Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,314 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Keleth said:

So they´re running a test program for robotaxis but they have no robotaxi plans ?

They are showcasing ADAS. The article itself clearly says not before 2025. It's as I said: now the focus is on monetizing ADAS, later robotaxi.

We are talking about 12 cars, ffs. That's just advertisment.

20 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

It's as I said: now the focus is on monetizing ADAS, later robotaxi.

No you didn´t you said they had no robotaxi plans.

Big difference.

21 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

We are talking about 12 cars, ffs. That's just advertisment.

If that was Tesla you´d be close to orgasm.

@MikeMelga Any thoughts on the Ioniq 5 - which @fraufruit already mentioned? (not interested in FSD though)

I've driven my sister's 2018 Ioniq plug-in hybrid and found it lukewarm but this seems to be on a completely different level.

I took full 1 hour test ride for model3 and It was impressive, especially the pickup and thrust part :-)

I hope I don't have too much issues using public charging after I get it. The Tesla people told me that it is

possible even to install a charging box in a shared parking. I am not sure how it will work in my situation as we have two multi family houses next to each other. My underground car park is in other house adjacent to ours. If I manage to install charging box there, how will they calculate the tariff and how will I pay? THere was some information about some new law on charging boxes.

I have shared it with my landlord.

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/elektromobilitaet/laden/lademoeglichkeiten-mehrfamilienhaeusern/

Did they say why? So are you also totally dependent on Public charging? Is it feasible? Do you get a chance to fully charge your car during the week?

I have one around 900m from my house. I am not sure if prices differ significantly among public chargers

There are a couple of chargers on the streets around us. We aren't interested in using them, if there is one free, and then collecting our car after the 4 hr. or so limit is up. Especially in winter. Any way, they are always occupied.

If and when we can have our own charger, we will consider EV.

My brother in the US has a Tesla and his own supercharger. There was a person here on TT a while ago who had the same set up in Germany. I sure miss her. She and her wife have Teslas.

3 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

I hope I don't have too much issues using public charging after I get it.

Wouldn't you investigate this Before buying an EV?

37 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Nice profit, but I guess Tesla do not pay a dividend

Dividends are useless in most countries. They are an illusion for long term investors. What dividends tomorrow? Sell a bit of the stock.

Dividends would also mean they are no longer growing. It's amazing how this dividend culture still survived the end of the XXth century.

16 hours ago, circuits said:

@MikeMelga Any thoughts on the Ioniq 5 - which @fraufruit already mentioned? (not interested in FSD though)

I've driven my sister's 2018 Ioniq plug-in hybrid and found it lukewarm but this seems to be on a completely different level.

I drove the previous Ioniq Ev. Interior quality was a level above the disappointing Kona. It was a decent drive, but I think the new Ioniq is a completely different car.

Price wise, it will compete very well against the Model Y because the Model Y will most likely not get Umweltbonus (to be confirmed). I haven't checked the features yet.

21 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

It's amazing how this dividend culture still survived the end of the XXth century.

Maybe because millions of people are simply living off of their dividends and not touching their investments until needed. About half of my dividends are still being reinvested. Works for me.

55 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

It's amazing how this dividend culture still survived the end of the XXth century.

There are differences in the way they are taxed compared to cap gains for some jurisdictions.

You might notice that some activist investors demand dividends when they gain influence.   Search on Carl Icahn for example. 

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Maybe because millions of people are simply living off of their dividends and not touching their investments until needed. About half of my dividends are still being reinvested. Works for me.

Case one - tax innefective:

It depends on where you live. In Portugal, dividends are useless. Example: you own 1 unit of a certain stock. On the dividend day, the stock is worth 1€. Let's imagine the dividend is 1% of the stock value. Immediately the stock is devalued to 0.99€. The dividend will pay 28% of tax, the same as you would, if you had sold 1% of your stock, assuming profit.

In cases like Portugal, it's a psycological scheme, nothing else.

I know some countries have different regimes, but others don't.

Case two - what does it tell you about the company:

High dividend companies might not be good companies to invest long term. Why are they issuing dividends? Shouldn't they be reinvesting in growth? Maybe managers just want to keep stockholders happy so their bonus/stock options are good. They can also profit from stocks they own, without selling them, which looks bad for a manager. That's a very bad positive-feedback cycle. The more they issue, the more they earn! I'm pretty much convinced that nowadays dividends is a simple way for managers to get rich without selling the stock. Because they can't sell the stock until they leave the company!

Going back to Tesla. Tesla has no interest in pleasing stock holders on the short term. They want rapid growth. Why would they waste money on dividends? Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

High dividend companies might not be good companies to invest long term.

The Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG), The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO), Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ), and PepsiCo, Inc.  all pay dividends.  Not exactly startups.  All things change and nothing lasts forever.  All companies have differing goals and all companies are on different points of the business cycle.

Back to topic.

Had another look at the Ioniq offer in Germany. Right now only the low end version is available. The price after Umweltbonus is an incredible 26k€.

After the "mandatory" extras, it's around 30.7k€, quite impressive.

Of course the range is very limited, limiting it to a city car, let's see the prices when they show the bigger batteries.

As a city car it seems hard to beat right now.

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Had another look at the Ioniq offer in Germany. Right now only the low end version is available. The price after Umweltbonus is an incredible 26k€.

After the "mandatory" extras, it's around 30.7k€, quite impressive.

Of course the range is very limited, limiting it to a city car, let's see the prices when they show the bigger batteries.

As a city car it seems hard to beat right now.

Thanks for checking this out.

Max pimped-out version (AWD / 225kW / 72,6kWh) using their configuration page is 51.180€ - including the Umweltpraemie:

https://hyundai.de/code/L7BZWEAQ

Do you consider 460km highway / 640km city is a limited range?

The solar sunroof could be interesting... maybe 1/2 a full charge every couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, circuits said:

The solar sunroof could be interesting... maybe 1/2 a full charge every couple of weeks.

The link I quoted said a good bit less than that. Sucks if you use a garage, though.

The inspectors have again found that t----a installed tanks and equipment contravening the provisional permits.

Would you buy a new (or used) car from this organisation?

Reminds me of the phrase used by Richard Nixons opponents: 'would you buy a used car from this man?' 

28 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The link I quoted said a good bit less than that. Sucks if you use a garage, though.

Oh yeah, I totally misheard that. Thanks for the correction. Realistically looks like a 10- to 13-year amortization for that 1.500€  panel: https://passiondriving.de/2021/03/01/hyundai-ioniq-5-und-das-solardach-lohnt-sich-das-oder-oeko-statement/

As for the T-factory whoops: seems like pushing things is typical based on people I personally know who have been involved in the project. On the other hand, with huge projects like that things can definitely slip through the cracks through negligence or stupidity *cough* BER *cough*