Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,383 posts in this topic

Excellent video showing why some of the major car companies will go bust in the next 5 years, because of electrification.

Personally I think Ford and BMW will go bust. Been saying that BMW could go bust for more than a year.

Big problem with all of this is that Chinese will dominate auto business...

One very interesting point of the video is something I've noticed already: VW EVs are not selling well in China. They are not price competitive, but especially, they have no tech.

People in China, US and some in Europe are not happy with just an EV. They want a smartphone on wheels.

‘The smartest person in any room anywhere’: in defence of Elon Musk, by Douglas Coupland:

"It’s interesting whenever Elon Musk’s name comes up and people begin discussing his accomplishments, such as the reinvention of money, automobiles and space travel, there’s always someone who says: “Yeah, but I hear he can be a real dick.”

Take that, Elon."

So then, let’s be totally honest here, because in your heart, you know, and I know, dear reader, that you can be a real dick, too. So can I, and, if we’re being truly honest, so can, say, the Queen. She probably has to be a dick 10 times a week. So since when does being a dick somehow invalidate you as a person? It doesn’t. That’s just stupid. And what’s in it for you to dis someone you don’t know, anyway? Being negative is a stupid person’s way of trying to appear smart without actually being smart. And let’s also be certain about something else: we all hate a goody two-shoes, so come on, what kind of perfect behaviour is it you expect from a person, any person, let alone Elon Musk?

Interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/aug/29/the-smartest-person-in-any-room-anywhere-in-defence-of-elon-musk-by-douglas-coupland

Yeah, I read that article a few hours ago. He summarizes another important point:

But he’s not political!

No, he’s not. The left doesn’t like him because he doesn’t fund them or show interest in their causes. And the right doesn’t like him because he messes around with the stock market and doesn’t take classical capitalism seriously.

I would add that the left also does not like him because he contradicts their narrative that all major capitalist are bad.

Regarding "being a dick", anyone who has ever managed a large enough team with enough pressure will be a dick once in a while. Either that or change job.

Excellent interview. Been following this guy for years (although he is kind of a jerk).

He has exactly the same approach as Tesla in terms of sensors (pure vision). But he explains some differences with Tesla, although I think he exaggerates a bit.

In the process he describes his and Tesla's approach better for the layman than the Tesla team.

Bear in mind that complex path planning is NOT solvable by his approach.

Also he downplays data sourcing...

I think these guys will be bought up eventually. And from there compete with Tesla. More funds, more cars, more data.

On 25/08/2021, 23:02:35, DanglingPointer said:

I charged my car upto 97% today and it shows Projected range of 378 km. I thought it would offer at least 430-450 km, considering Telsa said Model 3 goes up to 484 km (Standard model)

Also changing the options below the graph, like 25km or 50km and Instant range changed the values. For e.g. Selecting 50 Km and Instant Range showed it to 425 km range.

I don't know if I completely understood this concept

Which Model 3 did you buy?  If you got an SR+ then watch this video about the 2 different battery chemistries that Tesla uses in the SR+.  It might be the case that you should be charging to 100% at least once per week to keep the remaining charge display accurate. 

On 8/29/2021, 11:52:23, Janx Spirit said:

such as the reinvention of money, automobiles

Oh and there´s me thinking Musk was a venture capitalist who invested in Tesla.

I didn´t realise he was actually responsible for inventing the EV.

Venture capitalists have injected millions in funding into mrna vaccines and vaccines research.Would we say these people have reinvented Vaccines themselves or would we say that those companies and scientists have.

This is why a lot of people don´t like Musk.His hangers on who drool at every word he utters and every idea he has,who persist in thinking he is god like and can make no mistakes.

His biggest defenders are often a cause of a lot of the hate thrown at him.

4 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Reinvention not invention

potato potarto

So how did Musk reinvent the car?

Still don´t worry about not giving any credit to the people who did actually reinvent the car let´s give it to the money man instead.

On 9/2/2021, 8:01:43, Keleth said:

potato potarto

Still don´t worry about not giving any credit to the people who did actually reinvent the car let´s give it to the money man instead.

