

Same with dashcam and accidents.

In Germany this feature of remote video is not allowed.

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

In Germany this feature of remote video is not allowed.

I thought dashcams (and house doorbell cameras) are tolerated as long as the software removes the videos automatically after certain amount of time.

1 minute ago, Krieg said:

I thought dashcams (and house doorbell cameras) are tolerated as long as the software removes the videos automatically after certain amount of time.

It is more or less tolerated, and you can save sentry and dashcam videos. For example now Tesla has the option to automatically save a video if it detects a collision or an intrusion. I think this would pass on any court.

But I think Tesla went on the safe side with this one and doesn't allow you to see the videos remotely on your phone...

I can remotely see videos from my doorbell on my phone.   I do not buy that's the reason.

Maybe they are uploading the videos to servers outside of the EU.  That would be a problem.

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I can remotely see videos from my doorbell on my phone.   I do not buy that's the reason.

I think the doorbell is assumed to only film within your property. That is fine.

I had a bit of hope they would also allow it for the Tesla, but I think Tesla right now does not want to piss off Germans, even if they are right. But I know some EU countries have the feature.

Maybe they are uploading the videos to servers outside of the EU.  That would be a problem.

Definitely not for this purpose. They clearly state it's a direct connection.