Tesla Gigafactories, News and Conversation

2,313 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, DanglingPointer said:

Hi,

Does it make sense to buy a Tesla in Munich, if one doesn't have a charging setup at home? How feasible is it to charge it a public place (Trudering/Berg-am-laim) area once a week or charge it at times doing grocery shopping during the week.

TIA

I have a Model 3 in Munich, and it is not a problem at all for me to charge publicly.  There are 4 SWM chargers within view from by balcony.  Sometimes on the weekends it's tough to get a spot to charge, but during the week it's never an issue.  And since I've been in home office for 1.5 years, I can always charge during the day if necessary.  But with a Model 3 LR, I honestly only have to charge once per week unless we do a long trip -- in which case I charge to full before we depart and then maybe we need to charge on the way, depending on where we go. 

Do not assume you can just charge while shopping.  With the explosion of Tesla and now VW, not to mention the PHEVs, there are rarely available chargers at Lidl, Aldi, etc.  One's time is more valuable than saving 10€ on a charge session by waiting a half an hour for a free spot to open up. 

Anyway, the onus is on you to determine where the public chargers near you are and how busy they are.  Here's SWM's map.  I live outside of the DriveNow business area, which means that the chargers here are not blocked for days on end by DriveNow cars.  Hopefully you are in the same situation.  :)

Thanks @CincylnDE

Do you park your car overnight for charging at these public charging stations?

Right now I am waiting for Tesla guys to answer, when can they offer me a test ride and if I order how long it takes for the delivery. They are pretty slow win responding :(

I configured it through carwow and dropped them a message for test ride (Tesla Store Munich-Triebwerk)

Lets hope what they can offer. 

TIA

1 hour ago, DanglingPointer said:

Hi,

Does it make sense to buy a Tesla in Munich, if one doesn't have a charging setup at home? How feasible is it to charge it a public place (Trudering/Berg-am-laim) area once a week or charge it at times doing grocery shopping during the week.

TIA

Yes, there is a supercharger in the Pasing Arcaden, you can charge for 2-3 weeks within 30 minutes. I think another two will open in the city till the end of year.

Otherwise, you can leave your car parked for a few hours on a public charger. For long trips outside the city, there are superchargers all around.

I do not park overnight at a charging station.  1) there's no need to; the car is usually "full" (90% state of charge) within 4 hours.  2) It's my opinion that one should free up the spot for others to charge, even if it's late at night and even if the rules allow you to leave the car there all night (until 8am the next day).  Most people wouldn't park in front of a gas pump, either.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would contact Tesla directly and forget going through car wow. 

If you are susceptible to incontinence I suggest you wear diapers for the test drive. The acceleration is incredible. 

11 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Yes, there is a supercharger in the Pasing Arcaden, you can charge for 2-3 weeks within 30 minutes. I think another two will open in the city till the end of year.

Otherwise, you can leave your car parked for a few hours on a public charger. For long trips outside the city, there are superchargers all around.

The "problem" with the supercharger at Pasing is that you cannot get your shopping done before the car is finished charging, lol. 

The Supercharger at OEZ is chronically blocked by ICE cars apparently, so that station is not currently viable.  Pasing does not have that problem.

Was just reading that the whole of Germany has some 45,000 public charging stations by the end of 2020. Tiny Netherlands already has 60,000 plus 150,000 private ones. Definitely, different agendas.

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Was just reading that the whole of Germany has some 45,000 public charging stations by the end of 2020. Tiny Netherlands already has 60,000 plus 150,000 private ones. Definitely, different agendas.

Tiny Netherlands doesn't have BMW, VW, etc. pulling the strings?

Sounds good. I hope I can get a Test ride plus get the car quickly as my old BMW has transmission issues and I don't want to drive it any more. May be time for a change to EV. Everyday I am convincing myself to get into Tesla, but then hold myself back. Hybrid looked a safer option to me till now, but it all depends on driving experience of Tesla.

I hope we can find enough charging stations during long  distance trips within Europe, like going to Croatia or say Slovenia or some other places.

17 minutes ago, DanglingPointer said:

I hope we can find enough charging stations during long  distance trips within Europe, like going to Croatia or say Slovenia or some other places.

Mike was kind enough to help me with routes and charging stations, with this planning tool

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=3b44d29b-ed76-418d-8610-4a77e7f1312e

Try it out on the places where you want go to, Croatia etc, you will get a feeling of the charging stations and ti es to get there etc.

Did hear somewhere that you do not get a test drive with tesla, you order the car, when it comes you are allowed to return the car and get your money back, if you do not like it for upto a week, not sure if it's true, the tesla owners on here should know this 

4 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Good one. We have Donkervoort. They just produce a few dozen cars per year. Hand-made and very exclusive: https://www.donkervoort.com/en/

Exclusive enough to enjoy responding to all the people who do a double-take and ask, "What? You drive a donkey fart?" 😂 

16 hours ago, yesterday said:

Did hear somewhere that you do not get a test drive with tesla, you order the car, when it comes you are allowed to return the car and get your money back, if you do not like it for upto a week, not sure if it's true, the tesla owners on here should know this 

You do get to test drive a Tesla. I've done one for a Model S in 2018.

