Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,354 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2021, 3:04:08, MikeMelga said:

Tesla bot... a fucking humanoid robot. I don't think they should have shown it so soon, it's just an attempt to attract the best in the field, but will stirr a lot of union lovers

Oh my word what on Earth made Musk think this would be a good idea.

13 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Oh my word what on Earth made Musk think this would be a good idea.

I'm tired of seeing the overly-wired, heavyweight, clumsy robots hopping, skipping, jumping, and bouncing around. It's time we had some svelte runway type killer robot models that are pleasing to the eye and move like humans. Looking forward to playing survival hide n seek.

5 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

tired of seeing the overly-wired, overweight clumsy robots hopping around.  It's time we had some svelte runway type killer robot models that are pleasing to the eye. 

Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure proposal would set aside $50 billion for the semiconductor industry, with an emphasis on expanding U.S. manufacturing of chips that, today, largely come from places like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and China.

Biden is in bed with big auto and auto unions. His electrification plan is a disaster and a setback. His hydrogen pan is a complete disaster and shows he is also in bed with big oil.

Although not as bad as Trump, I don't expect Biden to give significant contribution to electrification, and insufficient contribution to fight climate changes.

"IMPACT REPORT: TESLA COMPARES VEHICLE FIRES BETWEEN ITS FLEET AND THE US AVERAGE"

When a vehicle catches fire, it’s usually no more newsworthy than a dog bite—unless of course, that vehicle is an electric car. Tesla suffered a spate of bad publicity following three highly-publicized vehicle fires in 2013, and almost every crash of a Tesla still seems to make the national news.

In 2019, there were almost 190,000 vehicle fires in the US alone—only a tiny fraction of them involving EVs.

“From 2012 to 2020, there has been approximately one Tesla vehicle fire for every 205 million miles traveled,” Tesla tells us. “By comparison, data from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and US Department of Transportation show that, in the US, there is one vehicle fire for every 19 million miles traveled.”

tesla.png.02e48578a99acb25855b0c2c6e986b

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/tesla-fire-incidents-involving-its-vehicles-are-11-times-lower-than-the-us-average

Driving new Model 3 for 5 days and thoroughly enjoying it. Have already done 460 km and it is fun to drive :-)

Till now we always had SUVs so sitting position is bit low, but I hope we get used to it in some time.

I am still trying to find out best charging habits. I am dependent on public charging stations as of now and I have a SWM charger near to my apartment, where I get a place every time I go.

I already charged it 4 times so far as shown below, which has costed me 24.19€ so far. I am still not able to understand whether this is cheaper than petrol :) and what are good charging habits. Watched some videos and people say that we should always charge it between 20 to 80%. As of now my Car shows 28% and I am thinking to do a full charge (90%) again when it drops to 15% say.

Any tips or link to sources for better charging habits. On Thursday we are planning for a long trip to Prague, so I will charge it 100% before leaving and will charge on the way at a Supercharge if required.

charging.JPG

You are paying around 38 cent/kWh (€6.41/16.86 kWh). From a quick ADAC check (Mike will possibly correct me) the Model 3 consumes around 20 kWh/100 km. Which means you are spending €7.5/100 km. An equivalent gasoline car needs around 6 l/100 km. At €1.5/ l that's €9/100km.  So you're paying around 15% less, but IMHO the real savings come when you generate your own electricy or are able to get it for cheap with a good contract, or when you compute the TCO as electrical cars are cheaper to maintain.  Electricity is expensive in Germany.

"Environmental lawyer tasked with suing Tesla speaks: ‘Win Some, Lose Some’ "

Since Tesla launched the construction of Giga Berlin, the company’s first European vehicle assembly plant in the State of Brandenburg, nearly every element of the project has been met with pushback and backlash from local citizens and other groups

Thousands of miles and a continent away from its home in Northern California, Tesla has sparred with local environmental groups NABU and the Green League for nearly a year, with lawyer Thorsten Deppner representing the Earth-friendly entities. In an exclusive interview with Teslarati, Deppner told us about his intentions for the lawsuit and what is next to come in a long line of issues that the automaker continues to sift through as production of sustainable passenger vehicles nears at the German plant.

Deppner told me throughout the conversation on several occasions that the goal was never to have Tesla Giga Berlin shut down; the complaints and lawsuits were more meant to be “guidance.” The goal was to have Tesla adhere to German environmental law throughout the entire process of building Giga Berlin, a misconception that many people do not realize. “We did not want to have this project shut down; we just want Tesla to follow environmental law,” Deppner added.

The next steps for Deppner are to continue monitoring the Tesla situation until things are ultimately filed, approved, and completed in Brandenburg. As for the attorney, he likely won’t be driving a Tesla anytime soon, but that is not to say that he doesn’t appreciate what the company is doing. He said that the mission of transitioning the world to sustainable energy and transportation is important, and EVs are undoubtedly a step in the right direction. As for the case, Deppner said, “You win some, you lose some.”

