Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,354 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Excellent article explaining why the press, especially the German one, is always against Tesla.

https://fullycharged.show/blog/bribery-and-corruption-of-journalists-and-media-by-the-automotive-industry/

I do balk at this bit...

"they are made on dedicated and separated production lines "

They must be super secret separated production lines that are so secret that even the people who work there don´t know about them.Unless he´s talking about vor serien linie. Ive certainly never heard or seen these at Porsche or Daimler.

As for the bit about better quality controls on "press" cars that´s sort of true but every car sent out for various reasons before that model is put into production has a lot higher quality control than the models that are produced en masse when it goes into production.There again any product from any walk of life that is sent out for review is obviously strictly quality controlled before being sent out.

As for better engines etc I have no idea but I lean towards probably bollocks on that bit.

I think "Dieselgate" showed how far auto makers will go for the extra bucks and I also find it hard to believe that no one in the auto media knew what was going on.

As for you saying the German press is always against Tesla I call bollocks on that.

There are many article praising Tesla and many criticizing them.

What you do not like and see as against Tesla is the fact that the press do not like it that Tesla doesn´t want unions.In your mind unions are nothing but a drain on profits which is the be all and end all as far as you´re concerned.You don´t care about workers rights or welfare you care purely about profit.

14 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Because most cars (exception to Asians) are built by purchase order. The amount of optionals is so large that in most cases you can't find the right match.

When we bought our Skoda back in 2011, the Superb only came fully loaded. We only had to choose the color and the seat color. I remember buying a Honda Accord back in the day that only came loaded.

6 hours ago, Keleth said:

You seem to believe that the modern press in the USA is full of Woodwards and Bernsteins.

and you always seem to know what people are thinking.

1 hour ago, catjones said:

and you always seem to know what people are thinking.

Whereas you don´t even seem to know what you yourself are thinking.

The US press is not corrupt...

On 10/4/2021, 2:48:54, catjones said:

to be clear, the article refers to corruption in the German press.  US-based auto-journalist would lose their jobs/reputation if found to be bribed.  corruption just accepted here, perhaps even admired.

The US press is corrupt just not as bad as Germany...

21 hours ago, catjones said:

compared to germany? yes.

Make your damn mind up.

"Tesla outsells Toyota in German market down 26% in September
Chips shortage leads to worst September sales since 1991"

Tesla benefitted from booming sales of electric cars in Germany in September, while traditional brands such as Mercedes-Benz and Audi saw their registrations slump as the shortage of microchips continued to lead to production cuts.

Registrations  for the month fell 26 percent to 196,972, according to data from the KBA motor authority, released on Tuesday.

Tesla was the biggest winner as EV sales continued to gain traction. The automaker's registrations rose 158 percent to 7,903, outselling Toyota's 7,394 sales.

Total market sales of full-electric cars jumped 59 percent to 33,655 for a 17.1 percent share of the market, a larger share than diesel cars. Registrations of diesels plunged 54 percent for a 15. 9 percent share.

https://europe.autonews.com/sales-market/tesla-outsells-toyota-german-market-down-26-september

Very decent explanation on Tesla's single piece casting. What happens when you have an accident? 

Notice: Tesla didn't invent this! This option was offered to many manufacturers before, but their stiff command chain refused it.

It's a huge cost saving on the car.

TLTR, in most cases it will be as expensive to repair as other cars. And similar probability of a write off.

Tesla's German Gigafactory should start producing electric cars by the end of the year — almost 6 months later than first planned.

The factory was originally slated to open on July 1, but permit issues and environmental concerns that came to light last year, including worries about endangering the local lizard population, delayed the opening. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-tesla-model-y-gigafactory-berlin-germany-production-delay-2021-10?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29

This is quite impressive. Tesla gathers impact data from the fleet. Simulates best airbag response and then updates the whole fleet back to improve safety. I also imagine they use this data for future vehicle development.

The writing is on the wall....

Volkswagen CEO warns shift to electric vehicles could cost 30,000 jobs -sources

"A debate is now underway and there are already many good ideas. There are no concrete scenarios," Manske said.  "

"Another union spokesperson from the region of Lower-Saxony, which is Volkswagen's second-largest shareholder, said such cuts were "out of the question". 

Wait til they are forced to address the lizard problem.

How do you translate "sense of urgency" into German?  Can it?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/volkswagen-considering-cutting-30-000-080953873.html

Tesla enters the German electricity market today.

https://www.n-tv.de/wirtschaft/Tesla-greift-auf-deutschem-Strommarkt-an-article22870817.html

Unsure if this is good. If they have those crazy schemes like in Texas (purchase cost plus fee), it's a no-go, as energy prices can oscillate like crazy.

I was also shocked that their website says 41% of Germany's electricity production comes from gas! We. Are. Fucked!

Another record quarter for Tesla, huge profit, huge margins. They also kept their expectations of growing an average of 50% per year for many years.

In terms of revenue (2020 as reference), this would mean:

• 2021 - Bigger than Suzuki, almost as big as Audi
  • 2022 - Bigger than Nissan
  • 2023 - bigger than Hyundai, Stellantis and BMW
  • 2024 - bigger than Honda, GM, Ford
  • 2025 - bigger than Daimler, Toyota and VW
  • 2026 - bigger than Apple 

Of course the analysis is very simplistic, but the message is very clear: Tesla is justifying its valuation. I think the current valuation corresponds to real value within 2 years.

The Dutch government's forensic lab said on Thursday it had decrypted electric carmaker Tesla Inc's closely guarded driving data-storage system, uncovering a wealth of information that could be used to investigate serious accidents...

here