Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,462 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2021, 12:11:47, hamogles said:

Overall the automotive industry has never been exceptionally profitable.

Got to call bullshit on that statement.

Unless you mean profit margins aren´t massive but there again due to mass sales profit is big.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent article explaining why the press, especially the German one, is always against Tesla.

https://fullycharged.show/blog/bribery-and-corruption-of-journalists-and-media-by-the-automotive-industry/

 

Quote

t’s hard to write a fair and balanced report about a car when the auto industry that makes it gives it to you and your family for free for private use not just for a week, but for years. If you decide to buy a car, you will get a discount of 15% and 30% for all options just for being a journalist. The long-haul business class trip to a nice place with a 5-star hotel and $200 for dinner and social events are included and, whether you like it or not, affect your ability for fair reviews, articles, and opinions. Since it is not money wired directly to your bank account, many will not call it a bribe, but where is the difference if the net gain in your pocket is the same as if you had received the money directly under the table or in a plastic bag at a garage?

 

Quote

And what if I tell you now that Tesla is the only company that doesn’t provide press cars or vehicles for free testing or nice business trips to nice places with 5-star hotels where everything is included!

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good read and it's a similar story across other industries, (especially "Green" ones). 

 

How can they afford this luxury wooing in an "industry has never been exceptionally profitable." ? ;) 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Excellent article explaining why the press, especially the German one, is always against Tesla.

https://fullycharged.show/blog/bribery-and-corruption-of-journalists-and-media-by-the-automotive-industry/

 

 

 

 

to be clear, the article refers to corruption in the German press.  US-based auto-journalist would lose their jobs/reputation if found to be bribed.  corruption just accepted here, perhaps even admired.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, catjones said:

 

to be clear, the article refers to corruption in the German press.  US-based auto-journalist would lose their jobs/reputation if found to be bribed.  corruption just accepted here, perhaps even admired.

In US it's not about bribing the journalists, it's about advertisement revenue.

Also a lot of press in US is linked to bigger groups, who have interests against Tesla.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Keleth said:

Got to call bullshit on that statement.

Unless you mean profit margins aren´t massive but there again due to mass sales profit is big.

 

Profit margins need to have proportionality to risk. The auto industry is high risk as it has a very front-heavy cost structure when you consider the years of R&D plus the costs of setting up a new factory that means you are pissing tons of cash into the wind before you have generated a single sale. Furthermore, sales projections are highly speculative and can easily be damaged by disruptive competition or even supply chain disruptions as we are seeing right now. Especially as many auto manufacturers have been squeezing their suppliers for margin over the last decades and forced consolidation onto them. The only hope is to make up for this in volume, and as the market overall is not going to be growing, it's going to be a dog eats dog scenario.

 

If you want to invest in auto stocks right now, go ahead. But I'm pulling out while the price is still good.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Tesla has always had impressive gross margins for its cars. One of the most recent reports of an impressive gross margin, which fuels profitability, was in January when Guosen Securities analyzed the Model Y. The study broke down the total gross margin and revealed it was 29.4%, around three times the industry average that lies at between 8-10% for luxury cars."

 

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-record-q1-2021-gross-margin-average-cost-decrease/

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, catjones said:

 

to be clear, the article refers to corruption in the German press.  US-based auto-journalist would lose their jobs/reputation if found to be bribed.  corruption just accepted here, perhaps even admired.

Lol yes the USA the bastion of honest journalism.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These production numbers are impressive. Here are my estimations for production per year

  • 2020 - 500k
  • 2021 - 900-930k (because Berlin is delayed)
  • 2022 - 1.800k (Tx and Berlin full ramp-up)
  • 2023 - 2.500k (slow growth because new factories are not yet ready, growth comes more from 4680 cells and megacasting)
  • 2024 - 3.500-4.000k (fast growth as Model 2 factories ramp up)

...

  • 2030 - 10.000k (Tesla estimation, not mine)
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Surely there will new models on the horizon, oder?

Model 2, Cybertruck, Semi and Roadster.

But the big, big thing will be Model Y and Model 2. I think Model Y can sell 750k-1.000k per year and Model 2 can sell 2.000k per year.

This all before 2025. I think Model 2 could even sell 10.000k per year in the first year, but production will be very, very limited, probably as low as 500k in the first year. Should be many years of waiting list for that car. A Tesla for $25.000? Will sell like crazy.

I think the announcement will be between January and March.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

They are going to have to put a lot more superchargers everywhere. That is what stops many from buying one now.

