Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,986 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Do you know how much an Astronaut, a Lego Master builder or a game developer make? Not much! Why? Because they love what they do and competition is fierce.

'

I do now and it shows the difference between your not much and my not much.

Astronaut starts on 66k,seniors 144k.

Game dev (I think you might have meant programmer) Average is $50 an hour.

Lego is 15 and hour which is what I would call an average pay.

6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Tech companies in general don´t disrespect the workers because they can leave at any moment, throwing away knowledge and training.

Some companies do abuse their workers and no matter how much you love them Tesla have done this in the past.

Also many of the workers at Tesla aren`t tech workers.

4 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

At least in the US, the union has to represent you even if you do not pay dues.

I believe that is only in right to work states and I don't believe that they get all of the benefits.

i.e. I went to the union's night school 2 nights per week for my apprentice training for 4 years combined, of course, with all the on-the-job training that I got.

6 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

At least in the US, the union has to represent you even if you do not pay dues. You get all the same benefits. So basically you are free-riding on others.  This often makes people feel disgruntled.

Here you can decide not to be part of the union and still get some "benefits", because big companies prefer to negotiate with the union a collective agreement instead of having to negotiate with every single employee (and potentially making mistakes, like the ones you find in very old individual contracts).

But you are not completely free-riding because being part of the union give you some extra benefits, like the union providing legal support when you have problems, financial support when you strike (against your own company or support-striking against other companies), etc.

I think that people who do not want to join the union should be allowed to do so - as long as they do not receive any of the benefits.  Such as weekends and safety equipment.  

In Germany there are two levels of "union benefits", the first layer is provided by the work council and it is for everyone, and the next layer is provided by the union itself.   You can decide not to join the union but you still have to accept what they negotiate in your name.

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

At least in the US, the union has to represent you even if you do not pay dues. You get all the same benefits. So basically you are free-riding on others.  This often makes people feel disgruntled.

I think that people who do not want to join the union should be allowed to do so - as long as they do not receive any of the benefits.  Such as weekends and safety equipment.  

True, I'm not normally a Union person and wouldn't have done joined if I felt I was being treated fairly.

5 hours ago, Keleth said:

I do now and it shows the difference between your not much and my not much.

Astronaut starts on 66k,seniors 144k.

Shitty pay, even on the high end.

This guy has to commit himself to a mission sometimes for a decade. He is top of his field, probably a PHD. He has a risk of death similar to a deployed troop. He will suffer several low gravity illnesses, some of them for life He will be away from family up to one year.

And yet at most he makes as much as a good project manager. Shitty pay.

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I believe that is only in right to work states

What is a "right to work state"?

14 hours ago, Krieg said:

support-striking against other companies

Is that even legal? In Germany I don´t think it is.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Is that even legal? In Germany I don´t think it is.

Of course it is legal.  For example, companies A, B and C are all unionized through the same union.  If company A strikes then employees of companies B and C that belong to the union can strike as well and go and join company A employees in their strike activities.   The union will provide financial support for employees that are striking, including employees from companies B and C.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Of course it is legal.  For example, companies A, B and C are all unionized through the same union.  If company A strikes then employees of companies B and C that belong to the union can strike as well and go and join company A employees in their strike activities.   The union will provide financial support for employees that are striking, including employees from companies B and C.

jeba gotta jeba. Solidaritätsstreik.

19 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

This guy has to commit himself to a mission sometimes for a decade. He is top of his field, probably a PHD. He has a risk of death similar to a deployed troop. He will suffer several low gravity illnesses, some of them for life He will be away from family up to one year.

That's why they (including shes) are considered heroes.  

20 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Shitty pay, even on the high end.

And yet at most he makes as much as a good project manager. Shitty pay.

I`m not actually sure what point you`re trying to make here.

You show an example of someone who is willing to go above and beyond in the field of advancing human knowledge.

What you`re not showing is someone being abused by their employers.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

I`m not actually sure what point you`re trying to make here.

You show an example of someone who is willing to go above and beyond in the field of advancing human knowledge.

What you`re not showing is someone being abused by their employers.

I'm showing jobs where people work well below expected pay, because they really want to work on that field. Nobody complains that Astronauts are abused, although their job would certainly be classified as abusive if you take it out of context.

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Nobody complains that Astronauts are abused, although their job would certainly be classified as abusive if you take it out of context

And taking it out of context is exactly what you`re doing.

Without the abuse to the body an astronaut cannot be an astronaut.

It is nowhere in the same ballpark as someone working on the factory floor at Tesla being expected to work all hours,getting injured due to bad safety practices and on and on.Yep they get stock options but how much stock do you realistically expect a worker to be able to buy.

Your mindset seems to think that all workers at Tesla are tech workers who are doing their dream jobs.

I reckon the Berlin factory could be part of an exit strategy for Musk where his company is much more likely to be bought out by a German carmaker if he already has a plant in Germany.

19 minutes ago, arsenal21 said:

I reckon the Berlin factory could be part of an exit strategy for Musk where his company is much more likely to be bought out by a German carmaker if he already has a plant in Germany.

No, they will most likely supply power train and batteries for a German car manufacturer. My bet is Mercedes.

They´ve stated in the previous earnings call that they are willing to do it as soon as they have overcapacity. AFAIK, they already have overcapacity on powertrain.

It could also be a mega deal with Fiat, as Fiat is clearly lost in this EV thing.

VW has just clarified it is not looking for such a deal, although everything is possible.

BMW and Audi is highly doubtful as both companies  administrations are full of assholes who think they are the best.

1 hour ago, arsenal21 said:

Come on, seriously? Musk will launch himself into the sun before selling his company to among the most conservative industrialists there are.

14 minutes ago, alderhill said:

Come on, seriously? Musk will launch himself into the sun before selling his company to among the most conservative industrialists there are.

Maybe that's his exit strategy. Go out in the greatest blaze of glory ever. When the last of his companies goes tits up and the investors lose patience with him, he'll climb on his big rocket and head straight to the center of the solar system.

He's just fooling everyone into thinking he wants to go to Mars.