Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,429 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

More on very strong Q2 results... institutional investors are returning after being scared with the Bitcoin madness.

A madness that, for the time being.is paying off...

1 Bitcoin equals
45,410.20 United States Dollar
Aug 10, 3:14 PM UTC · Disclaimer

"Tests Show All Driver Assist Systems Can Be Fooled, Not Just Tesla"

In a series of tests conducted by our pals over at Car and Driver, it was demonstrated that the Level 2 driver-assist, semi-automated systems used by pretty much all major carmakers are able to be fooled to allow a driver to be completely inattentive, even to the point of leaving the driver’s seat. This is, of course, bad if not terribly surprising news, and is really another reminder that all Level 2 driver-assist systems are inherently flawed.

https://jalopnik.com/tests-show-all-driver-assist-systems-can-be-fooled-not-1847474485

Finally, I am getting my model 3 delivered on Thursday. Looking forward to it :-)

Just have to sort our registration and insurance before it.

Can I charge it at say at SWM charging stations on street using some App or do I need to order some physical cards or something from SWM?

4 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

Finally, I am getting my model 3 delivered on Thursday. Looking forward to it :-)

Can I charge it at say at SWM charging stations on street using some App or do I need to order some physical cards or something from SWM?

SWM charging stations work with an app (MVG more) or with a card. 

I generally avoid using apps for charging if possible because a) mobile phone service is not always good and 2) if something goes wrong your cable can remain locked to the charging station.  If you start the session with a card, the card can usually (like >99% of the time) unlock your cable, and D) using a card is simply a lot faster. 

@DanglingPointer

Make sure you get a number plate with an E at the end. It's required for public charging in Munich, as is a Parkscheibe. I bought an electronic one from that asshole who goes to space for fun. Look up "needit park lite" on the interwebz.

21 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

I highly recommend these guys for the license plate and handling registration. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't do the registration, but these guys did a great job.

https://goo.gl/maps/mYk5FwGQxQnBosRB9

Thanks @MikeMelga and @CincyInDE for the inputs.

Yes its surprising that Tesla doesn't do the registrations. I have carried forward my old number and will add E to it. I have taken an appointment at registrations office tomorrow. Hope It would be fairly simple if I carry all the documents.

Tesla guys said that they will deliver the car around 40-50% charged. So the first thing I might have to do after coming back to Munich is trying to charge it at a SWM charger near my home.

Does anyone miss the heads-up display in Model-3? In normal cars, we have a speedometer and maps right under the steering wheel. In model-3 we might have to look at the right a bit. How is the experience with existing users?

17 minutes ago, DanglingPointer said:

Thanks @MikeMelga and @CincyInDE for the inputs.

Yes its surprising that Tesla doesn't do the registrations. I have carried forward my old number and will add E to it. I have taken an appointment at registrations office tomorrow. Hope It would be fairly simple if I carry all the documents.

Last time I did it, it took me the whole morning... that's why I paid those guys.

Tesla guys said that they will deliver the car around 40-50% charged. So the first thing I might have to do after coming back to Munich is trying to charge it at a SWM charger near my home.

A very important advice: be VERY careful the first time you press the pedal, either forward or backward! The car will come in "Standard" acceleration, which is super sensitive! I pulled the car backwards and acceleration was so strong I crossed the street by mistake!!! I could have crashed within the first few minutes!

My advice: for normal driving, use "Chill" acceleration, especially until you get used to the sensitivity. Then everytime you find an Audi at a traffic light, switch to "standard" :D

What I did the first time was to drive it for 2h, and we ended up in a supercharger north of Munich. Don't charge over 90% unless you intend to spend it right away. I usually charge up to 70-80%.

Does anyone miss the heads-up display in Model-3? In normal cars, we have a speedometer and maps right under the steering wheel. In model-3 we might have to look at the right a bit. How is the experience with existing users?

It takes a bit to get used to it. Maybe 2 weeks. On the positive side, driving at night is much better, no HUD lights to bother you.

I usually use Autopilot during most of the commute or long trips, so looking to the screen for 2 seconds is ok, the car will keep you in the lane.

One super important accessory: buy the USB stick for Sentry Mode!!!

Wow..cool..thanks Mike for the important tips. I will call these guys and check if the can still do the registration tomorrow as I have to pick the car on 19th :) 

Dont want to waste whole day tomorrow as day after also I cant work half a day because of the delivery of new car

If I remember correctly, I got everything done within the same day, just one visit to arrange it (bring all the paperwork!) and another to pick it up.

I think I paid something around 65€, which is quite good, as a license plate itself costs easily 20€.

Tesla Autopilot: US opens official investigation into self-driving tech

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58232137

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said it was acting following 11 Tesla crashes since 2018 involving emergency vehicles.

In some cases, the Tesla vehicles "crashed directly into the vehicles of first responders", it said.

The investigation will cover roughly 765,000 Tesla cars made since 2014.

Read the other day, some car manufactures have level 3 system working in non Tesla cars

Can I also suggest Tesla cars make some fucking noise?

Whilst crossing the road on Monday a Tesla came around the corner and nearly hit me. I didn't see/hear him/her coming from 100m away.

Today in the car park walking aimlessly, I suddenly got beeped from behind. Fucking silent ninja Tesla up my arse!

Is Tesla a new name for Jaws?

On a more serious note: I can see and more importantly, hear. Many others in our everyday lives can't.

8 minutes ago, Chelski said:

Can I also suggest Tesla cars make some fucking noise?

Whilst crossing the road on Monday a Tesla came around the corner and nearly hit me. I didn't see/hear him/her coming from 100m away.

Today in the car park walking aimlessly, I suddenly got beeped from behind. Fucking silent ninja Tesla up my arse!

Is Tesla a new name for Jaws?

On a more serious note: I can see and more importantly, hear. Many others in our everyday lives can't.

I knew a blind guy over internet a couple of decades ago and that was exactly what he was worried about.  Cars that don't make noise.

12 minutes ago, Chelski said:

Can I also suggest Tesla cars make some fucking noise?...

...On a more serious note: I can see and more importantly, hear. Many others in our everyday lives can't.

So it doesn't matter a fuck if they make a noise or not ;) 

Actually some ICE's are really quiet at low speeds/idle, A few years ago I didn't realise my brand new petrol car was running and tried starting it a few times...

4 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I knew a blind guy over internet a couple of decades ago and that was exactly what he was worried about.  Cars that don't make noise.

Even I, gifted with multisensory abilities, fear cars that silently zip around and about.

In California they have said 'I got Priused today' for a number of years.