The 7 day return is unfortunately gone since last year, as it was being abused.

What I recommend is DONT test drive unless you are willing to buy one :D

Another small note: if you test drive the Model 3 Performance, be aware that the Long Range version has a much smoother ride due to 18" rims and smoother suspension. For me the Performance was too rough for a commuter.

I test drove a model 3 with a good friend last month: my friend wasn’t convinced: he also test drove a Mustang Mach-E and liked it more.  I liked it but it didn’t make me pull out my wallet right away.. my wife has approved us buying one soon though.

If I opt for Enhanced Autopilot option, I believe I can upgrade later to Full Autonomous driving later.

There is an option to order it from Tesla.com. It shows delivery in November 2021. The price it shows on tesla.com for basic model3 with Enhanced Autopilot add-on is €43, 790. It says I can pay 100€ and order today.

For same configuration Carwow shows me that I can buy it for €38,770. This price looks cool. However, after configuring it on Carwow, I have tried to message from there the dealer in Munich and Ulm, but no one gets back till now :)

I wanted to speak to someone to arrange a test drive and how this Carwow price will work and if I like it I can go for it. Also, carwow shows an easy finance option where I can pay around 10k and split the payments. there is no such option on Tesla.com

tesla.JPG

1 hour ago, DanglingPointer said:

If I opt for Enhanced Autopilot option, I believe I can upgrade later to Full Autonomous driving later.

Tesla just launched a FSD subscription in USA this week. If you buy EAP now, subscription will cost less. Or you buy nothing and just subscribe the whole package later.

I've tested EAP for 15 days back in March. TBH it's not worth it right now in Germany. It works very well in US, but it's not yet adapted to Germany. This will change later in the year, AFAIK they are building a team in Germany to adapt EAP and FSD to European specifics. Why not buy it or subscribe it later?

There is an option to order it from Tesla.com. It shows delivery in November 2021. The price it shows on tesla.com for basic model3 with Enhanced Autopilot add-on is €43, 790. It says I can pay 100€ and order today.

Don't forget you get back 6000€ from Umweltbonus. My math shows final price of 38.770€, including EAP.

For same configuration Carwow shows me that I can buy it for €38,770. This price looks cool. However, after configuring it on Carwow, I have tried to message from there the dealer in Munich and Ulm, but no one gets back till now :)

That's the exact same price from Tesla. Why are you placing a middle man?

I wanted to speak to someone to arrange a test drive and how this Carwow price will work and if I like it I can go for it. Also, carwow shows an easy finance option where I can pay around 10k and split the payments. there is no such option on Tesla.com

You do have that option from Tesla website. Bottom of the screen.

Ah, one more detail: when ordering from Tesla website, start the process from a referral link, that will give you 1500km free supercharging to you and to your referral! You cannot add the referral after the process is complete.

On 7/17/2021, 10:59:39, Janx Spirit said:

Putting words in others' mouths...

Exhibit 1 for the defence...

On 7/18/2021, 10:33:55, MikeMelga said:

You are 100% wrong. They don't know how to build electric cars. They are (in most cases) still reusing old platforms. They completely missed the vertical integration. They have crappy software. Their supplier network and their dealership and service network is a liability, not a plus.

They invested in factories which are now obsolete. Those factories would take a decade to pay for itself. Who will pay for them? Their highly skilled mechanical engineers are now useless, they need software developers, not mechanics. They have no battery factories.

They still have hundreds of chips on their cars, all from different suppliers, which increases cost and invalidates OTA updates.

Their self driving is based on Mobileye, which despite being the most advanced ADAS system (same level as Tesla), is not theirs.

They still think of a car as a product, not as a mean for services.

Tesla will be a dominant automaker. I don't think they will be #1 in revenue in 2030, like some forecast, but Tesla will be top 3.

I really like this concept of putting magnets in the road so no use to stop and charge. They are finally implementing it in a study in Indiana. The question is, who would pay for it?

The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) has begun the first phase of a project to transform a segment of the state's highway into wireless charging pavement for electric vehicles, according to local news WRTV

INDOT partnered with Advancing Sustainability through Power Infrastructure for Road Electrification (ASPIRE) Initiative, in a three-phase project that will use magnetizable concrete, developed by a German startup Magment GmbH, to allow seamless wireless charging of electric vehicles while in motion. 

here

Thanks @MikeMelga and everyone else for the detailed comments.

Reserved my Tesla -3. Called Telsa Munich office and found a very nice chap. He said they don't have any appointments available for Test Drive for few weeks, but agreed to give an appointment for consultation and ordering on a short notice. We just went there in the afternoon and out of discussions he let us drive his model-3 for 10 mins and we were pretty impressed by the car. So everything was done quite quickly and now we are waiting for October or November delivery.  He also gave us 1500 free super charging km gift :)

Pretty impressive customer service. I will never imagine to buy BMW or Audi so quickly in just 1 hour!