They just finished a huge supercharger factory in China. It's about the go BIG. That's why they are in talks to open the network to others. Because they are about to become the largest EV charging provider, by far. They will make billions per year.

They are also switching from V2 to V3. This alone allows them to quadruple the charging capacity without using more land. It's a moderately simple and fast upgrade to existing stations.

One point of consideration: delivery times are groing like crazy. If you order now, depending on the model it can take 3-6 months of waiting. If you order 1 year from now, it might take more than 1 year to deliver.

In US there are already one model with 9 months of waiting time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Lol yes the USA the bastion of honest journalism.

compared to germany? yes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, catjones said:

compared to germany? yes.

 

Mwahahaha!!!

 

Index details

Data of press freedom ranking 2021

Download the datas
  Ranking Countries & regions Abuse score Underlying situation score Global score Diff. score 2020 Diff. Position 2020
  1 Norway 0 6.72 6.72 -1.12 0
  2 Finland 0 6.99 6.99 -0.94 0
  3 Sweden 0 7.24 7.24 -2.01 1
  4 Denmark 0 8.57 8.57 0.44 -1
  5 Costa Rica 10.99 8.21 8.76 -1.77 2
  6 Netherlands 13.86 8.74 9.67 -0.29 -1
  7 Jamaica 0 9.96 9.96 -0.55 -1
  8 New Zealand 0 10.04 10.04 -0.65 1
  9 Portugal 0 10.11 10.11 -1.72 1
  10 Switzerland 6.93 10.55 10.55 -0.07 -2
  11 Belgium 6.93 11.69 11.69 -0.88 1
  12 Ireland 0 11.91 11.91 -0.69 1
  13 Germany 43.31 8.25 15.24 3.08 -2
  14 Canada 0 15.25 15.25 -0.04 2
  15 Estonia 0 15.25 15.25 2.64 -1
  16 Iceland 0 15.37 15.37 0.25 -1
  17 Austria 10.99 16.34 16.34 0.56 1
  18 Uruguay 0 16.38 16.38 0.59 1
  19 Suriname 0 16.95 16.95 -0.55 1
  20 Luxembourg 0 17.56 17.56 2.10 -3
  21 Samoa 0 19.24 19.24 0.99 0
  22 Latvia 0 19.26 19.26 0.70 0
  23 Liechtenstein 0 19.49 19.49 -0.03 1
  24 Namibia 10.99 19.72 19.72 0.47 -1
  25 Australia 0 19.79 19.79 -0.42 1
  26 Cyprus 16.09 19.85 19.85 -0.60 1
  27 Cabo Verde 0 20.09 20.09 -0.06 -2
  28 Lithuania 0 20.15 20.15 -1.04 0
  29 Spain 23.98 19.70 20.44 -1.72 0
  30 Ghana 17.92 21.33 21.33 -0.93 0
  31 Trinidad and Tobago 0 21.55 21.55 -1.67 5
  32 South Africa 45.64 15.61 21.59 -0.82 -1
  33 United Kingdom 13.86 21.65 21.59 -1.34 2
  34 France 41.90 17.89 22.60 -0.32 0
  35 Slovakia 0 23.02 23.02 0.35 -2
  36 Slovenia 6.93 23.10 23.10 0.46 -4
  37 Burkina Faso 6.93 23.17 23.17 -0.30 1
  38 Botswana 6.93 23.25 23.25 -0.31 1
  39 Andorra 0 23.32 23.32 0.09 -2
  40 Czech Republic 0 23.38 23.38 -0.19 0
  41 Italy 27.73 22.63 23.39 -0.30 0
  42 South Korea 0 23.43 23.43 -0.27 0
  43 Taiwan 0 23.86 23.86 0.10 0
  44 United States 39.70 20.03 23.93 0.08 1
  45 OECS 0 23.97 23.98 0.20 -1
  46 Tonga 0 24.59 24.59 -2.68 4
  47 Papua New Guinea 0 24.88 24.88 0.95 -1
  48 Romania 0 24.91 24.91 -1 0
  49 Senegal 28.33 24.62 25.22 1.23 -2
  50 Dominican Republic 6.93 25.60
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

It took us 6 months to get our Skoda. :lol:

Because most cars (exception to Asians) are built by purchase order. The amount of optionals is so large that in most cases you can't find the right match.

Tesla bulk builds, so in theory you could get one in the same day, as the available options are so few.

The only options are color (5), interior color (2) and motor/battery (3 for Model 3). So for the case of Model 3, there are only 30 possible variations.