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-giga-berlin-lawyer-thorsten-deppner-speaks/

35 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

You are paying around 38 cent/kWh (€6.41/16.86 kWh). From a quick ADAC check (Mike will possibly correct me) the Model 3 consumes around 20 kWh/100 km.

My all time (2 years) average is 184Wh/km = 18.4kWh/100km. I have a lead foot and frequently go above 200km/h.

I think a more moderate user will do around 170Wh/km. And a super careful user will get 140.

This is with the Long Range version. The SR+ is slightly more efficient because it's much lighter.

@DanglingPointer, you can check your all time stats in the car. Just remember it will be worst in the winter.

Bear in mind that there are conversion losses. So when you charge in a supercharger, it will only bill you for kWh that reaches the battery. But AFAIK non-Tesla chargers will bill you for kWh provided to the car. If they are DC chargers, no big difference, but if they are AC chargers, you need to accound for the conversion losses, the internal converter is around 92% efficient.

Although savings in Germany are not much on the charging side, the bigger benefit should come from maintenance costs.

Also excemption from circulation tax, which should save you 250€ per year.

1 hour ago, DanglingPointer said:

Watched some videos and people say that we should always charge it between 20 to 80%.

This is for long trips, because beyond 80% it takes forever. At home I usually go for 70%, but 90% is fine.

1 hour ago, DanglingPointer said:

As of now my Car shows 28% and I am thinking to do a full charge (90%) again when it drops to 15% say.

Any tips or link to sources for better charging habits. On Thursday we are planning for a long trip to Prague, so I will charge it 100% before leaving and will charge on the way at a Supercharge if required.

Use https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=275aa0a1-d09e-4ee5-ae52-a081d585c905 for the planning.

I charge to 100% before leaving and then target reaching each supercharger at 15-25%.

Then, while at the supercharger, I put the next one on the map. It will tell me in real time how much charge I will have when reaching the next one. As soon as I get 20% for the next supercharger, I move on. This is because it charges much faster when it's below 60%.

But in general, don't stress, the network is great and a few minutes stretching the legs is good.

Be aware that now a lot of V3 superchargers are being installed, they are even faster.

18 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

My all time (2 years) average is 184Wh/km = 18.4kWh/100km. I have a lead foot and frequently go above 200km/h.

I think a more moderate user will do around 170Wh/km. And a super careful user will get 140.

This is with the Long Range version. The SR+ is slightly more efficient because it's much lighter.

Yeah, but that's by definition the net consumption of the car. ADAC values include charging losses which is reasonable as you normally pay for them (Tesla freebie nonwidthstanding). It also fits the data: 18.4/.92 = 20.

As of now I use AC and music and also go on 150+ on Autobahns. I think Tesla exec mentioned during one of our visit that ADAC members can save 2 cents per kwh. I will also check that.

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

May I ask if you guys are freely using AC while driving?

Yeah, in auto mode.

AC actually has a huge impact on efficiency. In the spring I turn it off sometimes and get 110Wh/km or lower!

The more recent models have a heat pump for heating, so they are more efficient.

56 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Yeah, in auto mode. AC actually has a huge impact on efficiency. In the spring I turn it off sometimes and get 110Wh/km or lower!

Please never tell my wife this: she'll fix the Auto button with glue. She keeps turning the AC off as it is.

AC means cooling only, and AC in summer is not bad at all for range. Barely noticable.

Heat in winter affects range to a much greater extent, but as Mike says, newer models have a heat pump, which lessens this a lot. How much? I dunno. I have the old-style resistive heater.

I charged my car upto 97% today and it shows Projected range of 378 km. I thought it would offer at least 430-450 km, considering Telsa said Model 3 goes up to 484 km (Standard model)

Also changing the options below the graph, like 25km or 50km and Instant range changed the values. For e.g. Selecting 50 Km and Instant Range showed it to 425 km range.

I don't know if I completely understood this concept

tesla-range.JPG

9 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

I charged my car upto 97% today and it shows Projected range of 378 km. I thought it would offer at least 430-450 km, considering Telsa said Model 3 goes up to 484 km (Standard model)

That projected range is a short term prediction based, in your case, in the past 10km of driving. I never look at these values. BTW, these WLTP numbers are not to be trusted. In my case, I'm closer to EPA range.

WLTP = 560km

EPA = 495km

Of course I can reach WLTP, but then I need to moderate on the Autobahn. I can even reach 800km, if I turn everything off and drive at 60-80km/h.

Also changing the options below the graph, like 25km or 50km and Instant range changed the values. For e.g. Selecting 50 Km and Instant Range showed it to 425 km range.

I don't know if I completely understood this concept

It's the average of the past "x" km. Don't bother with that graph, in practice it does not matter, as you will target a charge at 20% battery anyway. The "Trip" view is actually much more helpful.

Oh, and congrats, I can see you have a software update! (yellow arrow on top)