Sure Musk employs people who make great inventions and do really good work, but he does as well

BAck when Tesla had really problems and some people thought Tesla would go bust, he got out of his office, went to the factory and worked with the people on the shop floor to get a solution that cars could be produced, he slept in the factory and was eating sandwiches out of the machine.

How many managers in British Leyland did that to save the company and the workers jobs ?

Sure he makes shit lots of money, and I do not mind that, I am not a Tesla fanboy or a musk hatter

22 hours ago, yesterday said:

Sure Musk employs people who make great inventions and do really good work, but he does as well

Nowhere did I say he didn´t work hard etc.

What I stated as wrong is the statement he "reinvented the automobile".

It´s yet another statement that Musk fanboys use when stating he is the sole reason for the success of Tesla or Paypal.

It´s the same sort of thing as when people say that Bezos started Amazon with nothing despite the 300k he got from his parents to do it.

On 02/09/2021, 15:49:39, Keleth said:

I didn´t realise he was actually responsible for inventing the EV.

On 02/09/2021, 15:53:44, Janx Spirit said:

Reinvention not invention.

Jesus, who shat in your Weissbier...

On 02/09/2021, 20:01:43, Keleth said:

potato potarto

EV not car

Certainly not single-handedly but with a little help from his friends:

"It's hard to remember a time when "Elon Musk" and "electric cars" didn't go hand-in-hand. "

But back in the early 2000s, the dream of mass-market electric cars with long range and rapid acceleration was still a long way off for Musk, who had already cofounded and sold Zip2 and PayPal and was working on SpaceX. That changed with a fateful test drive in 2003. 

At the behest of the person who would go on to become Tesla's first chief technology officer, JB Straubel, Musk took a ride in AC Propulsion's tZero, a tiny electric car that was built as a prototype. Musk was so wowed by the car he tried to get the company to commercialize it — it didn't want to, which in part led to the birth of Tesla. 

The tZero was designed by a company called AC Propulsion, which in the early 2000s, was run by cofounder Alan Cocconi and CEO Tom Gage. AC Propulsion wasn't an electric carmaker — it worked with car manufacturers to produce electric vehicle drive systems.

The tZero was a prototype vehicle built by hand in 1997. The body and the chassis of the vehicle were based on a kit car called the Piontek Sportech. The car was estimated to cost $220,000.

The tZero ran on lithium-ion battery cells, which — thanks to their light weight — made the car surprisingly fast: it reportedly went from 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds. The tZero also had a range of more than 200 miles.

While the tZero had an outwardly stylish design, its interior was described as "Spartan."

A Forbes article from 2003 described the interior of the vehicle as "like a science project": 

"... most of the controls apart from the CD player are gadgets to monitor the battery and tiny 110-lb. motor. Drivers get an analog current meter, voltmeter, altimeter, and battery-voltage display with LED lights that measures temperature and charging limits.

Remember, though, this is more of an experiment than a traditionally appointed car. The tZero does not come with air-conditioning. And to lower its top and windows, you detach them and store them in the trunk."

Only three tZeros were ever produced, and there is reportedly only one left in existence. One of the vehicles was incinerated in a garage fire in 2017, and it's not clear what happened to the third.

Shortly after founding SpaceX, Musk was having lunch with satellite pioneer Harold Rosen and JB Straubel, who went on to become Tesla's chief technology officer. Straubel suggested they take a ride in a tZero and Musk agreed. 

"It literally didn't have doors or a roof, or any airbags, or an effective cooling system for the battery and it was not safe and was very unreliable," Musk on the Third Row Tesla podcast in February. "It needed to be babied by an engineer or ... you couldn't use it." 

Still, Musk was excited about the concept and tried to convince Cocconi and Gage to commercialize the car.

"I really pestered them a lot to commercialize the tZero, and they just did not want to do it," Musk said. 

Musk said he asked the team, "If you're not going to commercialize the tZero, do you mind if I do it?" The team said yes, and introduced Musk to another group looking to do the same: Tesla Motors' Martin Eberhard, Marc Tarpenning, and Ian Wright.

In 2004, Musk invested $6.3 million in Tesla. For the next four years, the company worked on its first car, the Tesla Roadster.

Musk has since said that without the tZero, "Tesla wouldn't exist."

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-tesla-roadster-history-tzero-electric-car-2020-7#musk-has-since-said-that-without-the-tzero-tesla-wouldnt-exist-8

6 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

EV not car

Exactly.

