Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,353 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I knew a blind guy over internet a couple of decades ago and that was exactly what he was worried about.  Cars that don't make noise.

NOT an old story. I don't do old stories😂

Yesterday morning... that bend in the road... walking with the dog.. that speeding driver.. that was close to a wipe out of us both.😒

On 17/08/2021, 09:55:49, DanglingPointer said:

esla guys said that they will deliver the car around 40-50% charged.

that's much better than my delivery -- it was about 20%. 

which options did you choose?  Color?  Wheels?  etc.

On 17/08/2021, 11:29:48, MikeMelga said:

If I remember correctly, I got everything done within the same day, just one visit to arrange it (bring all the paperwork!) and another to pick it up.

I think I paid something around 65€, which is quite good, as a license plate itself costs easily 20€.

Just for information, in case anyone wants to register a new car in Munich, I did registration today. It was not too complicated. I was able to do everything in 1hour.

Registration for model-3 cost me 46,40€ and Number Plates 42€, little expensive I guess than what I paid few years ago, but I just went to the first shop at the corner

There is an underground car park at Eichstätter Str. 2, which is also free for an hour.

First you had the idiot Tesla drivers who thought they didn´t need to pay attention so sat in passenger seat instead of drivers seat.

Now this..

I can understand leaving a door open it happens all the time but to carrying on driving despite all the warnings the car gives you is unbelievably dense.

Why is it when you give someone a bit of hi tech they seem to think that they need no human input at all.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

First you had the idiot Tesla drivers

Actually, it's "idiots who drive Teslas".  It's not like they become Einsteins while outside their cars.  That's why we call them "idiots".  Sometimes, you'll see them in Mecedes or BMWs too.  Sometimes on bikes and on the sidewalk.  I even caught one on this forum.

15 hours ago, Keleth said:

First you had the idiot Tesla drivers who thought they didn´t need to pay attention so sat in passenger seat instead of drivers seat.

Now this..

I can understand leaving a door open it happens all the time but to carrying on driving despite all the warnings the car gives you is unbelievably dense.

Why is it when you give someone a bit of hi tech they seem to think that they need no human input at all.

I hope this was a valuable lesson for that idiot. 

Tesla had a "AI Day" event just 3h ago. I didn't have time to see it yet, but as predicted, they showed a humanoid robot. I think this will piss off a lot of people on the idea of job losses. Of course this is years from being ready, and first versions will be shitty, but it will certain drive a lot of people against Tesla.

But it also shows it's not "just another car company".

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Tesla had a "AI Day" event just 3h ago. I didn't have time to see it yet, but as predicted, they showed a humanoid robot. I think this will piss off a lot of people on the idea of job losses. Of course this is years from being ready, and first versions will be shitty, but it will certain drive a lot of people against Tesla.

But it also shows it's not "just another car company".

Lot of people yet again seems to think it will not happen in the short term ie next year, maybe its just another attempt tp push the share price up

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-claims-prototype-tesla-bot-set-to-arrive-next-year-and-it-can-pick-up-your-groceries-12385705

my prediction yesterday wasn't too far off :)

"I'm expecting musk to slow dance with a robot to the song 'careless whisper' "

Well, most manufactures particularly in the car world are struggling to get enough chips to go in to cars, how is musk going to get enough chips to run his robots ?

23 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Lot of people yet again seems to think it will not happen in the short term ie next year, maybe its just another attempt tp push the share price up

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-claims-prototype-tesla-bot-set-to-arrive-next-year-and-it-can-pick-up-your-groceries-12385705

Elon said clearly it's not next year. Next year would be a very basic prototype. It won't push the share price up, it can even have the opposite effect. It's an attempt to hire geeks at low wages.

14 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Well, most manufactures particularly in the car world are struggling to get enough chips to go in to cars, how is musk going to get enough chips to run his robots ?