 

For other manufacturers, there are thousands of variations. Quick example: a BMW 4 has 12 exterior colors, 20 seat materials and 7 interior panel materials. So only on those 3 choices, you have 1680 variations! It's simply impossible to pre-built your car, that's why it take months.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

 

Mwahahaha!!!

 

Index details

Data of press freedom ranking 2021

Download the datas
  Ranking Countries & regions Abuse score Underlying situation score Global score Diff. score 2020 Diff. Position 2020
  1 Norway 0 6.72 6.72 -1.12 0
  2 Finland 0 6.99 6.99 -0.94 0
  3 Sweden 0 7.24 7.24 -2.01 1
  4 Denmark 0 8.57 8.57 0.44 -1
  5 Costa Rica 10.99 8.21 8.76 -1.77 2
  6 Netherlands 13.86 8.74 9.67 -0.29 -1
  7 Jamaica 0 9.96 9.96 -0.55 -1
  8 New Zealand 0 10.04 10.04 -0.65 1
  9 Portugal 0 10.11 10.11 -1.72 1
  10 Switzerland 6.93 10.55 10.55 -0.07 -2
  11 Belgium 6.93 11.69 11.69 -0.88 1
  12 Ireland 0 11.91 11.91 -0.69 1
  13 Germany 43.31 8.25 15.24 3.08 -2
  14 Canada 0 15.25 15.25 -0.04 2
  15 Estonia 0 15.25 15.25 2.64 -1
  16 Iceland 0 15.37 15.37 0.25 -1
  17 Austria 10.99 16.34 16.34 0.56 1
  18 Uruguay 0 16.38 16.38 0.59 1
  19 Suriname 0 16.95 16.95 -0.55 1
  20 Luxembourg 0 17.56 17.56 2.10 -3
  21 Samoa 0 19.24 19.24 0.99 0
  22 Latvia 0 19.26 19.26 0.70 0
  23 Liechtenstein 0 19.49 19.49 -0.03 1
  24 Namibia 10.99 19.72 19.72 0.47 -1
  25 Australia 0 19.79 19.79 -0.42 1
  26 Cyprus 16.09 19.85 19.85 -0.60 1
  27 Cabo Verde 0 20.09 20.09 -0.06 -2
  28 Lithuania 0 20.15 20.15 -1.04 0
  29 Spain 23.98 19.70 20.44 -1.72 0
  30 Ghana 17.92 21.33 21.33 -0.93 0
  31 Trinidad and Tobago 0 21.55 21.55 -1.67 5
  32 South Africa 45.64 15.61 21.59 -0.82 -1
  33 United Kingdom 13.86 21.65 21.59 -1.34 2
  34 France 41.90 17.89 22.60 -0.32 0
  35 Slovakia 0 23.02 23.02 0.35 -2
  36 Slovenia 6.93 23.10 23.10 0.46 -4
  37 Burkina Faso 6.93 23.17 23.17 -0.30 1
  38 Botswana 6.93 23.25 23.25 -0.31 1
  39 Andorra 0 23.32 23.32 0.09 -2
  40 Czech Republic 0 23.38 23.38 -0.19 0
  41 Italy 27.73 22.63 23.39 -0.30 0
  42 South Korea 0 23.43 23.43 -0.27 0
  43 Taiwan 0 23.86 23.86 0.10 0
  44 United States 39.70 20.03 23.93 0.08 1
  45 OECS 0 23.97 23.98 0.20 -1
  46 Tonga 0 24.59 24.59 -2.68 4
  47 Papua New Guinea 0 24.88 24.88 0.95 -1
  48 Romania 0 24.91 24.91 -1 0
  49 Senegal 28.33 24.62 25.22 1.23 -2
  50 Dominican Republic 6.93 25.60

Ranking the US press with Tonga is simply absurd.

 

Want to know how the data is collected and results calculated?  Well, here you go....if you can understand what they're saying, you're a better journalism student than I am.

Extra points if you can define "experts".

 

HOW THE INDEX IS COMPILED

The degree of freedom available to journalists in 180 countries is determined by pooling the responses of experts to a questionnaire devised by RSF. This qualitative analysis is combined with quantitative data on abuses and acts of violence against journalists during the period evaluated. The criteria evaluated in the questionnaire are pluralism, media independence, media environment and self-censorship, legislative framework, transparency, and the quality of the infrastructure that supports the production of news and information.

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, catjones said:

compared to germany? yes.

You´re talking about a country where the President consistently lied in his PCs or answering questions and they were too afraid to call him out on it in case they lost their press passes or access to him,so I hate to think what they´d do for cold hard cash or favours.

 

You seem to believe that the modern press in the USA is full of Woodwards and Bernsteins.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now