This from the very article you yourself posted and quoted...

On 8/29/2021, 11:52:23, Janx Spirit said:

such as the reinvention of money, automobiles and space travel,

Which goes to highlight my point that it is the fanboys who in their eyes Musk can do absolutely no wrong and everything he does is god like that leads to people criticising him.

On 8/29/2021, 9:13:43, MikeMelga said:

I would add that the left also does not like him because he contradicts their narrative that all major capitalist are bad.

He does what most rich business people do.

He tends to donate to both sides which is another way of saying "when you get in power look after me".

It´s vary rare when a business person will pick a side and make it public,they tend to be political when it comes to tax breaks etc but keep out of every other political argument.

5 hours ago, Keleth said:

He does what most rich business people do.

He tends to donate to both sides

Have you ever gotten two+ quotes for work you want done and then take the one most beneficial to you?

"Elon Musk 'Changing The World With His Ventures,' Says Tesla Rival Volkswagen's CEO"

Volkswagen AG CEO Herbert Diess in an interview with CNN Business on Monday said he doesn’t “see any parallels” between himself and Tesla Inc CEO Elon Musk.

What Happened: Diess said that he highly regards what Musk is doing.

“I think he's a brilliant guy. And he really makes a difference. He's changing the world with his ventures.”

The Volkswagen CEO appreciated Musk’s long-term vision but acknowledged that he was fundamentally different.

“He's thinking far. And he's [a] brilliant guy. But we are quite different. He is very focused on Tesla, on his story. I'm running a big traditional company, which we try to prepare for the future,” said Diess, as per CNN.

“I think we also require different characters. I like him a lot, but I think we are quite different.”

Why It Matters: Diess revealed in the interview that internal combustion engine vehicles will still occupy a place in Volkswagen’s strategy as in some parts of the world they are still needed, reported CNN.

“We don't want to pull back, for instance, from Latin America, where electric cars will probably not be the solution for climate change. In Latin America, the natural way forward is to use biofuels which are CO2 neutral,” said Diess.

The auto executive revealed that Volkswagen’s first autonomous fleets will come to the market in 2025 and the first private cars driving autonomous are expected the same year or in 2026.

More over here:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-changing-world-ventures-025021887.html

18 hours ago, catjones said:

Have you ever gotten two+ quotes for work you want done and then take the one most beneficial to you?

No sooner is it mentioned and up steps one of those aforementioned fanboys.

For you to equate those 2 things is fucking ridiculous.

What you´re basically saying is it is ok to give money to political parties as long as they return the favour in one way or another.

Normal people donate to a political party because they believe in them and their policies and not because they expect something material in return.

Lets say you donate to Labour because they promise social justice,equality etc.Do you then chuck money the Tories way even though they are the opposite of Labour because you might get a tax cut from them.

Like I said Musk does what most rich people do in donating to both sides because they hope that whoever wins will return the favour in one way or the other.

That´s not the way politics is supposed to work but because there are many people like you that is how it works.That´s how people like Trump,Bolsinaro etc get into power,they use the money from the rich to popularise themselves to the less well off.

5 hours ago, Keleth said:

No sooner is it mentioned and up steps one of those aforementioned fanboys.

For you to equate those 2 things is fucking ridiculous.

What you´re basically saying is it is ok to give money to political parties as long as they return the favour in one way or another.

Normal people donate to a political party because they believe in them and their policies and not because they expect something material in return.

Lets say you donate to Labour because they promise social justice,equality etc.Do you then chuck money the Tories way even though they are the opposite of Labour because you might get a tax cut from them.

Like I said Musk does what most rich people do in donating to both sides because they hope that whoever wins will return the favour in one way or the other.

That´s not the way politics is supposed to work but because there are many people like you that is how it works.That´s how people like Trump,Bolsinaro etc get into power,they use the money from the rich to popularise themselves to the less well off.

You do not know who you are talking to anymore than you know what you are talking about...comrade.  Time to grow up, put your big-boy pants on and see the world as it is instead of crying that it's unfair...to you.

18 hours ago, Keleth said:

That's why some countries forbid large donations and lobbying. Why not start by that? It's simple and very effective.