Same reason Tesla barely felt the chip crisis on their production. Long explanation, but basically Tesla is not like the other manufacturers.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Same reason Tesla barely felt the chip crisis on their production. Long explanation, but basically Tesla is not like the other manufacturers.

https://electrek.co/2021/06/02/elon-musk-compares-chip-shortage-to-toilet-paper-pandemic-affecting-tesla/

Seems to say Tesla is suffering as well, but not as bad as Honda, Toyota etc

Must admit I always thought that Tesla was not suffering as much because they build a fraction of cars the Toyota make, and therefore are not as affected as Toyota.

Tesla buys the chips off other companies at the moment, so if the other companies get problems, then I guess Tesla, must have other options including stock piling and trying to sorce from others, but Tesla will find it easier becuase they do not produce anyway near the the number of cars they Toyota etc produce

9 minutes ago, yesterday said:

https://electrek.co/2021/06/02/elon-musk-compares-chip-shortage-to-toilet-paper-pandemic-affecting-tesla/

Seems to say Tesla is suffering as well, but not as bad as Honda, Toyota etc

Must admit I always thought that Tesla was not suffering as much because they build a fraction of cars the Toyota make, and therefore are not as affected as Toyota.

Errr... no... they hit record production numbers in Q1 and Q2. This is compared with other companies which are reporting up to 40% production stop.

Tesla buys the chips off other companies at the moment, so if the other companies get problems, then I guess Tesla, must have other options including stock piling and trying to sorce from others, but Tesla will find it easier becuase they do not produce anyway near the the number of cars they Toyota etc produce

No, it's because of 5 things:

• They use a lot less chips and components, because development is done inhouse, instead of hundreds of suppliers. A VW car uses around 150 micro controllers. Tesla uses a fraction of that
  • They quickly remade electronics and software to be able to use alternative chips
  • They make big orders instead of JIT (Just in Time) orders, which is what other automotive do
  • They are a key account for Samsung due to FSD computer orders. Means the FSD chip, memories, etc are built with priority for Tesla
  • They released the "Vision" version of Autopilot/FSD months before planned, therefore new cars build from April on have no radar from Bosch

Summary of "AI Day":

• FSD technology is evolving extremely good and at this point I have no question it will work. I think they could do a wide release by end of year or Q1 2022. They also demonstrated why they don't need LIDAR nor Radar. That's huge. Both demonstration of feature detection and path prediction were extremely convincing. I think the main work ahead is just increasing the number of detected features and expanding to other countries. The concept seems to be finished
  • No word on Robotaxi. I think for the next few years they won't launch it. Increasing safety, waiting for approval and perhaps HW4 will delay it
  • Dojo computer is not that relevant for the automotive side, but seems quite impressive in terms of performance. Hints at a future range of products and services disconnected from automotive
  • Tesla bot... a fucking humanoid robot. I don't think they should have shown it so soon, it's just an attempt to attract the best in the field, but will stirr a lot of union lovers

I don't think AI Day will move the stock much, the media will just distort everything. I think the next moves come from quarter numbers and factory openings (Berlin, Texas)

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Errr... no... they hit record production numbers in Q1 and Q2. This is compared with other companies which are reporting up to 40% production stop.

Last time I looked, in 2019, about 73 million cars were sold world wide.  Last figures before COVID hit

In the developed countries, e-cars have about 2 or 3 % of the market share. 

Which means about a couple of millions of cars compared, to the ICE cars of about 70 million cars 

That's why I say chip shortages are hurting ICE cars because they need massively more chips than the same number of e-cars need today.

e-cars, will need less chips as they are currently a small car player

That makes no sense. Chip shortages has nothing to do with size.

And in general e-cars have the same amount of chips. The big exception is Tesla.

It is completely unrelated with e-cars. It's 100% related with vertical integration.

5 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Chip shortages has nothing to do with size.

and, as with all things business, all chip users will take steps to ensure future supplies.

"anybody want to build a chip factory"?